• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Das Haus

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Got this done today.

I designed it, made the post and installed it.

I subbed out the iron work and faces (my brother, Darlak Signs)

09ff622d0a207b2217ad6fc7be88ba3b.jpg

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I love the iron and that post.

This was a major up sell, their budget was about a quarter of what we ended up at. It took a few months last fall but they eventually saw my vision as the way to go. I was thinking a sign for a German Museum should look German made...

It was fun, but back to printing where the money is at!

Marlene

This was a major up sell, their budget was about a quarter of what we ended up at. It took a few months last fall but they eventually saw my vision as the way to go. I was thinking a sign for a German Museum should look German made...

It was fun, but back to printing where the money is at!

I love that you were able to do a nice post and iron work set up. People forget that the post and hardware really can make a sign extra special. You could have hung a very plain sign on this and it still would have been beautiful. Nice work!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Does that yard arm go through a hole made for it and supported by the upper bracket and small stay near the bottom ??

Is the sign made from PVC or some other substrate... and last, is the gold, gilded on.... or painted ??

ddarlak

Go Bills!
The interior of the post is one 4x6 treated post with two 2x6's on either side. The arm sits on top of the 4x6, the two 2x6's sandwich the arm. Filler 2x6's are on top of that. The cedar is 1" x 8" boards made into a box that fits over the treated lumber. the arm is three pieces of cedar glued together. The scroll work is 1.5" x3/8" thick forged steel. The sign is 1.5" redwood, carved, gold leaf'd. The design is a portrayal of the Prussian flag used at the time the German settlers left and built small communities in Western New York. I live in this one.

Spartan

So sorry to say this, the sign is looking really nice, but the text doesn't make much sense in german?

Text says something like "The house, AHouse and The Stable"
What has been meant to say?

Upper and lower case isn't correct. First letter upper case is right, but no more upper case (H) within one word as done in "EinHaus" (btw this word doesn't exist in german), and the D in "Der Stall" would only be written upper case if it'd be the beginning of a sentence. Here it should be written lower case. Names (of persons and objects, like Haus or Stall) always upper case

If you wanted to say "The house. A house and the stable" it would be: "Das Haus. Ein Haus und der Stall". But doesn't make too much sense, either. Maybe somehow if "Das Haus" is the Name of the museum and the following is a listing of what can be found there. But then "Das Haus. Ein Haus mit Stall" would be more logical.

And just to mention that: The eagle and white makes it look like "Nazi-time"? Aimed for that? Still looking very american-style though. German signs haven't been so complex and beautiful ;)

If anyone needs help with german spelling i'd be happy to help you, just send me an email or PN here. No fear, my german is perfect in contrast to my written english ;)

And if someone wants to see how old german signs were looking like, here is a website that collects and deals with such things:
http://www.schilderjagd.de/author/bikedoc/
http://www.schilderjagd.de/category/veranstaltungen/

I hope you don't get me wrong now. I don't want to run anyone down, just offering my help if you want.

Best regards from rainy Stuttgart,

Marc

ams

Looks great, only thing is the white takes away from it a little, if it were black and then the graphic just on the black background, that would have popped. But nonetheless, looks good.

Gene@mpls

Looks like an Imperial eagle to me, I'm reading a book about Kaiser Wilhelm II. Nazi eagles were much more stylized.

Spartan

Looks like an Imperial eagle to me, I'm reading a book about Kaiser Wilhelm II. Nazi eagles were much more stylized.

Yes, right, it is a "Reichsadler". To be exact, a Reichsadler from around 1900.
But the use of any type of the Reichsadler is frowned upon in germany and somehow referred to Nazi-time. We are very self-chastening with such things since WW2, no matter on which "Deutsches Reich" you refer to.
The only eagle we are using today is the "Bundesadler". And just to complete our low patriotism, most people wouldn't think good of you if you would fly a flag with the "Bundesadler" in your garden here in germany...^^

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Text says something like "The house, AHouse and The Stable"
What has been meant to say?

well, that's kinda what it's supposed to say. For a long time it was just a restored 1847 original house and it was called Das Haus. a few years ago they purchased a barn/shed that was from the time period and took it apart and rebuilt it next to the house. so now it is, Das Haus - a house and barn.

This museum is run by ancestors of the original settlers.This is how they wanted it capitalized and spelled. They are German Americans, not Germans, so I guess it's been americanized.

As to the white, black and eagle, they were all derived from the Prussian flag from the time period of when these Germans left and built homesteads in Western New York. The flag was black with a white stripe in the middle just like the sign. They wanted to incorporate the flag into the sign and I thought this was the best solution.

Spartan

Just to get that clear: It is great and really beautiful and i wish i could do such signs ;-)
And if they wanted it that way, it's perfect.
I just wanted to mention that possibility for misconception. But now, after reading all my postings here, i REALLY hope i haven't been misunderstood^^ It's not that easy to say what i want to say in another language...
Didn't mean to sound smart-alec or critical.

TimToad

Very nicely done. The post and hardware as well as the finish work on all of it is top notch. I might have not had the white panel behind the eagle stretch across the entire width, but it all looks awesome and captures the look and feel it sounds like you were going for.

We love collaborating with others on special projects to bring the best talents together the way you have.

studio 440

well, that's kinda what it's supposed to say. For a long time it was just a restored 1847 original house and it was called Das Haus. a few years ago they purchased a barn/shed that was from the time period and took it apart and rebuilt it next to the house. so now it is, Das Haus - a house and barn.

This museum is run by ancestors of the original settlers.This is how they wanted it capitalized and spelled. They are German Americans, not Germans, so I guess it's been americanized.

As to the white, black and eagle, they were all derived from the Prussian flag from the time period of when these Germans left and built homesteads in Western New York. The flag was black with a white stripe in the middle just like the sign. They wanted to incorporate the flag into the sign and I thought this was the best solution.
looks great beautiful work