• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dibond to Stucco with liquid nails?

Si Allen

Further proof that the sign business is going down the crapper ... due to the noobs joining the ranks!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Fitch

"Fact is we gave the client what they wanted, signs up with no metal fastener's. The signs are holding, client happy and we received payment. I'll monitor the jobsite checking the status of these signs and I WILL continue to offer this method to clients with similar projects. Large signs, yes, will absolutely go with metal fastener's. "

Sorry - this is a foolish approach.

Question- did you sand the area that the LN 203 was applied to - to give a key?

Fact - Monitor all you like - chances are the sign will fall down while you are NOT "monitoring".

What should have been done was to screw / glue battens to the stucco using both silicone and one part fast cure polyurethane. Fold the top of the sign at 90 degrees, and screw the top section to the end of the battens. "Coat" the batten tops with silicone to weatherproof, although the folded top will prevent a majority of exposure. A scatter approach of polyurethane glue and silicone to battens and the rear of the sign face will ensure two separate fixing mechanisms. Both will flex with the Dibond. High Bond double sided tape can be used to keep in place while drying.

Problem solved - no visible fixings and the sign has "safety" mechanical fixings both horizontal in battens to stucco and vertical - folded sign top to the batten ends.

"I WILL continue to offer this method to clients with similar projects"

Even if you do get away with it this time - I would seriously reconsider this approach.

Liquid Nails is a product that has amazed me that is still on the market after so many "let go's" I have seen over the years.

Cheers - G

Techman

I WILL continue to offer this method to clients with similar projects"

Our industry is evolving with many new and exciting "toys". Accept that there are now new techniques and products at our disposal. we don't have to stick with the same ole way of doing things. This thinking will get you left behind! And I believe there are more "know it alls" in this industry than there are people who don't know what they are doing.

he is a friggin idiot.

It's persons like you that are making hard working real technicians look like morons. Go back to your burger king job and make those biscuits.
Better yet, go back to the junk yard job. You are better qualified for that.

Geeses. I can't take it any more.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What are you two talking about ??

Okay, now I see why.......... :ROFLMAO:

Guess I was told. :doh:
T-Square….. you do it anyway you wish to do it. You do realize that any product on the market is going to give great results for the first few hours, days, maybe even months. On those nine signs, I’d like to know what‘s up with them in a year or two. Any movement, letting go or falling and hurting something or someone ??

I checked out the site and found your LN-203 and it doesn’t say anything about it being for the type application you’re talking about. Had I considered this a reasonable application glue, I would’ve seen it advertised as a glue for flush mount applications.

It’s actually advertised as a glue to mend metal broken parts such as on pot handles, lawn mower breaks and where other home do it yourselfer applications are needed. No where does it say it is for a flush mount of any weight with shear whatsoever for above peoples’ heads. By the way.... how did you keep the pressure on those nine signs for the six hours it calls for ?? :Oops: Did you break another rule ??

You just keep looking for unorthodox means in your newly found toy land and let us old farts just keep on doing it the right way.

You don’t need to talk slowly or any louder… we can basically smell bullchit a mile away. Don’t worry about us being left behind, I’d be more afraid of one of your signs falling on someone’s head and causing you some unnecessary pain had you listened a little better.

So-o-o-o-o Sunshine, again….. don’t worry about me. In almost 40 years doing this stuff….. I’ve never had anyone hurt by anything we installed, no property damage and no employees hurt other than one guy back in the 80’s that pulled a muscle in his elbow when pulling a face out of an electric sign. He was out of work for ah-h-h-h….. three hours to go to the doctor.

Nope, I won’t lose any sleep over ANY of my installations…. I hope you can still say the same thing, knowing what you really did and pulled off. I don’t wish any harm to anyone for your installations, but a word of caution…. make sure your products are meant for how and where you are using them…. cause if anything goes wrong…. your insurance will drop you like a hot potato when they find out you didn’t use trade products and only used DIY products in place of professional products.

andy

Sorry for the delay. Been extremely busy with new projects!

We installed 9 11x17 signs using double stick tape and liquid nails LN-203. (Gino, perhaps you need to learn to use google a little better. There's a whole section on lquid nails adhereing to masonry and metal). The larger 65" sign we installed the base then adhered the dibond sign to base using the LN-203. I've been back twice and trust me, these signs aren't going anywhere.

If you go back you will see I did say thank you in advance for responses. As for the formulation to the question, I'll be sure to include all info I have for our older crowd.

Our industry is evolving with many new and exciting "toys". Accept that there are now new techniques and products at our disposal. we don't have to stick with the same ole way of doing things. This thinking will get you left behind! And I believe there are more "know it alls" in this industry than there are people who don't know what they are doing.

Sorry you that pesky pet peeve of yours. But honestly, that's your problem. As I mentioned before, if you don't like the post, don't answer it, move on. You live in America, you have that right :)

And Gino, one thought for you. Before you decide to mention beating someones head against that wall, get to know that person a little better. There's always someone bigger and badder on the block than you...

Puppies and Sunshine!

Dude, it's only a small DIY syringe of two part epoxy resin...

When using two part epoxies or methylmetacrylates you want the structural versions.... the liquid nails product you are so pleased about isn't one of them.

When using either of these two part adhesives the secret is all in the prep process.... a point fitch has already alluded to.

Liquid nails don't give you details of the correct process because the adhesive you've chosen to use isn't designed for sheet material so there is no reason to give you that information.

In a few months your Dibond panels will slide off the wall... the adhesive will be firmly bonded to the wall rendering... the back of your panels will be as smooth as a babies @rse. Why? Because you haven't prepared properly before whacking on the adhesive.

Speaking from a long experience with sign adhesives the #1 reason for things not sticking isn't the adhesive... it's the pi$$poor prep and application procedures or lack of.

I-Style

Ok guys screw me,
but let's think out of the box and tell the airplane industry that they are nuts gluing their planes instate of welding and screwing them....

I'm not saying that the products he used are the right ones but there is a glue for anything in these days.

we are testing at the moment a couple of adhesives to glue things even straight underwater etc..

So no offense the good old screw might be in a lot of occasions the best or cheapest solution but 30 years ago people lough about digital printing...

T-Square_WPB

Ok guys screw me,
but let's think out of the box and tell the airplane industry that they are nuts gluing their planes instate of welding and screwing them....

I'm not saying that the products he used are the right ones but there is a glue for anything in these days.

we are testing at the moment a couple of adhesives to glue things even straight underwater etc..

So no offense the good old screw might be in a lot of occasions the best or cheapest solution but 30 years ago people lough about digital printing...

Yep, that's the point I'm making. With the advancements in products why can't there be an adhesive that can do this job. As said, I'll monitor the signs over the next 6 months to ensure they stay secure.

As for prep, I was not "hands on" for that. Our installation crew handled it and they have used this method many times before (at least that what they told me). Was it p#$poor? Doubtful, these guys came highly recommended and do installs throughout the entire southeast region of our USA. :thumb:

CanuckSigns

Yep, that's the point I'm making. With the advancements in products why can't there be an adhesive that can do this job. As said, I'll monitor the signs over the next 6 months to ensure they stay secure.

As for prep, I was not "hands on" for that. Our installation crew handled it and they have used this method many times before (at least that what they told me). Was it p#$poor? Doubtful, these guys came highly recommended and do installs throughout the entire southeast region of our USA. :thumb:

So now the story changes, now you're saying you hired a install crew to install this? :popcorn:

can you name the company you used so no one else in your area hires them to install any signs on stucco

T-Square_WPB

Uggg, signs weren't install with the adhesive on stucco. The stucco area had a base installed then signs were adhered using adhesive and double stick tape. The double stick tape was there to hold signs while adhesive dried. There 11x17 signs installed direct to precast area that was preped first.

As I previously stated, I'm just the one making the signs. We outsourced the install, just as I do with all installs. I'm not an installer and did not make the signs, I designed the signs and put the project through production at another one of our locations. As this was a first for us, I came here asking questions on install for two of the signs. It became this thread.

Idiot, no sir. Uneducated in methods of install, sure. And all take in all advice, comments and even criticism (don't worry, my internet feelings won't get hurt) to make decisions. And hey, if the method didn't work and the signs fall, which are 11x17 5' off the ground and in front of parking spaces so they won't be falling on anyone, I'll post it and you can all tell me "Told ya so!". Until then I will keep looking at all methods for getting projects done.

Thanks.

Fitch

"5' off the ground and in front of parking spaces so they won't be falling on anyone,"

That is until the Sales Manager is having a casual chat while sitting on the hood of his car.

signmeup

I can't figure out why you asked how to install it if you hired another company to install it. Why would you hire someone who didn't know how to do the very thing you hired them to do?

grafixemporium

TSquare... sorry I've been away from S101 for a few weeks. I could have saved you the grief and frustration of reading half the responses here. It seems some of the members here were relentlessly picked on in their adolescent years so now they seek refuge in tearing apart anyone who has a simple question; particularly a question regarding a topic of which they are self-proclaimed experts.

I asked the exact same question a few weeks ago in another thread.

I was offered such ingenius solutions as...

use sky hooks
sell him a projector
work on my negotiating skills
walk away from the job

Every problem has at least one viable solution. Thanks to those of you S101 members who actually care enough to offer sound advice without resorting to insults. To the rest of you... suck it.

davidcarr87

my x father in law is a manager in a plaster company...and i worked with him for a few weeks(then said screw this) and i do remember some things from it..
like i have already said..if you drill any holes in it..moisture will be able to the on the sheetrock stuff..and down comes the wall in the end..

i would have used a post..
thats just me..but hey....im new to all this..so i dunno

I-Style

If you like a proper solution for gluing Dibond to Stucco mail me, i just spoke to our supplier for adhesives and guess what YES WE CAN!.

So screwing is not the only safe solution anymore.

Greetings

Frank