• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer Complaint -"Sign Flickers"

vid

One of our installers went out to service a "flickering" sign. Upon arrival, he wasn't sure what to do. So, he took a couple of pictures and came back to the show us the problem.

Admittedly, I don't know much about the electrical aspect of sign making. BUUUUTTTTT, it's glaringly obvious to me that someone used a twinkle bulb. Duh... :rolleyes: It's that bulb that's causing the perceived "flickering."

It's just amazing to me that our electrician couldn't pinpoint the problem and fix it on site. ...:banghead:

File this under: "it never ceases to amaze me."

Yes, this was as the sign appeared when the installer showed up. And he was nervous getting close to it with our company logo truck for fear that someone would think we touched it. There's not an insurance policy big enough.

It rained last week too. :banghead:

Attachments

• 101Illuminated_O_1.jpg
    101Illuminated_O_1.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 101Illuminated_O_2.jpg
    101Illuminated_O_2.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 101Illuminated_O_3.jpg
    101Illuminated_O_3.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 106

joeshaul

I bet $5 that someone's going to be upset next Thanksgiving. "I ain't buying no new lights for the house again this year, they should've been in the damn sign!"

petrosgraphics

the real problem, be it the owner or god forbid, some sign guy. actually thought that
this was ok!
jill said it right, ######## rediculus!!!!!

visualeyez

I was actually quite happy with the $350 I got for that job. Cut the letters out of some old plywood I had laying around. Hand drew them all from cards that the business said was Areyall or some corporate junk. Painted them with two coats of Krylon Silver. All the lights ran about $40 and I had the wood screws so I just winded them around those and they were set. I had my son do the wiring, he's put in some stereos and stuff. I thought the flicker bulbs would give it that Vegas look, No?

OK, I totally made that up, but it might have went down like that...
-Keith

vid

Okay, so one channel letter was wired wrong..... how 'bout the rest of them ??

I s'pose they're fine. Ain't no one seen sparks comin' outta those, yet. din't think it was necessary to check 'em out.
:help:

That's what prompted the service call... Someone saw sparks. :banghead:

...All the lights ran about $40.

Duuuuuuuuuuuude... what are ya thinkin'? Ya gotta wait 'til after the holidays and buy the lights errrrrrrrrrr, we're sign people we call 'em "lamps" for half price at the 99 Cent Store - an' build your inventory for the year. You'd be surprised at the availability of all sorts of great colors and styles that no one uses.

...and next time, use the Hammered finish paint - OMG, it's to die for! - It just sparkles in every direction :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I heard more of the story this afternoon. You can't... you can't... NO ONE can make this stuff up. I fear I'd be called to testify if I wrote any more about this in a public forum. ...and I don't know nuthin'. I... just... it's... and no, it was not a... I can't say.

If you're a landlord, you really need to think about doing an annual inspection with a qualified contractor.

...and this is purely conjecture... because I don't know anything about electricity.
Well, I do know two things about electricity:
  1. It hurts
  2. It hurts bad!
Buuuuuut, the other ends of those two wires?........ I'd want to turn off the power to the whole building before I crawled into that attic....... cause that looks like it could hurt reeeeeeeeeaally bad.