• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Delivering a cabinet to another state... Do I need DOT numbers?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thought came to my mind. If I'm delivering a sign across state lines do I need DOT numbers?

Normally I drive a white HD pickup service body but I'm thinking with a 6'x22' lighted cabinet on a trailer it might grab some attention going past a weigh station. Do I need DOT stuff to do that??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most likely not. You need to know the combined weight of your pickup loaded along with the trailer and it's capacity. I don't think it depends on how much you're actually transporting on this trip, but what are your gross weights. If it's over 10,000lbs, then you'll most likely need to get one.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well add on your trailer and it's full capacity and I guess you'll need to apply for a number. Hope you don't hafta do this soon, as it might take some time to get all the legalities outta the way. It might be better to hire someone to take it, or come pick it up and be prepared for the next time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yo...... A simple google did this on the first try.

If the combined total GVWR is 10,001 pounds or greater, it falls within the FMCSA's definition of a CMV. Even a pickup truck pulling a trailer requires a US DOT number if it's over the minimum combined weight limit. ... They generally operate under one Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN).​

2B

I saw that and 9500 is under 10,000. I guess GVW doesn't include trailer. I duno, I don't think that applies to me but I thought I'd ask to make sure.

It also lists;
  • GVW: Gross Vehicle Weight—
  • GVWR: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating—
  • GCWR: Gross Combination Weight Rating—
  • GCW: Gross Combination Weight --
So technically you need a DOT,
However, as JBurton says, it is easy to go through a station with the right packing

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Need it hung in central AR? Hopefully it's not Hot Springs...

Lol, I snuck into Hot Springs a few months ago and thew one up... Went months without seeing rain in Dallas and as soon as I crossed over on I-30 it was non-stop rain the whole day. No this is outside of Memphis

Old Timer

I believe the requirement has been put back to 26,000 lbs combined weight for usdot. refer to sections 391, 392, and 393 fmcsa

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You better hope you don't have to get a DOT - They make you drug test the driver.......

rjssigns

I'm under the 26,001 weight limit, but over 10,001 with my racing operation. I'm required to have a DOT number and abide by HOS guidelines. Also required to pass a DOT physical every two years, carry a FedMed card, have current inspections on truck and trailer, and keep log books. Up to date fire extinguisher inspections too.

Why? Because I go out of state for car shows/races. Example: I go to Michigan for a show. I win first place. According to law my vehicle may get a bump in value from that activity/trophy. Even though no money changed hands it is enough reason to say I'm engaged in interstate commerce.:confused: Same applies if I win money at a race.

What it comes down to: When you cross state lines in a potentially money making activity you are bound by the rules of Interstate Commerce. Period, end of discussion.

How do I know this? Myself and a friend spent hours with our states lead Motor Carrier enforcement officer. Really nice guy and patient answering our questions.

If you carry a DOT number on your vehicle DO NOT under any circumstances do your own brake work. EVER!!! It is one of the first things they check in the event of a crash. If something is out of whack and you worked on them your suffering will be legendary.

How picky are they? My truck had two failures its first inspection. One was a tiny nick in the left wiper blade. The other was a small chip on one of the fan blades. Got both fixed then showed receipts, got inspected again and got my sticker.

Take away from all this? Do not think you're smarter than the people who will be writing you tickets and taking you to court.

Old joke:
Know how to become a millionaire racer?

Start with two million then go racing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's only 2 sides to a story. One's right and the other is wrong.

It's kinda like can you instal an electric sign without a UL stamp or being a licensed electrician ?? Sure you can, but not legally. Knowing how to do something and being allowed to do it are two very different things. You can do it, but if you get caught, just once, it could be the end of your new venture. Government is very strict about a lotta things, but when you are caught and should've been doing it one way and you plead ignorance or whatever, they don't care. Rent a truck form U-haul. They have tricks just for that. Rent one way and take a train home.

joshGN

if you're hauling the sign with a Semi truck, then ya...but a regular pick up, no...

I too have a racing operation, I have a 38ft Pusher and a 32ft Enclosed trailer, total length is 76ft...Whats a weight station? LOL...Ive never been to one....

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well I'm glad I asked... Might just have someone do it.

Around here, pickup trucks are the choice for Oil field Hot Shot drivers and they have to play by the rules. I'm sure DOT keeps a special eye out for those white F350s and 3500s.

rjssigns

if you're hauling the sign with a Semi truck, then ya...but a regular pick up, no...

I too have a racing operation, I have a 38ft Pusher and a 32ft Enclosed trailer, total length is 76ft...Whats a weight station? LOL...Ive never been to one....

Call it whatever you want but weight is weight when they start asking questions. Saying its just a pickup won't help.

Matter of fact there are several states cracking down on the diesel dually's yanking those monster toy haulers around. If you live in one of those states and run 26001lbs combined you WILL have a CDL.

As far as towing with a motor coach that's a gray area right now. DOT doesn't care about what you're doing or where you're going. Friends of mine ditched their pickups or toters and got huge diesel pusher coaches. Of course one of them had to buck the trend. Full custom class 8 toter with matching stacker. Had to get the stacker so he could take his Ferrari too.:eek:

d fleming

I owned my bucket in my own name and it was single axle under 26,000 gvw so I did not have to have a cdl or dot. I put dot on it just to avoid proving it on the side of the road. I did it over the phone in about an hour. As I was not going out of state it did not require inspection. It cost nothing to get a dot (at least in my situation) and I had numbers on truck same day. Going out of state they will send by a trooper to inspect it (in Florida). On another note it always amused me that boat numbers have to be 3.5 inches tall, contrasting single color on hull with no serifs and 1/2" stroke or better but dot regs state visible from 50 feet. Who determines what that is? I have seen dots that could not be read from 10 feet, lol.
I lettered five new f350 pickups and two f350 service body trucks yesterday for land clearing company, all had dots.