• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant Customer wants to see $1M proof of insurance for $48 banner

Billct2

I call my insurance agent, 15 minutes later I have the form and forward it to the client. Who cares why they want or if they have a right to ask for it. I can either do it and keep a potential future client happy or ignore/fight it and lose the customer.

Superior_Adam

What size banner is $48?? a 1' x 6'? That's well below most minimum orders, especially ours
All depends on location. 3'x5' banner stitched with grommets retail is $52.50 for me. That does not include any art. I would love to be able to charge more but I lose a crap ton of bids because people are selling banners at $2.00/sqft (3'x5' for $30.00) out the door.

visual800

Covering their overly regulated bureaucratic a$$es. Yes, its stupid, pointless, waste of time and brain cells, welcome to working in the new century. Make a call and show then a COI and be done with it

netsol

You don't know what they are using it for. Maybe they are rolling up a dead body in it for burial in a shallow grave behind an abandoned building. In that case they would need to be sure it won't rot too quickly. I can see their point.

so stacey, when they roll up the dead body, in the newly produced banner, (they can't find an old carpet, like a law and order episode?) we want to give them our insurance certificate, so they can roll that up as well? kind of like inspector columbo finding my business card is the only thing in the ded man's pocket

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
No offense, but that is a basic general liability insurance policy that everyone in business should have. In the time it took you to write your post, you could have sent an email to your agent with client CC'ed and you would have trumped their BS. Do they need it, NO, but corporations with accounting departments have a list that is required before they will pay (W-9, General Liability, and Workers Comp).

Never let low dollar items leave the shop without payment unless they are a good client with payment history. If they are walk-ins they pay before you produce, especially if they are in a hurry. The ones in a hurry are always the ones that don't come back and you have to hound. We once had a client that wanted a going out of business banner, they couldn't understand why we wanted them to pay upfront. Needless to say, they went elsewhere and ripped someone else off.

netsol

No offense, but that is a basic general liability insurance policy that everyone in business should have. In the time it took you to write your post, you could have sent an email to your agent with client CC'ed and you would have trumped their BS. Do they need it, NO, but corporations with accounting departments have a list that is required before they will pay (W-9, General Liability, and Workers Comp).

Never let low dollar items leave the shop without payment unless they are a good client with payment history. If they are walk-ins they pay before you produce, especially if they are in a hurry. The ones in a hurry are always the ones that don't come back and you have to hound. We once had a client that wanted a going out of business banner, they couldn't understand why we wanted them to pay upfront. Needless to say, they went elsewhere and ripped someone else off.

jester absolutely true, but it seems odd, for so minor a purchase

one of my favorite anecdotes was 20 years ago, we were the 3rd party IT for probably the largest Century 21's in new jersey.

I had a gerber sm4 and occasionally did banners and cut vinyl

one of my favorite agents had just gotten married. she asked me for 1 sign rider with her new married name. I went back to the office, grabbed a piece of sintra, did it up and the next day I was at the office she worked out of. I handed her the rider told her it was $5. (I liked her) . she told me I would have to bill her so she had time to find out who was going to pay for this marketing expense.

she wasn't so much of a favorite after that

Stacey K

I like making signs
so stacey, when they roll up the dead body, in the newly produced banner, (they can't find an old carpet, like a law and order episode?) we want to give them our insurance certificate, so they can roll that up as well? kind of like inspector columbo finding my business card is the only thing in the ded man's pocket
LMAO! You have a good point, I hope you have a good attorney along with your insurance policy!

(I hope you know I'm totoally joking around to lighten the mood ;)

SameDay Signs

I stopped messing around a long time ago. I would straight up tell them hey you owe a bill you didn't ask for this ahead of time or we would have passed all together and if you don't pay im sending to collections period...then you tell them that you'll file a BBB complaint as well as google listing and so on...be a complete dick i know i would

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Doesn't make any sense and definitely don't sign anything. It's a banner. It's not structural so if it fails, so what? Exactly what are you liable for? What type of damages could it cause especially when your not installing it?
What type of damage could it cause? The wind rips it down and it scratches a/some cars with the grommets, or it pulls a lag bolt out and chips a windshield, flies across a street and causes someone to crash, hits some kids at a shopping center and knocks one down... and it goes on and on... this is America my friend. If it happens, you can be sued for it or taken to court to pay.
$48 duckies ain't worth the hassle.

MikePro

how much damage can a goose do? ...they said, before it brought down a 747.
a banner in the wind, can do a LOT of damage. especially when there's pedestrians/traffic nearby.

chaos theory dictates that if anything is possible, it will happen eventually....and you'll be liable.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
how much damage can a goose do? ...they said, before it brought down a 747.
a banner in the wind, can do a LOT of damage. especially when there's pedestrians/traffic nearby.

chaos theory dictates that if anything is possible, it will happen eventually....and you'll be liable.
How would he be liable by selling them a small banner? Did you not read he didn't install it?

CanuckSigns

How would he be liable by selling them a small banner? Did you not read he didn't install it?

You've obviously never been involved in a personal injury lawsuit. We are going through one now for a sign we didn't install that someone slipped on when it fell and got covered in snow. The prosecution lawyers will name every single person who had anything to do with the job, property owner, landlord, all building tenants, every contractor who may be involved etc. our lawsuit has 12 different companies named, including the porta-potty company that supplied the johnny's for the job site!

The litigation has been going on for 5 years now with no end in sight, my insurance company has had to hire a laywer to defend us, it's insane. even though the prosecution has said were are likley not responsible, they are refusing to let us out of the lawsuit.

MikePro

did you not read that I wasn't replying to the OP but rather the contintued discussion on "how much damage could a banner do?"

its already been covered that liability would be on the property owner > installer, but you could still get dragged into a lawsuit just because injury lawyers sue with a shotgun.

that being said, back to OP.... i still see no reason to provide another party with a copy of your insurance for the sake of collecting payment. It was not part of the original terms, and you did not install it, so your insurance policy would have nothing to do with their project or permitting process. Your client may as well just submit a copy of their own homeowner's insurance policy, as it would be equally unrelated.

Last edited:

Eforcer

Please tell me you laughed in their face. I wouldn't even entertain this whole request. If we are installing, hell yeah we should show coverage. But just providing the media is just odd for something that low.

JMO