• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dibond to Stucco with liquid nails?

T-Square_WPB

I have a client that says absolutely no to drilling or screwing into their exterior parking garage wall. We have a 12"Hx60"W direct print dibond sign that needs to be adhered above a 15' entrance. Is there anything besides liquid nails???

there is multiple things that concern me here. one that it is a stucco finish and second that it is over an entrance. i wouldnt offer a waiver i would insist that i install it with mechanical fasteners or that the customer takes the sign and installs it themselves.

d fleming

there is multiple things that concern me here. one that it is a stucco finish and second that it is over an entrance. i wouldnt offer a waiver i would insist that i install it with mechanical fasteners or that the customer takes the sign and installs it themselves.

+1
Never let your customer tell you how to do your job. Stucco is easy to patch. The only thing liquid nails is good for is starting a fire in a hurricane.

Pat Whatley

Your best option is to make them hang it themselves. If you're going to do it use silicone instead of liquid nails. Silicone will flex as the Dibond expands and contracts. Liquid nails dried hard and brittle and tends to pop off.

Graphics2u

Every time I use Liquid Nails they splatter all over the place when I hit them with a hammer. :doh::Big Laugh

But I agree that you need to use something more than glue, or as Dan said let the customer Install.

Shnyda

Safety First - No mechanical fasteners on an overhead sign is Crimina. Stick to your guns, if they will not allow fasteners of some type let them install it.

T-Square_WPB

We are at the point with customer we may tell them to install themselves. Great advice on the safety aspect, that wasn't considered on our end. Customer asked if we could install a smaller piece with tapcons, then apply the sign with an epoxy to the smaller piece. But I think the same safety issue comes up even with that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tapcon two battens and then attach the sign to the battens. Actually, that would be a better and more preferred method.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Forget the adhesive, it's not safe. You need to use fastener to attach it to the wall.
Tell him no.

Steve C.

E6100 Multi-Purpose Adhesive. Graphics Solutions Group has it.

Not sure what his problem with drilling holes could be, but if he is conserned
with the holes being there if the sign is removed. I would rather deal with
filling the holes than cleaning off any adhesive that might be used.

AUTO-FX

why not do a screwed on ledger on the back of the sign if it's hidden fasteners your after. you're already there if the customer agreed to a batten fastened on the wall. dont do glue- we're all suggesting ya think safety! if you need a diagram PM me and i'll send you one!

Steve C.

Are they conserned with holes in the stucco or bolds/screws visible on the
sign face? There are several ways to install it with no visible bolts.

skyhigh

We decided to attached a substrate/base to the wall first, then apply a liquid agent that will adhere to the base.

then screw the "liquid agent" (?) and use vhb.

I have a client that says absolutely no to drilling or screwing into their exterior parking garage wall. We have a 12"Hx60"W direct print dibond sign that needs to be adhered above a 15' entrance. Is there anything besides liquid nails???

The way you posed your question, it sounded like he was opposed to HOLES in the wall, when actually he didn't want visible fastners. My first thought was...does this customer know what a mess an adhesive will make, compared to a few holes (which are an easy patch).

eddesign

hub a bu bu

Hey at the top of this form it says a community of professional sign makers.I know no professional sign maker that would hang a sign on a stucco wall with out some sort of mechanical fastners.Silicone or liquid nails can not take the place of mechanical fastners.So whats next hub a bubu chewing gum