• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Desktop Printer -What do you use?

R08

I've been using a Canon ip3000 for the last couple years. A real workhorse. I had a bulk system on it. But it's finally ready to put out to pasture.

My question is: what desktop printer are you using and why?
How many are using the multi-function types?

I've been thinking of perhaps something like a Canon Pixma Pro9000 which can print up to 13"x19'". I think it might be nice to present large proofs like that to customers.

FatCat

A lot will depend on what you use your desktop printer for, what size you need it to print and how much you use it. MF devices are great if you have the need to make copies or scan/fax things - I have a scanner, and both B&W and color copiers at my shop so don't need one.

In my case, I use a Samsung color laser printer which prints my invoices, short term quickie type flyers/handouts and misc. stuff. I personally prefer laser over inkjet for a "desktop" printer.

*Oh, and I print any large proofs needed on my Mutoh using Sihl poster paper.

R08

I personally prefer laser over inkjet for a "desktop" printer.

*Oh, and I print any large proofs needed on my Mutoh using Sihl poster paper.

Thanks Fatcat.

Why do you like the laser? Speed? Quality? costs?
I tend to use mine a lot. Proofs, invoices , work orders etc..

I've thought about printing proofs on the mutoh but that seems like a hassle to me (my design station is in a different room and uses a separate computer)

smdgrfx

I was using a black only Brother desktop laser until about a month ago for invoicing. I have been using HP MF printers for my proofs for the last 4 years and have had good results. I even used it to make 500 copies of a 18 page brochure once. I have the HP OfficeJet Pro 7580 and the HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 premier. The 8500 has better ink (smudge resistant) and they both have XL ink tanks and user replaceable heads. No problems with either one. I used to have separate machines, but with limited desk space I went with the all-in-ones and have no regrets. The laser actually cost me more to use, so when the toner went out the last time, I gave it away. In the future, I have my eye on Konica Minolta products. Their multi-function machine, the magicolor 4695MF is really nice. Or the pre-press printer MagicColor 7450 II grafx. They also have the 8650DN that has options like saddle stitch staples and folding for just a little more...

FatCat

I prefer laser because of speed and overall lower costs and maintenance to operate long term. Also, you don't have to worry about liquids (rain, etc.) causing the ink to smear like the majority of water-based inkjets.

smdgrfx

That's the kind of thing I look for. I see there is a bulk ink system available for those machines as well.

I also see that CNET gives the 8500 their Editors Choice rating although the user's ratings are not so kind.

I just read those reviews of people complaining about setup. They must have junk for computers. I just put in a new design station. Took about 5-10 minutes to install software and get it linked up. I get lots of prints out of my cartridges. After having my 8500 premier for almost a year, I give it 5 stars. And the ink is smudge resistant. It holds up pretty good. I print most stuff on draft mode and proofs on everyday mode using nice bright white inkjet paper. I've never had complaints.

Vinylman

I am partial to the Epson line of DTP'ers.
I have 3 CX4800 units.

And before anyone jumps on Epson printers being junk, Epson is the manufacture of many of the printheads used in large format printers around the world.

As for reliability, My last 2 Epsons where purchased USED off eBay for under $20.00 each. {the sellers thought they where not able to print due to clogged heads} I happen to have a few tricks up my sleeve to correct that situation, and so I bought these for "PARTS".

After about 30 minuets of work both printers where printing like new, for a total cost of under $65.00 including shipping.

As for ink costs, The CX4800 and many other Epsons' use individual ink carts for each color.

Low on Yellow? just swap in a yellow cart, and print on.

I buy my cartridges in bulk quantities of 10@ color= Total of 40 carts, and with shipping my last order was just $60.47.

It don't get no better than that.

BTW the print quality on Semi Gloss presentation paper will knock your socks off.

R08

I just read those reviews of people complaining about setup. They must have junk for computers. I just put in a new design station. Took about 5-10 minutes to install software and get it linked up. I get lots of prints out of my cartridges. After having my 8500 premier for almost a year, I give it 5 stars. And the ink is smudge resistant. It holds up pretty good. I print most stuff on draft mode and proofs on everyday mode using nice bright white inkjet paper. I've never had complaints.

Right on... I got one on ebay. Should be here soon. Gonna get the bulk ink for it too. Saves a bundle over the life of the printer.

Probaby will be cheaper even than your laser fatcat. :toasting:
Although I'm sure lasers are a higher quality print.

tomence

I have an Epson 1400 it is 13"x19" printer and it prints realistic prints on photo paper and i love it, but ink cost a lot. It has 6 cartridges x $20 each. Also i have found nice bulk ink setup system but dont want to try it yet. I am happy for what i do with it so will stick with original ink.

cgsigns_jamie

I like laser's myself... speed and quality are great.

I have a HP Color LaserJet 3500 in my office and use it for quick prints and proofs.
Great little printer. This is our 3rd HP color laser printer. Excellent color and good speed.

The real workhorse is our Xerox WorkCentre 7328. It's way overkill for us but I like it a lot.
It's a multi function unit. Print/Scan/Fax/Copy/Email. It's also relatively quick, 26ppm for color and 28ppm for greyscale.
My favorite features are the ability to print double sided and the ability to print on 11" x 17" paper.

BALLPARK

I purchased a DELL c1320 color laser for about $300.00. It is a color laser printer and does a great job. I even use the cheaper off-brand inks with it and have not had any issues. Must admit at first I was worried about the inks. I only use brand inks on large format printers b/c of horror stories from others. But the laser printer from Dell was a safe and cost saving move.

I can get the toner for each color for about $15-$18 each. I get about 1000 full page / full color prints out of each. It claims to get 2500+ but that is not accurate, like most claims. They are based on very little ink coverage.

I like the laser prints much better than inkjets for many reasons, tooooo many to list..lol.

HP makes some great laser printers in the $300-$500 range as well.