• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dang quick way to remove vinyl letters!

Pat Whatley

Had to replace the dates on a banner that was vinyl lettered. Pulled off the old dates, stuck on the new ones, then realized that I'd forgotten to clean the adhesive. All three bottles of Rapid Remover have made their way into the shop truck...which isn't here at the moment. Looking at what I had available I had the brilliant idea to use acetone.

Holy bejeezus! 30 seconds after wiping the lettering with it the edges were curling up. Two minutes later the vinyl was rolling up. The vinyl just lifted off.

Of course it left every bit of the adhesive and something about the acetone turned it into a gummy disaster but HEY! The vinyl itself just fell off the banner.

ucmj22

I wonder how it works on 4 year old vinyl dried and cracked on the side of a van!? (The bane of my existence)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
guido.gif
I've been told that cheap, rot-gut tequila will do an excellent job. Seriously.

Billct2

reminds me of the time when I was a greenhorn and one of the other guys told me to wipe down some painted MDO with thinner to clean them off...oh you meant Paint Thinner not Laquer Thinner? oops

Mike F

guido.gif
I've been told that cheap, rot-gut tequila will do an excellent job. Seriously.

If we're listing home remedies, I've heard vinegar does the trick as well, and it also doesn't waste perfectly good booze. Perfectly good is a relative term, but yea, vinegar :thumb:.

MikePro

once did something the same when i had to reuse the aluminum from 20 - 18"x24" handicap signs with reflective on them. quick 10min soak in a pan full of paint thinner, and the vinyl turns to mush!