• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do You Accept Credit Cards?

Do You Accept Credit Cards?

• Yes

Votes: 81 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 35 30.2%

• Total voters

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred-

Do you have the ability to have your customer agree to a debt or credit type transaction?

At my day job, we just went through some training that showed a typical transaction(swiped) on a $1000.00 - costs us about $23.00 and if we were to choose debt, there is a flat fee 0f $0.60 reguardless of the amount.

I know there are not many $1000.00 orders but if you can do it - you could save some money. Plus a debt transaction is safer for you and the customer (from identity theft).

John

Not that I know of but I've also never heard of it until now. What is the difference other than a lower rate?

jgolo

The lower rate is because there is almost no risk for the bank using the debt transaction. You swipe the card as normal and then ask the customer if they would like debt or credit, if they choose debt then they would enter their PIN and they do not even need to sign their recipt. It's just like they went to their ATM and got cash.

We may not even ask "debt or credit" - We may just pick debt for them - You just have to look on the back of the card and look for the icons of several banks or atm vendors - if there are several then it's a debt card - if there is none and only the issuing bank info, then it's a credit card only.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The reason I had not heard of it was that i think you are actually referring to a "debit" transaction. Our machine does this automatically without asking us. I know others who are setup so that they only accept debit cards (otherwise known as ATM cards) and yet others who do not have this ability and can only process a crdit card.

Most banks today, at least in my area, issue a debit card to anyone that opens an account for use in their ATM's and for use at the grocery store etc. the difference is that the funds are immediately taken from the card holder's account.

And yes, the rate is lower.

jgolo

Yea- I did mean "debit"

Not sure why I left out the "i"

But if you can choose debit on you machine and depending on the amount of the transaction, you could save money.

Anthony

I accept all major cards, I asked my credit card company and for transactions under $30.00 dollars you will save money using credit. Over that amount debit will be cheaper. I know how many trnsactions will you have under $30.00? For me quite a lot since I do a lot of T-Shirts at $20.00 a piece.

sullosau

we have the same system here in Oz called EFTPOS same as you r debit system (electronic funds transfer point of sale) you still have to have a merchant agreement here thou to use it I think. ( I dont have one)
Paypal only for ccard for the time being,

animenick65

Paypal is no good. I know of two people who have had their accounts broken into. Their security is horrible. And they are known for freezing accounts for no good reason. They freezed thousands of accounts when the suspected that people were selling playstation 3s with the accounts and they just didn't feel like dealing with the potential problems so they froze them. I wouldn't trust a company that does that, especially with a business.

Derf

I take MC. Visa... I could take Discover and AMEX but I choose not to. I figure if you are paying with a Credit card you have a visa or MC in your wallet

madisonsignguy

Paypal is no good. I know of two people who have had their accounts broken into. Their security is horrible. And they are known for freezing accounts for no good reason. \

That's why I posted that before. I'm glad everyone has had a good experience; I just wanted to pass on what could happen also. And I say this from experience. I had my account frozen because some moron graphic designer that I did a install for said I never put it up. The problem was the client didn't like the designers design so the designer decided to take that out on me (all i did was the install not design)

Well he told paypal that we never did the install and we cheated him blablabla and paypal froze my account. I sent paypal pictures proving that I did the install, A signed Estimate, and a signed invoice that says all work is complete, and apparently that was not good enough for them cause they sided with the other guy.

That is when I stopped using paypal for good. So just a warning that it could happen it does not have the same protections as a real merchant account.

WVB

If you are a Sams Club Plus member they offer a service through First Data (people who own Western Union). No Fees... However, if you are just a Sams Member there is a 4.95/month fee...

34-48 hrs you will see your deposits.
Fees deducted at end of month.
2.08% + 19 cents for business cards
or
1.65% +19 cents for retail cards
Debit cards = no % just flat rate of 25 cents
Uses Model NURIT8000GPRS = $595
or
Lease it for 29.94/month + get 100 gift cards for free.
You get a comp. pin pad for free with purchase or lease
You can check checks at a rate of
2.39% +29 cents Authorization is guaranteed.

You can go mobile with the wireless version at $1,080 or lease for 39.94 +
15.00/month to the celluar company I think cingular.

What do you guys think of this deal..?

SAS

Bank of America now owns NPC for now all bills you get have the npc logo. I'm with NPC but about a year ago they started charging me a $15.00 monthly fee. But when Bank of America took the company over they lowered my rate to 1.59% and 0.20 cent pre transaction.
If anyone is thinking of going with a swipe terminal buy it off ebay by the time you pay $30 - $60 a month for 4 to 5 years you will be ahead even if the terminal stops working and you have to buy another.
I paid $1500 about 7 years ago for a Nurit 2085 terminal from a guy that came into the shop selling credit card terminals and service. You can get that same terminal on ebay for around $100

WVB

I did the ebay search and did find some great deals. You can buy the same machine Nurit brand new for $200 and if you want to sign up with Merchant Services LTD. its 1.49% + 17 cents per trans. with a 2 year contract of $3.99 per month. Or you can go with the verifone 3730LE for 149.99 or the 3730 for 199.99 and take checks at a rate of 1.59% + 25 cents per trans and a $10/month statement fee.

Gene@mpls

I have been researching CC Processing and have decided on Costco.

Retail Merchants
1.64%
Plus 20¢ per card-swiped transaction

Mail/Telephone Order Merchants
1.99%
Plus 27¢ per transaction

Program Features
Accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, debit cards and corporate purchasing cards.**
$4.95 monthly statement fee - waived for Executive Members
One time $25 application fee - waived for Executive Members
Live customer service 24-hours a day / 7-days a week
Free basic online merchant account access
No batch fees

*This program contains a $20 monthly minimum, which does not affect the majority of Costco members. Reward cards process at a higher rate.
**Rates for American Express, Discover, debit and corporate purchasing cards may vary.

For debit cards do you not have to have a ('private') keypad so that the
customer can use their PIN without being observed?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
After all these years, no, we don't accept any of them. After reading these posts, maybe we'll look into next year. Most people come in prepared to spend money, so there generally isn't a problem. Occasionally, but they then get their checkbook out and fill it out.

They don't accept credit cards at the bar across the street, so why should I ?? Speaking of across the street, is it after 10am yet ??? :rolleyes: