• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dishwasher safe decals for glass carafes

SeeEmWhyKay

Print Plug & Pigment Procurer
Hello everyone- hope your Monday is treating you well.

I have a personal friend who is opening up a bar- and has 1 liter glass carafes that they want to put their logo on- solid black. Overall size will be about 4" x 3" with a pretty tight weed on some small lettering. Screen-printing is out of their budget, and it's only a run of 50- most people I work with won't print to customer supplied materials anyhow. I was thinking of making stencils and painting, but if there is a heat transfer vinyl method or something similar like a waterslide decal that would hold up in the dishwasher after a sealant or bake- that is what I would prefer to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. She's a sweet lady and I want to come through for her.

TIA <3

SeeEmWhyKay

Could you acid etch them on for her?

I initially wanted to laser etch them for her as I have that capability at my shop, however she wants the image to be black and not frosted. I've attached the logo to show you what I am trying to emulate. Thanks for your suggestion though!

Attachments

• 20200809_VIBEZ LOUNGE_LOGO-01.png
    20200809_VIBEZ LOUNGE_LOGO-01.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 201

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You'll need to find a dishwasher safe paint or inkjet. Why would screen printing be out of her budget ?? Did you quote her on it ?? If she can't afford your markup on it and she's a dear sweet friend, send her to them directly and cut yourself outta the deal.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I initially wanted to laser etch them for her as I have that capability at my shop, however she wants the image to be black and not frosted. I've attached the logo to show you what I am trying to emulate. Thanks for your suggestion though!

Sorry, missed the part where you mentioned it needs to be black.

I'd think screen printing or pad printing are probably the only options.

Or...you could print on optically clear, laminate w/ optically clear, and slap them on.

I've had (even unlaminated) decals last pretty good in the dishwasher, but then again they weren't running through a commercial kitchen every day.

SeeEmWhyKay

You'll need to find a dishwasher safe paint or inkjet. Why would screen printing be out of her budget ?? Did you quote her on it ?? If she can't afford your markup on it and she's a dear sweet friend, send her to them directly and cut yourself outta the deal.

Hello Gino! Thanks so much for your input. I've called around to my screenprinter contacts and no one wants to touch a customer supplied product to print to or want a really high rate, otherwise I would have gone that route. Super interested in a dishwasher safe inkjet transfer- would you mind linking me to a product that would work for that? Thanks again.

SeeEmWhyKay

Sorry, missed the part where you mentioned it needs to be black.

I'd think screen printing or pad printing are probably the only options.

Or...you could print on optically clear, laminate w/ optically clear, and slap them on.

I've had (even unlaminated) decals last pretty good in the dishwasher, but then again they weren't running through a commercial kitchen every day.

I am tempted to try exactly this, however my concerns are if it will get milky looking over time. Have half a mind to just try some 7725 and shoot it with clear but I've never done that before and am concerned it would look like Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I don't know of any. I think there's something like that out there, but til you find someone who does it or specializes in it, I doubt it'll be much cheaper than screening it. In a commercial establishment, you can't just go off half-cocked and start using something you think will work. The first time those things go into a dishwasher, they are putting contaminants into the water, including the rinse water. There are inspections on places where people eat and drink and water is often times tested..... for all kindsa sh!t. Don't be a supplier of those contaminants. My stepson is one of those inspectors and the stuff he says they find is enough to make ya hurl for days. Some people pay the fines and just keep doing whatever it is they're doing wrong, with no regards for how it might be harming people. They say, ahh, that little bit won't harm them. Yeah, right.

SeeEmWhyKay

Personally, I don't know of any. I think there's something like that out there, but til you find someone who does it or specializes in it, I doubt it'll be much cheaper than screening it. In a commercial establishment, you can't just go off half-cocked and start using something you think will work. The first time those things go into a dishwasher, they are putting contaminants into the water, including the rinse water. There are inspections on places where people eat and drink and water is often times tested..... for all kindsa sh!t. Don't be a supplier of those contaminants. My stepson is one of those inspectors and the stuff he says they find is enough to make ya hurl for days. Some people pay the fines and just keep doing whatever it is they're doing wrong, with no regards for how it might be harming people. They say, ahh, that little bit won't harm them. Yeah, right.

Excellent point, I would hate to contribute to anything that could get someone ill or potentially failing a health inspection. These inks are not to be trifled with- I remember when I was pregnant with my son (13 years ago now) I worked right next to a huge NUR Salsa that was so noxious my eyes would burn on big run days.. surprisingly he did not come out with an arm growing out of his head :D

Thanks again Gino- always love your contributions to these forums, thanks for responding

SeeEmWhyKay

This is awesome. If I can figure out what they are printing to I am sure I can work with these. Thanks for this link!

SeeEmWhyKay

Consider laser etching them and then filling in the etched section with the dishwasher safe paint or ink designed for use on glass.

This is a REALLY good idea! I'd have to test it out to see how it would work but I really like this direction. Thank you!

jwlllpl

https://www.hofcraft.com/plaid-enamels.html

The etched with painted ones I have done. Folkart Enamel actually puts out a decent product. The curing - did mine twice - is pretty simple too. I have some Christmas glasses I did several years ago that have held up really well thru several washings. Can't say for an industrial dishwasher but a bar top dish machine should be fine.

SeeEmWhyKay

https://www.hofcraft.com/plaid-enamels.html

The etched with painted ones I have done. Folkart Enamel actually puts out a decent product. The curing - did mine twice - is pretty simple too. I have some Christmas glasses I did several years ago that have held up really well thru several washings. Can't say for an industrial dishwasher but a bar top dish machine should be fine.

This is great info. I was hoping maybe to bypass etching altogether and create a stamp using our trotec and apply the logo with a similar paint. They have big ovens too that they can use to cure. I am actually heading to the craft store momentarily to grab some paint, I should pick some of this up to play with.

jwlllpl

I was hoping maybe to bypass etching altogether and create a stamp using our trotec and apply the logo with a similar paint.
I do not see why this would not work without etching. I had etched mine the previous year and came back and painted the following year as an after thought. I would pick up some cheap glasses and test them. Can't hurt.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Black on clear print is how I'd do it. Bubble cut the logo. I've done Edge prints in multi colors that have help up super well in dishwashers. We've done labels for wine bottles, honey jars, hot sauce jars. Most for ourselves or close friends, so I know they've held up well.

SeeEmWhyKay

Black on clear print is how I'd do it. Bubble cut the logo. I've done Edge prints in multi colors that have help up super well in dishwashers. We've done labels for wine bottles, honey jars, hot sauce jars. Most for ourselves or close friends, so I know they've held up well.

Awesome, thanks Whiskey. Gerber Edge printers are not easy to come by nowadays and I am not 100% sure who has one in my locale but it is worth a shot.

I went ahead and got the stamp ready to go anyhow and will be picking up the glass paint tonight for testing. I will let you all know how it goes once I get my science on.

This community is really the best, I truly appreciate everyone's input.