• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Product Digital design/ tea company

Which one do you like

• Total voters

Sidney

Took 14 hours but I believe in done. Which one do you like?

Attachments

• Tea_macaw_prelim_proof.jpg
    Tea_macaw_prelim_proof.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 664

TimToad

Is package design something you are experienced in?

Is this for a sign or a label?

The product name and its producer is so understated that I'd be hard pressed to choose it off the shelf at the store.

It seems like you spent 13.50 hours on the illustration and .50 hours on the text to describe and name the product.

Emphasizing the product a lot more would really help.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Another vague question with very little put forth in articulating ones need. What is this design for? Looks like 5 of the same designs with a different border.

Sidney

Is package design something you are experienced in?

Is this for a sign or a label?

The product name and its producer is so understated that I'd be hard pressed to choose it off the shelf at the store.

It seems like you spent 13.50 hours on the illustration and .50 hours on the text to describe and name the product.

Emphasizing the product a lot more would really help.
It will be for signage and labels. You are correct.....This customer's main focus has always been visual impact/draw with simple Titles. There may be some additional text (tbd). Also, he is the exclusive supplier of coffee and tea at these stores.
Thank you for your input I truly appreciate it.
Sidney:)

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I really dont get or like the design. Looks like something for old stuffy perfume women. The name is in cursive and is like 10% of the whole thing. It's very busy and too many colors.

Maybe try researching product labels or go to the gas station and get some ideas. I know when I present options to a client, I give them DIFFERANT options, not just the same one with differant border.

Sidney

Another vague question with very little put forth in articulating ones need. What is this design for? Looks like 5 of the same designs with a different border.
Yes, it is the same design. It's the final one he chose with different border colors.

TimToad

It will be for signage and labels. You are correct.....This customer's main focus has always been visual impact/draw with simple Titles. There may be some additional text (tbd). Also, he is the exclusive supplier of coffee and tea at these stores.
Thank you for your input I truly appreciate it.
Sidney:)

Regardless of the exclusivity of the distribution of the product, potential purchasers shouldn't have to hunt around the label for what it is you're trying to sell them.

Unless we're missing something here like the bottom area below the bridge being filked with the individual variety of tea in the box, the entire concept while having a well done illustration, leaves me uninspired to buy a box due to its lack of clear visual cues of what is being sold.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Scarlet Macaw is the brand. Take a hint from Grandma and don't hide it.

Attachments

• default-logo.png
    default-logo.png
    42 KB · Views: 477

Sidney

Regardless of the exclusivity of the distribution of the product, potential purchasers shouldn't have to hunt around the label for what it is you're trying to sell them.

Unless we're missing something here like the bottom area below the bridge being filked with the individual variety of tea in the box, the entire concept while having a well done illustration, leaves me uninspired to buy a box due to its lack of clear visual cues of what is being sold.
Thank you for your input. Sidney:)

Sidney

I really dont get or like the design. Looks like something for old stuffy perfume women. The name is in cursive and is like 10% of the whole thing. It's very busy and too many colors.

Maybe try researching product labels or go to the gas station and get some ideas. I know when I present options to a client, I give them DIFFERANT options, not just the same one with differant border.
It definitely is a feminine design. Totally appreciate your honesty. Sidney:)

Sidney

Tim, good points. Here are a few other designs for his product line.

Attachments

• IcedCoffee_hillbilly_two_sides_proof.jpg
    IcedCoffee_hillbilly_two_sides_proof.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 494
  • iced_coffee_18x12_print.jpg
    iced_coffee_18x12_print.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 491
  • Mike_Business_info_sunrays_5x5.jpg
    Mike_Business_info_sunrays_5x5.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 500

Sidney

Scarlet Macaw is the brand. Take a hint from Grandma and don't hide it.
James, You are so right. I have done work for this company for 20 years and no matter how many times I make Scarlet Macaw play a more prominent role, he always wants it reduced. His brand name Scarlet Macaw is so well known in Long Island, NY, that it's the visual artistry that draws the attention (seems by now the customers know the quality of his products).
Thank you, James

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I just don't think any of those designs look good... Plus it would be easier if you could mock it up on the actual container. The container gives more of a whole picture.

Google "Beverage Labels" and look at what they have there. Most of the designs are easy to digest (lol, get it?)
26233117_531472453898551_9078615838118545109_o.jpg

436758_5393627_962230_thumbnail.jpg
images
WRFStrbcksBevBots2.jpg

dale911

President
Tim, good points. Here are a few other designs for his product line.

I agree with the other guys. I hate all of these and would not buy a product with these labels. Guess he is only popular in Long Island because of lack of competition and he will never get bigger than Long Island because no one is going to pick this product when there is a better looking product sitting next to it. Product packaging is far more important than what it is or who the brand is. It has to appeal to the buyer and clearly stand out from the pack.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I was just having a discussion with an illustrator about the gear he uses for his illustrations. He was working on some tea packaging and it was awesome. Your illustration looks appropriate for the product, (celestial seasonings comes to mind) but I can't say the same for the typography or how you layout the imagery with the type. The border does not seem appropriate. I would study other illustrations and border treatments, stay away from "sign shop" type and treatments. Otherwise, from what I can see, nice illustrations...

Billct2

To answer your question "D"
To add to the critique, it took me a minute to figure out it was the birds wing wrapping around the cup. Lose the sleeve on the other wing so it's more obvious. Is that the color of
the tea, it's a really unappetizing shade. There's something going on with the other side of the bridge and the pagoda roof that is off perspective.

Old Guy

There's an old axiom that has existed since I started in '64: "Ours is the only trade (as designers and sign guys) where the customer is not always right..." I think it would be to the client's advantage to have listened to your input. Label priorities: Primary (logo, name), secondary (what are you selling?), last (all the other small info that just HAS to be there).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The whole thing is a terrible idea from product recognition to the rendering of the artwork. You have 4 distinct light sources. Inside that's possible, but not outside, unless you're in a stadium. You have several ground perspective planes, your use of muted colors to brilliant do not match whatsoever and most of all.... your drawings are quite a bit wonky. Nothing matches up or is an easy flow.

This bird seems to be the center of focus. Is that by your choice or theirs ??