• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design software suggestion

crny1

Hello,
We have just purchased our first wide format printer and are now buying the rest of what all is needed while we are waiting for the machine to be delivered. My question is what would everyone suggest for design software? Whats the best in your opinion and is the easiest to use and learn? I am sure most of this is opinionated and most everyone has a preference since they have used whatever from the start but I would like to see what the census is. I don't want to purchase all of them to see what I like and then have a few programs that I hardly ever use. Opinions?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Loaded question... I'll assume you are using Windows...

What kind of work will you be doing, just signs? Or print and web?

phototec

Loaded Question ---- What pickup truck is best?, Well that is going to depend on if you ask a Ford owner or a Chevy owner, get it?

Anyway, it depends on a lot of IMPORTANT issues, like Rick said, what kind of work will you be doing, what all experience do you have designing graphics?

What printer did you purchase and or what RIP software is going to drive the printer?

I have a Roland and it came with VersaWorks, and because I have been using Adobe graphics software for a LOOOOOOONG time, I chose to do all my design work with Illustrator and Photoshop, and just use Versaworks to send my designs to the printer.

Some folks never worked as a designer, so they might like applications like SignLab to their design work, like I said above, it going to depend on who you ask, but the bottom line will be WHAT your background is and how savvy you are in doing design work.

neato

You're going to get a lot of opinions on this one, so I might as well add mine.

I've always used and been very happy with CorelDraw. It's a very robust program that will do everything you could ever want, but at the same time, I feel it's a little easier to grasp for beginners.

I would suggest getting version X6 or X7. The color output issues with some of the older versions have been addressed with these versions.

But as Rick said, this might not cover all your needs. If you plan to work with a lot of bitmap images, you might also want Photoshop. I've never needed it personally, in fact, I barely know how to open the program.

rjssigns

Like it or not Adobe Illustrator?Photoshop are de facto standards. Adobe programs are used in high schools, tech schools and colleges everywhere. Which leads me to my next point. Since it is the accepted standard it is extremely easy to get training, which you will need.

However I am not thrilled in the least with their subscription model. So much so that I have been shopping alternatives. When I can no longer use CS5/6 I will most likely go back to Corel where I started.

No mater what you get make sure to get training. Thinking you can buy equipment and software and start making money overnight is not going to happen.

I suggest you do some reading through the various forums here regarding equipment, design programs, RIPS, laminators and all the related issues that pop up. That alone will be an education.

phototec

You're going to get a lot of opinions on this one, so I might as well add mine.

I've always used and been very happy with CorelDraw. It's a very robust program that will do everything you could ever want, but at the same time, I feel it's a little easier to grasp for beginners.

I would suggest getting version X6 or X7. The color output issues with some of the older versions have been addressed with these versions.

But as Rick said, this might not cover all your needs. If you plan to work with a lot of bitmap images, you might also want Photoshop. I've never needed it personally, in fact, I barely know how to open the program.

Yes, and neato does some fantastic work with Corel, as well as Joe Diaz, they are masters of Corel.:smile:

neato

Yes, and neato does some fantastic work with Corel, as well as Joe Diaz, they are masters of Corel.:smile:

No....Joe is the Corel master, I'm not in the same league. Everytime that guys posts something I feel like finding another job :D

nikdoobs

This should be entertaining. I use Photoshop & Illustrator and love them. I also use flexi-sign sometimes. The majority of the work I do is on Illustrator though (shop drawings/customer proofs). I actually really like the cloud subscription. Most people seem to hate it. You get updates & bug fixes quite often and they are easy to download & install.

J Hill Designs

download illustrator CS2 (the whole CS2 suite, as well, if you want) for free from adobe.com - just register, go to downloads, legacy section

see if you like it.

rjssigns

download illustrator CS2 (the whole CS2 suite, as well, if you want) for free from adobe.com - just register, go to downloads, legacy section

see if you like it.

This^^^^

Completely forgot about the freebie.

My wife rocks CS2. She proves it isn't all about the latest software.

phototec

This^^^^

Completely forgot about the freebie.

My wife rocks CS2. She proves it isn't all about the latest software.

:goodpost:

Yep, I was going to say something about that also, anyone can purchase software, however only a few can take that software and hit the ball out of the park....Like JD!

There is NO automatic button like you see on the Staples commercials, you have to pay the dues to learn the software and it helps if you have some artistic talent and graphics training....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What did the salesman tell you where you bought your machine ?? That would be the best starting place. While you're at it, you're gonna hafta figure out what RIP program you'll need, as it should work together with whatever design software you get. After that, you might want to give some consideration as to using a laminator, because certain areas of this industry should be laminated before going out the door.

Sounds as if you are not only new to this stuff, but don't know anything about it ?? Out of curiosity, does your printer need to be vented or is it situated in a huge room with windows and fans ?? You'll also need media, so start getting that lined up by which direction your audience is gonna take you.

CanuckSigns

we use CorelDraw here, as it is the industry standard in the engraving industry, when we started in the sign part of the business, Corel is more than able to handle anything we throw at it, plus it's fairly easy to train new production employees how to do basic things on it.

I would also download Adobe CS2 for fre to play around with s ell, since Adobe is the industry standard for most of the design industry, there are tons of tutorials online.

reQ

Also CorelDraw user here. But doing some stuff in photoshop sometimes, but not that often.

shoresigns

Illustrator is the most widely used vector software among professional designers, and it's very powerful. CorelDraw is a popular alternative that many great designers use. It's known to have slightly less of a learning curve and it seems to be a bit more popular for illustrations. If you're serious about graphic design, start with one of those.

If you're not doing in-house design and you just need to be able to open files you get from customers, make small edits, convert formats etc. then Illustrator is probably your best bet.

Adobe CC

Most "professionals" use Adobe CC

If you expect to do "output bureau" work = working on files from professional designers - go with Adobe CC - that way you will be able to open everything. I would get the $50/month package...Acrobat Professional is your friend - Photoshop is great - Illustrator is the standard for vector work.

If you expect to get files from companies that use professional designers - same as above. Otherwise you will run into problems chasing files that need to be down-saved. Adobe is allowing less of that as time goes on.

If you are designing for yourself - choose what you have the best support with. Many use Corel - I have not used it in years.

If you expect to do typical sign shop vinyl cutting - you'll need a sign package. I have used many - and I find Gerber has the best - but that is not saying much compared to Corel and Illustrator. The issue is - cutting easily is hard from the non-sign packages without some plugin.

In all the sign shops I worked in - it usually is more profitable to work with customers who provide professional files. YMMV

d fleming

I have Illy, Photoshop and Corel as well as Signlab. Have used Flexi, not a fan. I by far use Signlab the most. Been designing since before desktop computers existed.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Some only use MS Paint...
[video=youtube;MGOLqU8AZpo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGOLqU8AZpo[/video]

crny1

Ok. I knew this would stir up a lot.

answering questions in no particular order........................and I will probably forget a few but here are some answers

The Machine is a Roland Soljet pro III 54" And yes I am aware that solvent inks need ventilation.
Purchased a laminator from the same place at the same time as the machine. I am very aware of the need to laminate on certain things.
The ripp software will be versaworks
The place I purcahased the machine stated just like a lot of you people did that software is a matter of preference and they didnt want to try and sway me toward anything in particular.
No design background and we are fully aware this comes with a HUGE learning curve. Will be getting training on whatever we decide.
We will be designing most everything we do. We are Mainly targeting a Niche market.
Most everything will be wraps like on trailers. A very few vehicles and some sign work. - 90% of the work will be for outdoors

What did I miss?