• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cost of HF router?

eggnog316

The "module" that plugs in would be the same. You would just need a longer hose and wiring if you got one for a F1612. If I was in your position that is what I would do if they didn't make the F1330 one anymore.
That's what I was thinking as well. We were already going to fabricate a new gantry that pivots 90 degrees parallel with the table. Since the vertical routing gantry would be in the way when we're loading/unloading 4x8 boards.

Unless there are different electrical requirements for each table or some sort of liability issue, I don't see the problem

ProColorGraphics

That's what I was thinking as well. We were already going to fabricate a new gantry that pivots 90 degrees parallel with the table. Since the vertical routing gantry would be in the way when we're loading/unloading 4x8 boards.

Unless there are different electrical requirements for each table or some sort of liability issue, I don't see the problem
It plugs in the same as any other module. I haven't had any issues with mine being in the way loading boards. I have some other routing mats that I like WAY better. I will send you info on those.

greysquirrel

You can cut everything the hf can cut, you may just need to cut it in a few passes. The only thing you cannot do with standard router is polished edges on acrylic.

John Miller

Do yourself a favor and invest in quality. There are quite a few American made CNC machines that will serve you well. the proper bit is the key to clean edges. Check out Tools Today, they sell all you'll need.

John Miller

You can cut everything the hf can cut, you may just need to cut it in a few passes. The only thing you cannot do with standard router is polished edges on acrylic.
You can get about 90 percent of the look of polished edges with a diamond bit. they are expensive but the finish is amazing. Cut with a single flute bit then last pass 1 or 2 thousands with the diamond bit. I saw a video on u-tube

CanuckSigns

If polished edges on acrylic is what you are after, can't beat a laser cutter, much faster and no expensive tooling needed.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Phil, I just saw your email. I appreciate the follow up.

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to "jerry-rig" a standard router gantry from a different F series to the 1330? We'd be able to lengthen the wiring+vacuum hose and fabricate a new gantry if needed.
I can't see how it wouldn't work if you were willing to fabricate the new gentry (that is what I would do) just
Consider the possibility that you may find out WHY they are not interchangeable

eggnog316

Do yourself a favor and invest in quality. There are quite a few American made CNC machines that will serve you well. the proper bit is the key to clean edges. Check out Tools Today, they sell all you'll need.
I'd normally agree, but we just don't have the volume to justify a standalone CNC machine, maybe 30-40 sheets per week. Plus they're pretty "light" materials like wood, acrylic, ACM, rigid foam, etc so a real CNC machine might be overkill

I can't see how it wouldn't work if you were willing to fabricate the new gentry (that is what I would do) just
Consider the possibility that you may find out WHY they are not interchangeable
Yep I can't think of any other reason besides needing more slack to reach the corners of our larger table. I really doubt Summa designed different electrical components for each model's router.

The standard router for our F1330 is no longer produced and Summa doesn't have a single one in stock anywhere in the world, according to Phil, Summa, and another dealer we spoke to. Might end up being a very expensive paperweight but we think it's worth the risk.

Also if anyone would be willing to post pictures of the finishing of their Summa standard router, we would really appreciate it. There is very little information online regarding the router.

FrankLacroix

The HF Router is that ridiculously overpriced! I have the standard router and route ACM all day without any issues! There is no way I would pay that much for it. I remember finding that Sykotec spindle they use for that and it was only like $3k. haha
I had the standard router, I changed to the HF because I cut plexiglass 16 hours a day during covid. And I was able to increase my x2 cadence. I had impressions on plexiglass with registration marks. And I no longer had space available in my workshop. Very good purchase for me.

greysquirrel

Hello, we have a Summa Flatbed and are looking to purchase a HF router.

We received one quote for $23k and it seems extremely high. We have a discontinued model (F1330) so we've only been able to get a single quote.

I was hoping to get some advice from those who have purchased either a regular or HF router for their F series. Are we getting gouged?

Also, for those who have a router, how well does it cut ACM? Does it leave smooth edges?
Should cost no more than 15k installed

eggnog316

Should cost no more than 15k installed
You'd think so but they won't budge on the price. Even though it's literally the last HF router in the world for our specific flatbed. They'd rather let it sit in their inventory

Can't justify spending that much money on a single tool, we're just gonna get a dedicated 4x8 cnc machine instead for ~20k.

We thought about modifying a different model's standard router to fit our table but got a strong worded email from Summa saying that we will void all warranties and they won't service our machine if we do that.

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
I have (2) standard router spindles I am looking to sell. ;) Along with several different sized collets, both standard and metric.
Hello, we have a Summa Flatbed and are looking to purchase a HF router.

We received one quote for $23k and it seems extremely high. We have a discontinued model (F1330) so we've only been able to get a single quote.

I was hoping to get some advice from those who have purchased either a regular or HF router for their F series. Are we getting gouged?

Also, for those who have a router, how well does it cut ACM? Does it leave smooth edges?
what collet options do you currently have?