• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

different issues continually really wearing on me

gabagoo

I don't think there is a day I dont have issues with either my printer / cutter or software...mostly software.... Flexi is a strange program and does so many things right, but also to many things just wrong...

Take this morning.... I printed 200 decals on a 54" vinyl a few days ago and I laminated them and they are ready for cutting.
I only have one file name from this company in the program manager and when I view the file it is indeed the graphic I printed.
I set the sheet up and it finds all the registration marks along the bottom but when it goes to the top it goes about 3" past where the marks are. I immediately shut the plotter off and reboot the entire system and again it does the same thing.

I look at the info in program manager and it looks correct, I then view the file under properties and it shows a different layout of the 210 decals. It basically shows that the last row of decals stops midway through the column as though I stopped at 210 and did not want more to just use up that material. I sat there thinking how my graphic has 21 rows of 10 decals and the one it wants to cut is 22rows of 9 with an additional row of 12.
I really need 200 and I just print the extras when setting it up before ripping, so this is just insane.

I have no idea how it did this and I am seriously considering getting rid of this entire setup as the issues seem to be getting worse day by day.

I opened the file again and sent the decal out and set it up exactly the way I see the way I printed it and sent it out and just didnt print it and instead went straight to cut and now it is fine.

I really need to know why Flexi is continually sabotaging me day in and day out on a multitude of issues.

Conor Knoxx

the only thing that pops into my mind on this, is that the "media size" (length) is shorter than the space required by the 200 decals - so it thinks you're running out of media, and putting in a new piece. This happened to me once... and it took a while to catch what was going on. Since you're likely using one pattern and telling it to print it 200 times, you wouldn't normally scroll all with way up to see where it ends, so its easy to miss!

Hope that helps!

rjssigns

Not so much a contour cut issue with us, just a cut issue. When trying to send/cut simple lettering jobs to our Summa we would have all kinds of issues. I finally tracked it down to the Avast anti-virus running in the background. Shut that off and it runs like a champ. I would imagine you may have the same issue. Flexi does not play well with certain anti-virus programs, period.

We have since gotten rid of all the free Kim Komando stuff and switched to Advanced System Care.:thumb:

jayhawksigns

Nope, noticed a rearranging of multiple cut items as well. I have just started laying out the multiple items in Flexi and the sending them all as one. That way I know the cut file we be exactly as I laid it out and not as the PM thinks it needs to be.

I've had a single row of decals show as a single vertical column before, and that was for the print file. Don't know what the software is "thinking" sometimes.

Conor Knoxx

oh, heh.. here's a good point (anti-virus) yes! I switched over to a "two computer system" in my first year at this. My design computer has ONLY design software, I don't do windows updates, I don't go online with it whatsoever - so no anti-virus or other "utilities". A second computer does admin / email / internet. If I need to download anything, I do it there, let it scan for viruses then use a shared network folder to copy files over.
I use a 2 port KVM switch so I only use one monitor / keyboard / mouse for the 2 computers.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We almost never actually "open" a cut job in Production Manager. Just right click them and choose send. If you do, be absolutley certain you do not change anything, only click send. It sounds as though the media width got changed somehow which will cause it to rearrange things for you so that it will still fit.

visual800

oh, heh.. here's a good point (anti-virus) yes! I switched over to a "two computer system" in my first year at this. My design computer has ONLY design software, I don't do windows updates, I don't go online with it whatsoever - so no anti-virus or other "utilities". A second computer does admin / email / internet. If I need to download anything, I do it there, let it scan for viruses then use a shared network folder to copy files over.
I use a 2 port KVM switch so I only use one monitor / keyboard / mouse for the 2 computers.

best thing to do. NO WINDOWS UPDATES!!!! cut them off and diable them. disable all adobe reader updates also that thing messed up my production screen. updates are useless and do nothing but screw up the stuff that matters

gabagoo

Nice to know I am not alone but not so nice that we all have encountered these issues.

I worry about turning off avg (free edition) as I dont use the computer online but it is networked to the main computer which is online. I feel I may open myself up for viruses..if I am wrong let me know.,

The rearrangement of the decals simply makes no sense. if the printer (mimaki) printed the file correctly, I cant see how the cut info could have changed to a different layout....just insane!!!!!

choucove

While it's understandable that Windows Updates can be a pain, and yes they can be unnecessary in a lot of situations, they can also be completely vital to the longevity and protection of your computer. Windows updates are often sent out to help patch major security risks, improve stability/compatibility with widely common software (like Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash Player, and Java), and increase stability with drivers for a wide variety of system architectures which may include your own computer.

As an example, a computer system running Windows XP, if they chose never to do Windows updates, then it's very possible that they do not even have Service Pack 3 installed. This means they are unable to install the majority of software available on the market today which requires a minimum of XP SP3 to run properly. This includes Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010, Adobe software, QuickTime, and more. Not to mention, if they've never done these critical updates then their computers is much more susceptible to hacking, malware, and virus threats and I would have to pretty much guarantee that their system is infected in at least one of these ways.

It's best not to just skip out on Windows updates, they can be pretty important! However, I'm not saying you have to go and install them the second they come out. Disable AUTOMATIC updates, and select the option to be informed when updates are available, but let you CHOOSE which updates to download. This way you can see when something comes out, the information about what the update is for, and let it set a week or so to be sure all the bugs have possibly been worked out about the updates. Yes, I've had computers which have had corrupt Windows updates, or a Windows update that was just buggy and caused instability in computers, but this is very rare and why I recommend you waiting a few days before applying the updates.

WildWestDesigns

While it's understandable that Windows Updates can be a pain, and yes they can be unnecessary in a lot of situations, they can also be completely vital to the longevity and protection of your computer. Windows updates are often sent out to help patch major security risks, improve stability/compatibility with widely common software (like Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash Player, and Java), and increase stability with drivers for a wide variety of system architectures which may include your own computer.

Couldn't agree with that assessment more. I always try to get the security certificates and things along those lines.

Also, if you tend to like the newer components that are just out and don't have all the drivers and everything out there to support them or the drivers/support improves through subsequent updates.

I know on the Maximus IV MB, we had to go through several updates before it was set just right since we got it when it first came out.

LittleSnakey

Connor is right Its this!!!!
The media width changed.
All you have to do is set it to 53 do not hit get media width and you should be set.
If that does not work re-open the design file and resend it the same way you printed it then send the cut file from there. Again make sure the media clamps are set properly and you don't hit get media width.

has nothing to do with windows updates

the only thing that pops into my mind on this, is that the "media size" (length) is shorter than the space required by the 200 decals - so it thinks you're running out of media, and putting in a new piece. This happened to me once... and it took a while to catch what was going on. Since you're likely using one pattern and telling it to print it 200 times, you wouldn't normally scroll all with way up to see where it ends, so its easy to miss!

Hope that helps!

visual800

Nice to know I am not alone but not so nice that we all have encountered these issues.

I worry about turning off avg (free edition) as I dont use the computer online but it is networked to the main computer which is online. I feel I may open myself up for viruses..if I am wrong let me know.,

The rearrangement of the decals simply makes no sense. if the printer (mimaki) printed the file correctly, I cant see how the cut info could have changed to a different layout....just insane!!!!!

AVG is the spawn of satan you need to dump that and get avast. AVG was once great but has become bloated and overpowering

CalamityJay

i think it is the media size cutting off somehow. can you do the "show me" option before cutting to be 100% sure where the cuts will be made before doing the final cut? That would at least prevent you from printing and cutting over and over...

my suggestion, setup the file in flexi draw a bounding cut contour line around the image with about .125" away from the contour cut (if there is one)/ image area. Then step and repeat so it will fit on the width of your media. Then send file to rip print and add a .125 weed border with .125" panel margin. *Use auto panel iff there is a line going through the artwork. Make sure you specify the sheet size / roll width in the material area of the general tab as well.

I do this all the time for small prints/ bumper sticker sized stuff. It just makes weeding and final trimming so much easier! I should probably add this to the tips and tricks section of signs 101! haha

Hope that makes sense, it does in my mind...

gabagoo

Connor is right Its this!!!!
The media width changed.
All you have to do is set it to 53 do not hit get media width and you should be set.
If that does not work re-open the design file and resend it the same way you printed it then send the cut file from there. Again make sure the media clamps are set properly and you don't hit get media width.

has nothing to do with windows updates

I know what your saying, but I know for a fact that this is not the case.
Lets hypothetically say that I load the material into the printer and set it up and lets say that it is 54"...generally the head will read 52.5"...as long as I stay in that area I am fine....

if I ran a job that was to large for it, I have seen where the printer simply does not finish the registration marks, so I know immediately that something is wrong.
I would also say that if your theory was correct that I would have encountered this a lot more in the last 5 years. This may be the first time I have seen it happen.

I have caught the head reading 48" on 54" material, but I think that happens when the material is not pulled out enough in front of the head.

CalamityJay

do you have the ability to print through illy? and cut through winplot?

if something goes screwy...try another way.

this could be leading you astray from your actual problem though. what kind of setup do you have? this seems very big.

Snydo

Conor nailed right off, your media size was jacked somewhere.

But I have to say I have been using Flexi in one version or another for 5-7 days a week for the last 9 years and I have thousands of hours of experience with it, and HELL YES this program is clunky, buggy, finicky or any of a hundred other adjectives you want to use. Open a .pdf ....sure, no problem....2 minutes later..open a .pdf...um no....'file format not supported'...WTF!@...the same file!
Constant 'out of memory' errors....'the program must now shut down'........'would you like to save file?'...yes I would....click 'save'......'failed to save document.'....really?..really. Hmm 22 of 24 GB memory free, scratch disk empty, Hard drive 931 GB free, out of memory..really.
Flexi gets the job done, but it does not like you, and never will, treat it like a cantankerous mule and you will be fine. Good Luck

ova

When we had a problem similar to this, we found the print was outside the registration marks on the right side facing the printer, thus giving the media width a different size. We were doing the print/lam/cut deal.

I think cleaning and eventually changing the encoder strip cured the problem. Took a while to figure it out. The print was only about 1/16th inch outside of the registration mark.

Not sure this is your problem or even close, but to me it sounds like the same issue.

Dave

CalamityJay

Flexi gets the job done, but it does not like you, and never will, treat it like a cantankerous mule and you will be fine. Good Luck

Haha great quote.

Jesse_gvi

Nope, noticed a rearranging of multiple cut items as well. I have just started laying out the multiple items in Flexi and the sending them all as one. That way I know the cut file we be exactly as I laid it out and not as the PM thinks it needs to be.

I do this too. Easier than remembering the spacing/panel size I used in order to recreate the "Cut only" file when Flexi screws me again.