• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Coroplast "banner" on box truck

ChrisN

So one of our customers has a small Transit box truck (12') that they want to have some type of changeable display. They would prefer some type of paneled system using coroplast instead of a banner. Is there any system that exists for something like this? The closest I've found is a snap-frame system they use on bus sides, but I'm not sure if that system would scale up to the size we need (6'x12' roughly). The last thing we want is them driving down the highway and having panels fly out!

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
How about using a snap frame + velcro placement on the back to secure it. The snap frame would make it more "aerodynamic" per se...

Marlene

what will you do for the seems between the panels needed to make that size? it seems like coroplast is too whimpy for this

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most of the transit busses vary in size, but generally not much over 30" x 84" to 96" with some up to 120".

At the size you're needing, I'd be afraid to use Cor-X. The customer just might hafta bite the bullet and put a banner system in there. Heck, make sure he checks with his insurance company about this and don't be foolish and say you'll stand behind it regardless of what people tell you they.... T H I N K.​

rjssigns

Years back I did a bunch of box trucks with 4' x 8' coro panels. I riveted J-channel for mirrors on the top, bottom and front. The rear piece of J-channel was removable and used small screws to hold it in place. To keep the panel from bowing out at speed a couple strategically placed strips(offset from center) of VHB tape did the trick.

Elegant? Maybe not to some, but the finished install looked clean. The vehicles were going to be used in a vandal prone area and they wanted a quick change out. It's the best I could come up with nearly 20 years ago.

Not sure how 6' x 12' would work. Probably asking for trouble.

There are systems now that allow you to attach a "banner" to the side of semi's. Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VAbacXnBTw

ChrisN

How about using a snap frame + velcro placement on the back to secure it. The snap frame would make it more "aerodynamic" per se...

That's what I was leaning toward. Also, the overall dimensions of the box are roughly 6.5'x12', so a single 5x10 piece of coro would cover most of the sides, leaving a 6"-8" margin. I don't really want to recommend multiple panels.

jfiscus

Rap Master
The snap frames with a heavyweight banner in them will work fine. That is what you're looking for, but I can't recall who makes them anymore.