• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Coro sign pricing

tylercrum

I'm having a bit of a struggle with some folks here about pricing on coro signs. Just 24"x18" with an h-stake. Small quanitites, 10, 20, 30. double-sided.
I'm curious what other folks are charging for them. I don't think we're charging anywhere near enough, because we're not pricing them correctly.
At this moment, we're printing and mounting, looking for a flatbed July or August.
Anyone who wants to chime in on what youre charging for those quanities etc would be appreciated. Totally understand if folks don't want to advertise their prices out there though. thanks in advance.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, what are you charging ??

That's all that really matters. Ya shouldn't base your prices on what someone else is getting. Their overhead, cost of operation and whatever else... might not fit your model at all.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
You are printing and mounting them? That's your problem. If you aren't screening or printing directly on the Coro, you're adding too much cost & time to the project.
If you're doing sets of 10, sub them out. You'll thank me when you click the mouse a few times and a couple days later your signs show up in a box. No mounting, cutting, etc.
Smarter not harder :)

Andy D

To answer your question more directly, if I had to print and mount vinyl to both both sides of a 4'x8' coro sheet,
making sure all the 18"x24" register correctly, I would price the 18"x24" around $30 each, and that's if all 10 had the same layout,
and I wouldn't discount much for larger orders. What we actually charge is quite a bit less than that because we're able to print directly to the coro
and get special pricing because we buy coro by the pallet.

FatCat

Anything more than 10+ we usually send out. Signs2Trade or Signs365 offers very competitive pricing, and their quality is great - and on a small order of 10-20 signs, what you save by doing them yourself is laughable. However, for really small orders of 1-9 signs we usually do them in-house, print and stick, but we're usually charging a premium because of it.

fresh

We've actually found printing on GF 220 and mounting with a big squeegee to be just as cost efficient and fast as sending out full color jobs up to about qty 30. The labor cost vs. cost for DTM is a wash, so I'd rather pay my employees than send that money out. Of course if we're slammed I'd send it out, but usually we have an hour here or there to get these done in house.

And most jobs past qty 30 aren't full color anyway, because the price doesn't really go down much with higher quantities as much as it does with screen printing (Hello Firesprint!)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've actually found printing on GF 220 and mounting with a big squeegee to be just as cost efficient and fast as sending out full color jobs up to about qty 30. The labor cost vs. cost for DTM is a wash, so I'd rather pay my employees than send that money out. Of course if we're slammed I'd send it out, but usually we have an hour here or there to get these done in house.

And most jobs past qty 30 aren't full color anyway, because the price doesn't really go down much with higher quantities as much as it does with screen printing (Hello Firesprint!)

If you actually had a flatbed, you would see how foolish those statements or thinking really is. Whether it be for 1 or 2 or 50 to 250.

I can have 10pcs 2 sided finished in about 1/2 hour and my printer is slow. There is no vinyl cost, no application cost and no monkey time involved.... let alone the cost of operation is far less than any inkjet.

reQ

Anything over 10 i would sub it out. You will be very lucky to get 30+ per sign when you mounting vinyl on. Usually people expect low price on them, thats where printing with flatbed or screening will cut your cost down a lot. And if you will be trying to compete with flatbed operators by giving same price with printing & mounting you will be in deeeeeeep hole.

2B

Flatbed/Screen printing. How would you compete with vinyl mounting?

you don't, even if you are using the very cheapest vinyl and 3rd party inks, the labor alone will cost you more. and for get about trying to use plotter vinyl for the 1 / 2 color designs. Plotter, weeding, transfer, and then stick

CanuckSigns

our tipping point for in house vs. outsource is 24 pcs, anything below that I can print on cheap vinyl, and mount with our rolls roller pretty quickly, I do charge more for this though. Over 24 pcs I send out to 4over, the quality is so-so, but they are yard signs so most people don't care, but the price can't be beaten, however turnaround time is about 4-5 days from when I order to when they show up.

Vinyldog

On common things like this I just check the history of how much time it took to do the job last time. Hours x $60 (for example) = price. If the job involves extra expensive materials obviously you want to consider that. I also take into account how much delivery time, re-do's exp. the customer requires and will add a hour for that.
At the end of the year if you feel you're making too much money you can always reduce your price. If you're not getting at least half the jobs you bid you may want to lower it.

fresh

If you actually had a flatbed, you would see how foolish those statements or thinking really is. Whether it be for 1 or 2 or 50 to 250.

I can have 10pcs 2 sided finished in about 1/2 hour and my printer is slow. There is no vinyl cost, no application cost and no monkey time involved.... let alone the cost of operation is far less than any inkjet.

And the cost to operate your shop is way higher than mine. You need a bigger space for that big ol' flatbed. You need more employees to run it. AND you're not going to wholesale those signs to me at your cost.

My point is that it costs me the same with materials and labor as it does to outsource the signs at smaller quantities. Your markup / and or shipping costs = my labor costs.

And I'd rather pay my employee to work than yours.

EDIT TO ADD: I charge a lot for full color corex, even at higher quantities. If they want cheap, they can get one or two color silk screened signs from FireSprint.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
And the cost to operate your shop is way higher than mine. You need a bigger space for that big ol' flatbed. You need more employees to run it. AND you're not going to wholesale those signs to me at your cost.

My point is that it costs me the same with materials and labor as it does to outsource the signs at smaller quantities. Your markup / and or shipping costs = my labor costs.

And I'd rather pay my employee to work than yours.

EDIT TO ADD: I charge a lot for full color corex, even at higher quantities. If they want cheap, they can get one or two color silk screened signs from FireSprint.

The way I see it, the cost of running our shop is covered by all the jobs we have going through at any given time. Generally, we have multiple jobs happening at one time. So, if the flatbed is running, the inkjets are printing and/or cutting and the gerber plotters are cutting..... all while someone is painting a sign or doing something out back or lettering a truck, we're doing at least $500 an hour. So, I think my overhead and other things are covered. We have 8,800 sq ft, so that's no biggie, either. Therefore, if something comes through and I hafta sharpen my pencil, I can easily do it without it hurting me at all. If I wanna be nice guy and sub something to you or someone else, I can do it and again, without hurting me. I don't do it here, because I am no longer a Merchant Member for several reasons. However, anyone working on volume, rather than onesies and twosies has a nice advantage over someone like you who needs to account for every minute and dollar being used.

The other part is, the more automated one becomes, the less employees one needs. To do 10 of these signs in a 1/2 hour, I need one person to start it and then they can go on to whatever, while the printer takes over. When it's done..... anyone can cut a piece of Cor-X in half a few times in about 2 minutes with fletchers and keen cutters. If we chug a little, I could average 25pcs 2-sided an hour.... almost 30 an hour.

When we're all finished, if we get $5. a pop we are making over 3-1/2 times all of our costs with profit and overhead included.

Just your materials alone, using the cheapest vinyl, ink and someone to mount it both sides and cut everything has got to be close to $8 to $10 at cost. Mine's under $1.50. Granted, I could be off by a few cents, but like I said, it's being made up on some other job, hence why some things here or there can go out dirt cheap and we still make a good buck.

Vinyldog

I think sub-contracting can be a good idea sometimes. But you are giving your customers name and what he buys to another shop.

paul luszcz

We stopped printing and mounting lawn signs when we calculated fairly that our cost was $30 each, with materials, overhead and labor accounted for.

We can buy high quality double sided UV prints at $12 each and cheap ones at $6. I just got an ad today for a wholesale supplier offering 10 signs for $37.

Buy ten and through eight away and it's still cheaper than producing them in house. You might use cheaper vinyl and cheaper labor and you may have less overhead than we do, but we're not that slow and I don't how you'd ever get that $30 cost down to $4. Sell them for whatever price you can get.

Why do so many sign shops insist on doing it themselves, regardless?

Billct2

"I think sub-contracting can be a good idea sometimes. But you are giving your customers name and what he buys to another shop."
Not a problem if you use true wholesalers like the merchant members here.
There are only a few local shops I sub to (Hi Bruce) and I trust them.