• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

customer did not spell check his proof

CentralSigns

I had a landscaper, I did a job for. Anyways full wrap on truck, big job and all. I sent out proofs, not once, but 3 times for approval, each with small changes, you know how it works. Anyways sent the last one out to the customer, he says perfect we'll go with that. I get a call about a month after the wrap is done. He says,"Hey dude you got my phone number wrong, couldn't figure out why no one was calling me". Fool never even looked at the proofs. No idea where the number came from, and to this day both he or I can't figure out how I got the number I did, as it wasn't his. We fixesd at 50% cost even then, I was a fool to agree to that.

ismoreno

I like typing up the text in Word then copy and paste to illustrator. This also has happened to me but a bi different, "Auto Body" was "Auto Repair" Customer signed off on it. I was the store fronts windows wrapped with view-thru vinyl and thats why I refuse to accept checks now!

Edserv

You CAN'T win on these client misssspllezzings. haha
No matter how you spell the terms out on your contract or proof email, you'll get these about 2% to 5% (or more) of the time.
I thought of an idea the other day- what about offering a "proof insurance" package for about 10% to 20% of the cost of the product? If they're willing to pay an extra $20 to $50 or more bucks, "take the heat" and put the proofing pressure on you (since it is anyway?) Of course, you'd need some disclaimers, which would also probably be abused, but hey, if you sold 20% of your customers on this package, at least you'd probably come out ahead, and would know (more than likely) when your client is really not going to pay attention.?
Good luck,
Chris
Lets Go Banners

Dave Drane

I rarely do printing, so I don't have this problem. I realize a typo in a 10-page booklet is different than for a sign. But, on signs or simple printed products like business cards or postcards:

1. If it were a word or name I should have spelled correctly, I'd take full responsibility. I feel it is my responsibility as a professional to correct all grammatical and spelling errors made by the customer on work orders, etc.

2. If it were a difficult-to-spell or unusual name and the customer spelled it incorrectly on info he gave me, then he takes full responsibility.

If there is any chance at all that a name or place could have an alternate or unusual spelling, I always make the customer give me the correct spelling.

:goodpost: I take responsibility too because most customers don'r spell correctly. One of the best ones I remember was the manager of a club that I was doing a menu board for had "Arla Kart Menu" on it. Imagine if I had sign written that on it?? I often make typos but when a sign was drawn out by hand the time was taken to make no spelling mistakes. I am a 1 finger typist and i can't look at the monitor while typing so many errors creep through. Modern english is more important today because of this and i don't believe that simple spelling should be allowed to just pass through here either.
Use proper punctuation and spelling here and it will help all the poor bastards that were never taught how to spell properly.

Dave Drane

:goodpost: I take responsibility too because most customers don'r spell correctly. One of the best ones I remember was the manager of a club that I was doing a menu board for had "Arla Kart Menu" on it. Imagine if I had sign written that on it?? I often make typos but when a sign was drawn out by hand the time was taken to make no spelling mistakes. I am a 1 finger typist and i can't look at the monitor while typing so many errors creep through. Modern english is more important today because of this and i don't believe that simple spelling should be allowed to just pass through here either.
Use proper punctuation and spelling here and it will help all the poor bastards that were never taught how to spell properly.

See how I didn't spell "Don't" correctly.. That was because I was checking on you lot!!:doh::ROFLMAO:

CanuckSigns

I find this is more and more likeley now that everyone reads their email on their Blackberry, it's impossible to read the small text on such a tiny screen. We have been stung by this before, the customer usually understands that they should have looked at the proof on a real computer, but we offer a bit of a discount on the re-print to keep them happy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How 'bout this scenario............

Customer gives you all the copy and you set it up and input the graphics and send them your ideas. So, the customer spelled everything correctly and knows he has, and is looking at the layout, composition, type styles, colors, white space and balance of the overall project. He is not on spell check duty since he thinks he has come to a fellow professional. He Okays the whole thing and afterward, someone spelled two words wrong and he is steaming. Who is really at fault ?? He... because you have a disclaimer stating you can make mistakes and he's responsible for them or you for not doing your job ??

As mentioned.... I can understand foreign words, names or oddly spelled words, but doesn't anyone double check your work ?? Don't you have proofreaders or is the same person inputting do their own proofing ?? Seems odd.

Now, the customer spells a word or two wrong and you miss it.... you're going to blame them for quickly overlooking a word.... even if it's an easy one and pass the blame off to them ?? You're the professional, but you can't spell, so it's their fault ?? :doh:

:banghead: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what just about everyone on this site does ?? Spell poorly and have literally no concept of grammar, let alone know how to get it done on their own, so they pass the blame off, since they already know they can't do it ??

Then you want to charge them again for doing business with you ??

Doesn't seem like a way to meet new customers if word gets around about your policy on certain things, let alone keep them as repeats. :rolleyes:

MikesSigns

If a customer misspells a word , I fix it. If it is questionable, like a slogan or business name, Kwik Kash, I will verify it with them. We are the professionals... ya we make mistakes, and all our work is proofed by a person not associated with the job. it only takes a moment. We screw up... we reprint , FREE. How many times has a new customer come to you and said " I want you to do this job because the other guy in town does not know how to spell". It is sad to hear... it hurts all of us in the long run. SLOW DOWN and CHECK YOUR WORK.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Well, I am with Geno and Myke.

We even try to call fone numbers and hit on web cites too ensure there is corect an acurat.

:toasting:

But if the name given is screwed up and the client doesn't catch it....

Bly

We screw up we reprint for nothing.

They screw up, they pay full price to reprint.

SignAnnex

It's happened to us before, we learned real quick to use spell check no matter who does the layout. It still happens with names and customer’s giving us the wrong phone number on occasion. We reprint for free because it's the right thing to do. We've had the same customers come back to us for more work. You fight with them there not coming back at best, at worst they'll tell others how you screwed up and tried to charge them twice.

PromoGuyTy

We do a lot of signs...and a lot of paper print from provided files.

We get signed proofs app. 2/3 of the time...email confirmed proofs most of the rest.

If we make mistake (pretty rare, really)...we reprint at no charge of course.

THEY make mistake...they'll pay 50%. And we're sure to tell them "Hey, even though you approved the proof as is, we'll do this reprint for you at 1/2 off if that sounds fair". It almost always sounds fair. Almost without fail, they KNOW they should've done their job by looking at the proof.

The question to reprint for free or not is pretty easy when it's a $50.00 banner.

It's not such an easy question if it's a $5000 job.

I should also mention that the ONLY way to train customers is via their pocketbook.

You think the customer that is lazy about looking at a proof...and gets a free reprint...is gonna check their proof super careful the next time? Nope.

If they had to pay for the reprint? Yep.

All that being said, if it's five common words on a banner, and we misspell one, then...yeh...we'd reprint for free.

Fitch

"We screw up we reprint for nothing.

They screw up, they pay full price to reprint."

SPOT ON.

If I go to a restaurant and they bring me the wrong meal - they replace it.

If I order the wrong thing - they don't offer to replace it and give it to me for 50%.

For God's sake people - THEY fuck@d up not you.

Although I would not do it, you are far better offering to give them 25% back, be done with it and let them live with THEIR mistake.

Next they will be "hiding" a mistake, getting you to reprint and getting twice the amount for 75% of real cost - using both, giving out "good" ones to professionals and "bad" ones to tyre kickers, and promotional drops.

For those that are reprinting @ 50% I hope you are getting the originals back and burning them so they can't be used at your expense.

Cheers - G

Dave Drane

And do you really think that this makes you more money over the long term or is it to let you think you won?...

WRONG! It is all about looking after your customer. It is not their responsobility to know proper English and punctuation. We as professionals are expected to provide them with a service and this is what we charge big bucks to do.

mark galoob

Wow I thought this thread was dead. Any way just FYI. After discussing this w my cust. I reprinted at 50percent of original cost as per our policy. He was ok with this and has done more business w me since

Mark galoob

signswi

Most of these problems go away if you do a final signoff proof with an actual signature required and your terms stated, including that copy accuracy is their responsibility to check over, but that corrections will be made at no cost. If they don't catch it, you don't catch it, they sign off, and it gets printed, it's their dime to reprint. Toss them a reprint discount if you're feeling nice. Pretty basic and standard...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
  • I'd like to clarify something I said earlier. :thankyou:

I'm still sticking to my guns as to whose fault I think it is, but I'd like to make clear the type of customer.

I was speaking strictly of retail customer.... end users, businesses off the street and so forth. For them, I still believe it's our duty to do it correctly. That's our job.

:noway: If you're receiving work orders or files from ad agencies, other sign shops and people in the trade, then it's completely a different story. They, like you and me, are also in the business of doing this sort of scrutiny and holding the same type of responsibility I was originally talking about. So, in this case with a business in the same industry, I would have the same attitude many of you here are expressing. I would not take responsibility for something I was told I didn't have to even look at... just push a button. Totally their fault and I might do the next one at 50%. I'd have to think about that part.

Jim Doggett

so i set up a small printing for a customer and i always advise my customers to proof and spell check, because once they tell me to print, i print...

well this guy did not spell check he just looked at the overall image. he did proof and asked for changes on the first proof, which i did, then sent him the proof to approve, then he said ok to print...then i printed...he brought it back today and there are a few misspellings...he is blaming me and wants me to reprint at my expense...i always reprint at 50% of cost...

im just curious what everyone else would do in this situation...

mark galoob

Bad situation, with no winners. You both should have caught it. If 50% is the norm, maybe split the difference (25% reprint) under the premise: "we both missed it and should thus both eat some of the cost of fixing it."

JMO