• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant Customer wants to see $1M proof of insurance for $48 banner

Lucky Sky

I received an email yesterday from a customer who needs proof of $1 million liability insurance before they will pay for a $48 banner that was ordered in May. ...REALLY? I'm not installing it and I know they price shopped me with some online options. My other option is to sign a waiver, which I haven't seen. Technically we have insurance, but I am in the middle of switching things up and I've only been asked for this from businesses where we are doing onsite installations.

I would love to hear some thoughts/suggestions.

CanuckSigns

if you did not install the banner you don;t need to provide any proof of insurance. Sounds like they are trying to wear you out in hopes you give up and they don't need to pay you.

Unless it's a construction company, they want proof of everything before they pay you, regardless of if you stepped foot on site or not.

Tell them your insurance company charges you $48 to get a clearance certificate made up and it needs to be paid in full before they run it :)

MikePro

kindly respond that you are not in the business for putting up your liability insurance for someone else's install.
they ordered a banner, you provided it, and they can't add terms to a past due invoice.
(also remind them of your policy of adding $20 for each month of past-due invoices, and $200 when it goes to collections at 90days, and see how they respond to not seeing those terms in your agreement)

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
They probably ask every vendor just to make their annual audit go smoother and the person requesting has zero authority to determine who doesn't need one. Some people are the same with W9s.

MI Bearcat

Doesn't make any sense and definitely don't sign anything. It's a banner. It's not structural so if it fails, so what? Exactly what are you liable for? What type of damages could it cause especially when your not installing it?

CanuckSigns

$48 with terms??

We have some customers who have $25 invoices on terms, the people picking up the order don't always have a credit card they can use. I don't mind if they want me to bill them for $5, as long as they pay in the time they are given (net 15, net 30) I'm happy.

If you do business with pretty much any larger company you need to extend them at least net 30 or they will go somewhere else, the process for them to have payment ready on pickup isn't efficient for them and they will find someone else, often the person cutting you a cheque doesn't even work in the same province as the guy picking up the order.

TammieH

Sometimes you just bite the bullet and do what the customer asks. Principles or not, Its not like you are being asked to donate a kidney.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We have some customers who have $25 invoices on terms, the people picking up the order don't always have a credit card they can use. I don't mind if they want me to bill them for $5, as long as they pay in the time they are given (net 15, net 30) I'm happy.

If you do business with pretty much any larger company you need to extend them at least net 30 or they will go somewhere else, the process for them to have payment ready on pickup isn't efficient for them and they will find someone else, often the person cutting you a cheque doesn't even work in the same province as the guy picking up the order.

Well, it doesn't seem like a longtime good customer because this sounds like this is the first time they are getting paid...by asking for insurance.

Simon Nussbaum

Beautiful Signs for a Better Planet
Always think about the lifetime value of the client before you peev them off. I'm guessing you have $1MM umbrella anyhow, so you can send your copy and paste email to your insurance guy, they will send it direct to client, it takes 15 seconds. If they are being jerks that's different but many corporations require that sort of thing and they end of being the best clients.

Stacey K

I like making signs
You don't know what they are using it for. Maybe they are rolling up a dead body in it for burial in a shallow grave behind an abandoned building. In that case they would need to be sure it won't rot too quickly. I can see their point.