• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Critique me! 100 Yard Sign order

rawjahprintshop

The next time I get a boring job, 100 Coro signs, I am going to get Tex to find the cheapest way to get it printed. With all the newbies on here he may have found a new business with sub-sub contracting.

how come questions can’t just be answered without all the know it’s alls showing up?

Know it alls are allowed to be nice to be too, you know… I gaurentee there was a time you had these type of questions… at the age of 20 I think I’m doing alright.. smarter to come here and ask, before taking on the job right?!

Johnny Best

When I was 20 years old there was no internet or computers. And Coro was not around much less vinyl. No question is stupid if you don’t know the answer.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
how come questions can’t just be answered without all the know it’s alls showing up?

Know it alls are allowed to be nice to be too, you know… I gaurentee there was a time you had these type of questions… at the age of 20 I think I’m doing alright.. smarter to come here and ask, before taking on the job right?!
You asked to be critiqued.

Johnny Best

If I was a "know it all" I would have know you were 20, which I did not know that and also if I was a "know it all" I would have noticed you were from Canada and probably realized you are a thin skinned liberial who has to say something negitive if they don't like the feedback from someone.

rawjahprintshop

If I was a "know it all" I would have know you were 20, which I did not know that and also if I was a "know it all" I would have noticed you were from Canada and probably realized you are a thin skinned liberial who has to say something negitive if they don't like the feedback from someone.
Roger that. fuck Canada huh?!

binki

I am a little confused on your cost on these but more interested in the labor. How long to mount each sign? When we do these things in house we use a 4x8 sheet, mount one side and then cut it out and mount the other. The second side is a little more difficult but once you get going it is a system that works. Still, it takes me an hour to mount 10 single sided. That is after they are printed, trimmed and masked.

As far as your pricing per unit, it seems close to something we would charge but for 100 signs, all the same, I would sub it out.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Just gonna say, the order is outside of the op's wheelhouse. Better to let his friend fulfill his order with his current source, and hit up the op with the piddly projects that are more within his capabilities, and can't be outsourced with larger production houses.

rawjahprintshop

Just gonna say, the order is outside of the op's wheelhouse. Better to let his friend fulfill his order with his current source, and hit up the op with the piddly projects that are more within his capabilities, and can't be outsourced with larger production houses.
it's not a big deal I quoted out numbers i thought I had right and could take care of him but I cant..
once again though, that's the beauty of being able to come here !!

He's paying me $150 for the signed artwork and doing the "labor" of getting them to him, I can't complain with that. I can thank you guys though because I was able to learn and then share it with him so he understood, too.

I mean don't get me wrong, I don't mind the 1000 sticker orders, or the 200 and 500 sticker orders, and keeping the printer running all day and the flatbed cutting simultaneously...it pays the bills the is absolutely for sure... Mix in the motocross and offroad kits, the one-off jobs that are picked up weekly for excitement, & I can't complain with what each week coming home with!

had 1 boss in my lift and plan to never have another lol... I would like to figure out more in this industry though and go bigger with the projects that I'm currently at...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're kinda weird. Your profile says you're from Canada and California. Odd......... it also says you're 33 years old, but you say you're 20. Odd......... It goes on to say, you have lotsa experience, yet you confess to be dumb and naive. What's your angle ?? Do you know how to speak the truth ??

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have a question. The artwork is $150...is each sign the same on both sides or is this like a different name/photo on each sign like, for high school graduation? If you are doing 100 signs and they are all different such as uploading graduation photos...you are NOT charging enough. I only print small orders in-house for coro signs, the rest I order out. FireSprint or Signs365 does this kind of thing. And you can make each sign different.

If all signs are the same then this is off of Signs.com, I often check my prices against them when I have larger quantities.

1653314400297.png

spectrum maine

Alright fellow sign101ers!

I have a customer whos also a friend that doesnt expect any deals or anything of the sort because we are both business owners, him much more successfull, but understands
what we go through day in and day out!!

So, the order goes as follows:

-100, yard signs, 18" x 24",
-100 Sign Stakes
-200 Artwork Plus Media Artwork plus Vinyl (2 sided

So here are the prices I got for him

18 x 24 Corrugated Plastic Signs..... 100 x $6.23+$623.00
10X15 Sign Stakes ...............................................................................$147.00
20 18"X24" Custom Artwork with thin Laminate/Labor ....... $394.00

I paid 316 for my product, the signs and stakes for pickup, no shipping

i charged him , $1,234.07
So that would technically put each Sign and Stake (bundle) at $12.34ea What are your guys' initial thoughts when you read this?

SO THE PROBLEM NOW....Custom, remember, a good friend, but will also check pricing etc, messaged me back and said:

"Call you in a bit, I have no idea but normally when I buy 100 its around $500."

I have a feeling he's using a vista print-type company that I have no chance of competing with...

Thank you all!!!!!!!
D

Thank you for any help in advance, trying to seal up this order!
order from a wholesaler add 1-200% and do a profitable in the time you saved

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Even with all the high dollar machines, it doesn't seem worth it to make a double sided sign for 5 bucks. Are these like a loss leader for the wholesalers or just a necessary evil to lure in the better jobs?
Stacey is correct too, we charge decent money for anything with variable data. It takes a bit of time to set them up and any reprints along the way if any get screwed up in finishing can be a PITA

Billct2

Just had a customer (liquor store) ask for a quote for coro yard signs, told him his best price is at 10 pcs dbl sided and gave him the number. Then he dropped off the text, each has 10-12 lines of items with prices and he wants to add pics, and there are 4 different designs...."No thanks, sorry I don't do that for the price quoted and they're a waste of money no will be able to read them"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Same here.
Had a lady call about needing signs for a book sale about 3 weeks ago. Told her of the first price break at 10 signs and how much they'd be. She said, that's not too bad. Then she said, Can it say something different on the back side ?? Well, yes, but they'll be a slight additional charge for that. Oh, why ?? Cause we hafta sit and do a second layout to feed into the system. Oh. You do realize that all of these signs will be totally different with pictures and different categories ?? Ahh..... no. That'll be a totally different price. I originally thought these were all the same. Oh no, we have lotsa book we want to advertise. We worked something out and we still made money, but I couldn't keep the original price. The thing I had in my favor was, she didn't care what copy or pictures went on the opposite. So, doing these on a flatbed, we just ganged for first 10, then flipped it nad did the second 10. We did that 4 times for a total of 40 different prints. All the work being done on the computer took a little extra time and once I got into it, It was rather easy. Took about an extra hour, so it only added about $1.85 a face. She was still happy. Printing them was the same as doing 40 all the same. The flatbed really helps regardless.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It's funny because people know that these little details will raise the price so they conveniently leave them out when asking for a quote, even waiting until the very end to spring crap on you. Sure there are some real knuckledraggers out there that really don't know but most people know exactly what they are doing.

CanuckSigns

It's funny because people know that these little details will raise the price so they conveniently leave them out when asking for a quote, even waiting until the very end to spring crap on you. Sure there are some real knuckledraggers out there that really don't know but most people know exactly what they are doing.
Yup, happens all the time, someone calls looking for a "ballpark" quote, give you vague specs, you give them a range from $100 -300, they place the order, and a bunch of details that raise the price and don't understand why you won't honour the $100 price you "quoted them"