• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design software suggestion

crny1

Oh and Never for even 1 second did we ever think we could take delivery of the machine and start making money the next. That only happens to lucky people! lol

Sidney

Multiple Software for Multiple Outputs

Hello.

Adobe Photoshop Photoshop for Digital and Color out put consistency. Corel Draw for vector and sign designs (more user friendly than Illustrator and doesn't give Memory Errors).
Then we have Corel Painter for the Artistic Approach....chalk art, digital paintings etc.

Just my input after 24.5 years in the Marketing & Design industry.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ok. I knew this would stir up a lot.

answering questions in no particular order........................and I will probably forget a few but here are some answers

The Machine is a Roland Soljet pro III 54" And yes I am aware that solvent inks need ventilation.
Purchased a laminator from the same place at the same time as the machine. I am very aware of the need to laminate on certain things.
The ripp software will be versaworks
The place I purcahased the machine stated just like a lot of you people did that software is a matter of preference and they didnt want to try and sway me toward anything in particular.
No design background and we are fully aware this comes with a HUGE learning curve. Will be getting training on whatever we decide.
We will be designing most everything we do. We are Mainly targeting a Niche market.
Most everything will be wraps like on trailers. A very few vehicles and some sign work. - 90% of the work will be for outdoors

What did I miss?

No, no problem at all, telling us the whole story, is there ?? Unless stirring the pot was your intention , many of my questions were based upon your neglect of giving us enough information. See, so many people want answers and by not giving a full story, your answers sometimes could be wrong. Helping us to help you is just a natural process. It's just like getting a job and requesting a deposit. It helps you finance their job, instead of the burden being on you, alone.

However, you seem like you're annoyed by this, so suffice it to say......... good luck. I won't bother you, unless something good comes along. :peace!:

crny1

No, no problem at all, telling us the whole story, is there ?? Unless stirring the pot was your intention , many of my questions were based upon your neglect of giving us enough information. See, so many people want answers and by not giving a full story, your answers sometimes could be wrong. Helping us to help you is just a natural process. It's just like getting a job and requesting a deposit. It helps you finance their job, instead of the burden being on you, alone.

However, you seem like you're annoyed by this, so suffice it to say......... good luck. I won't bother you, unless something good comes along. :peace!:

My wife always tells me not to judge peoples emotion from a text message, email or something read on the internet because you cant exactly tell what emotions are in the writing.

It did not annoy me to answer the questions. I apologize if it came of that way but that was not the intention. Also I was not purposely stirring the pot. After making the post I read through many many posts on here and other forums and realized that its a very opinionated subject and it may spark some controversy.
There was no reasoning behind leaving information out of the first post besides I guess I didn't think it was pertinent. Remember I did say I was new to all this. I wrote the post to gain the knowledge of what everyone else thinks is the best software to use and the easiest. I was unaware of the amounts of options. I was trying to save myself a few dollars since software is pretty pricey. Again, I am sorry if it came off wrong to you Gino and anyone else.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My wife always tells me not to judge peoples emotion from a text message, email or something read on the internet because you cant exactly tell what emotions are in the writing.

It did not annoy me to answer the questions. I apologize if it came of that way but that was not the intention. Also I was not purposely stirring the pot. After making the post I read through many many posts on here and other forums and realized that its a very opinionated subject and it may spark some controversy.
There was no reasoning behind leaving information out of the first post besides I guess I didn't think it was pertinent. Remember I did say I was new to all this. I wrote the post to gain the knowledge of what everyone else thinks is the best software to use and the easiest. I was unaware of the amounts of options. I was trying to save myself a few dollars since software is pretty pricey. Again, I am sorry if it came off wrong to you Gino and anyone else.

No apologies necessary. We are all grown ups and should be able to take critical criticism, constructive criticism and my kinda direct to the point comments. Your attempt is well taken, but again, not necessary. As many pointed out as being a loaded question..... or totally opinionated, mine was more or less looking for answers myself in order to further help you or future people looking at this thread 2 days, 2 months or even 2 years from now.

You'll come to find that many here will try to help with whatever little information one posts up. However, it only will benefit you or whomever is looking for answers to put down as much pertinent information as possible to help their own cause.

My answers/posts may burn you up in the future, but I can say with all my might, they are not intentionally geared to hurt you..... just make you think or realize what's coming across out here on the receiving end.

Again.... good luck. :peace!:

Andriy

Illustrator. Photoshop is used mainly for color conversion in this particular industry (RGB to CMYK) for closer color matching as the RIPs tend to read those differently.
I have Corel as well and it just seems like another Illustrator with a different layout and tools in different spots.
Much easier to find tutorials for Illustrator to get you started as they are practically everywhere for free.
Also since you are new to the software, do not try to design anything in Photoshop as it will be easier to grasp in the beginning (in most cases) unless you are planning to trace it later as you will run into a lot of resolution issues.:smile:

Mosh

I just bought a hammer and plan to build a house. I have NO experience in building, I know there will be a huge learning curve, but I am sure I can get some training along the way. Are there any other tools I might need...LOL

crny1

Mosh,
You must of been one of those gifted people that just woke up and could design. You obviously had to learn in the beginning like everyone else. Thanks for the intelligent input.
And for the record I did not really purposely intend to put the cart before the horse. I have been researching equipment for quite some time and happen to come across a deal that was too good to refuse so I purchased it. The original plan was to get the software and work with it to learn and then buy the equipment. Not everything in life happens how we want it too and sometimes we have to adjust...........

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Gino

attachment.php

Please make your 25,000th post(if it's today) a worthwhile one...

Attachments

• 69416941.JPG
    69416941.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 122

Mosh

I have always been talented at art.... I learned the trade working at a shop for five years, before starting my own. You're right it is "just a sticker" anyone can do it, it doesn't take any talent, I see crap trailer wraps all the time...and have bought lots of used printers and equipment from people that thought it was going to be so easy...

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Mosh,
You must of been one of those gifted people that just woke up and could design. You obviously had to learn in the beginning like everyone else. Thanks for the intelligent input.
And for the record I did not really purposely intend to put the cart before the horse. I have been researching equipment for quite some time and happen to come across a deal that was too good to refuse so I purchased it. The original plan was to get the software and work with it to learn and then buy the equipment. Not everything in life happens how we want it too and sometimes we have to adjust...........
Not all of us can wake up a gifted soybean farmer, like Mosh.

Z SIGNS

Does not matter what program you are using.
They all do the same thing.
It's not the program that makes creative signs or gives you an edge over the next guy with a printer and plotter.
It's the man behind the mouse.
Hd shows a good example with the Mona Lisa video.
Try em all till you find one you are comfy with.
Remember the computer is just a tool you use to render your brilliance.
If you can't draw or visualize the completed sign it does not matter what program you got
Hope this helps
Good luck on you quest for software.

Mosh

To answer the question, I have been using CorelDraw since 1991-1992. Before that a Gerber Sprint 3 and an exacto.

That was kinda my point, it isn't the software, it is the designer. It really isn't something you can "learn", you either can do it or not. There are a lot of people that shouldn't be doing it....but good luck to ya.

rjssigns

Most "professionals" use Adobe CC

"Professionals":ROFLMAO:

If you expect to do "output bureau" work = working on files from professional designers - go with Adobe CC - that way you will be able to open everything. I would get the $50/month package...Acrobat Professional is your friend - Photoshop is great - Illustrator is the standard for vector work.

If you expect to do "output bureau" work...you need Adobe CC. Really?!

If you expect to get files from companies that use professional designers - same as above. Otherwise you will run into problems chasing files that need to be down-saved. Adobe is allowing less of that as time goes on.

If you expect to get files...that use professional designers.... Apparently you work with that rare designer that can actually package files correctly for output, or not send RGB files for offset work.

If you are designing for yourself - choose what you have the best support with. Many use Corel - I have not used it in years.

If you expect to do typical sign shop vinyl cutting - you'll need a sign package. I have used many - and I find Gerber has the best - but that is not saying much compared to Corel and Illustrator. The issue is - cutting easily is hard from the non-sign packages without some plugin.

In all the sign shops I worked in - it usually is more profitable to work with customers who provide professional files. YMMV

Clients almost never supply professional files. I know as most of our work is "output bureau" production. (see above) Seems to me when one calls themselves a designer it automatically absolves them from having to adhere to basic design principles or correctly packaging files for output.
They also have no concept of raster resolution for a given size nor what a vector file is. Scraping images off the internet and pasting them into a layout is also apparently acceptable. Some also think an Excel file supplying all the "pieces" for us to assemble is the best thing since sliced bread.

Offset work? Well I'll just supply you an RGB file that'll work right? You need a PDF? I'll click save as PDF in Word. Outline fonts? What's that? Package the file? Umm...how do I do that?

My rant for the day is done. I'll step down now.

crny1

My point of this thread was to find out if there was a better or easier version to learn. Did not know if one or the other offered better options that only a experienced designer would know like all of you. That's why I asked. I know the software wont make you a better sign or graphic. I fully understand that. My first impression was to use illustrator and flexi. Didn't want to later have someone say it was a bad choice because of such and such.
For those of you that answered with a legit answer I sincerely thank you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My point of this thread was to find out if there was a better or easier version to learn. Did not know if one or the other offered better options that only a experienced designer would know like all of you. That's why I asked. I know the software wont make you a better sign or graphic. I fully understand that. My first impression was to use illustrator and flexi. Didn't want to later have someone say it was a bad choice because of such and such.

That is probably your best bet. Two very good programs, but get the whole suite CS6 or the cloud version. That's a decision only you can make. Personal preference based on experience with business, not the industry.

Andriy

If your first impression was Illustrator then you can't go wrong.
You will however need the whole suite as Gino said, or at least a portion (Photoshop, InDesign) as sometimes client can supply an image that is in RGB and even though RIPs do interpret them, I had some cases where it read/printed the colors WAY off compared to when I switched to CMYK.

crny1

Adobe website sucks in my opinion. I cant see anything regarding "CS6 suite". Everything I see is choose your programs. Do they have a complete package for the suite and I am missing it? Cause there are a few there that I know I dont think I need. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place on the site.

Andriy

Adobe website sucks in my opinion. I cant see anything regarding "CS6 suite". Everything I see is choose your programs. Do they have a complete package for the suite and I am missing it? Cause there are a few there that I know I dont think I need. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place on the site.

CS6 is the last version of the suite that was available before CC started.
CC (stands for Creative Cloud) is basically a constantly self-updating version of the software that you pay for yearly but you get every software that comes with it from Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign to After Effects.
I believe you can download the CS2 suite for free if you look around their website, http://www.adobe.com/downloads/other-downloads.html is the one I found with a quick search but I havent logged in to confirm.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We bought our version from Casey at Signbursts. He's a Merchant Member here and won't steer you wrong. :thumb: tell him s101 sent ya.