• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you ask, “How did you find us?”

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Think about a brand new client that is exactly your style. They have already indicated that they have more business to give you. What’s more, they have been easy to work with, and it feels good to do business with them. On top of that, you have been able to share a mutual smile and enjoy the whole experience.

Do you know how they found you?

Some of you may ask frequently. I welcome your stories.

Others may want to ask but are not sure about how to best get started.

Here are some tips: Decide when to ask, usually during the first touchpoint. That is when the answer will be fresh in their mind. They may say, “On the internet.” Be prepared to probe a little deeper gently.

Please keep track of their answer. Start a dossier for that client. And then collect the data in a "How they found us" spreadsheet.

From me, you have free one-to-one training available. Working as a team, we will assess your current skills and then level up. I will help you practice your new skill. You can enjoy the sidekick effect.
If you have any interest or questions, see my signature below for various ways to connect with me.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I used to ask about 10-15 years ago so I knew how my phone book ads were working. We had two phone books and I kept track of how each one preformed. We also had wrapped trucks and radio spots. Even with all that, the top spots were repeat and referral.

Now, I dont ask because its either referral or internet. No need to find out from each call because it doesn't matter anymore now that I don't spend $ on advertising.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
In the phone book days you could use a different number to track the results. Now you can use landing pages to track response.
Really though, I don't think most established guys have a big need to go after new business. The real challenge is having the capacity to get the work done with slim pickens in the workforce.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Finally, a thread which is self-explaining.

Usually within the first 10 minutes or so, I just say, hey... how'd you come around to finding us..... I'm always curious ?? Then I tell them, ya see, if someone refers a customer to me, I give them something in return. It also encourages any new customer to do the same.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Finally, a thread which is self-explaining.

Usually within the first 10 minutes or so, I just say, hey... how'd you come around to finding us..... I'm always curious ?? Then I tell them, ya see, if someone refers a customer to me, I give them something in return. It also encourages any new customer to do the same.

Im curious, who sharpens your scissors

Stacey K

I like making signs
I used to ask about 10-15 years ago so I knew how my phone book ads were working. We had two phone books and I kept track of how each one preformed. We also had wrapped trucks and radio spots. Even with all that, the top spots were repeat and referral.

Now, I dont ask because its either referral or internet. No need to find out from each call because it doesn't matter anymore now that I don't spend $ on advertising.
Good point, I've only spent $40 for advertising so far in 3 years.

Z SIGNS

C'mon who doesn't know in the first 20 seconds of conversation where they came from. Do you think people here are really that dumb and need your help?

Johnny Best

I'm confused, you tell us to listen, write it down on the right hand corner of my paper when I meet the customer. Now your telling me to ask where they found me. When does the listening stop and the talking start.

StratoJet

Merchant Member
Interesting subject. For the “I know everything experts”, no need to post since you’re no help. For the others, be open to good ideas. One thing you would be surprised to know, 82% of companies don’t tap into your current customer base but invest in trying to get new ones. Send out an email to you’re whole database every 2-3 months and offer something interesting, you’ll be amazed how much $$ this simple task will generate. And yes, free or not, understand where your new clients come from, this will help you grow (this added income might cover a monthly payment for your new piece of equipment).

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I wonder....

How would I answer the following people, if they asked me the same question:

- Septic tank pumper guy - "Well, the sign on your truck said you were number one in the number two business. And the last guy we had in here just treated us like $h!t."

- Proctologist / Urologist / OBGYN - "Your five-star google review said you had a warm personality and very comfortable "handling" procedures.

- Funeral director - "As if I had any choice in this matter."

- Police officer (writing a ticket) - "I can't drive 55."

- Bartender / Budtender - "I don't trust just anybody to help me kill brain cells".

- Judge - "Well, your honor, it all started like this...."

- DMV worker - "I only prefer to be insulted by the very best. You did a hell of a job on that last guy."

This is rather fun. I'm sure you can think of more.

JB

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well, how'd you find out about us?

"Well, when I called XX sign company and told them all I needed was a small sign for my husband's last minute Christmas gift, and I just wanted to come in and sit down with someone to see what kind of designs we could come up with today, they said "Let me refer you to ...."

204SignGuy

Assistant to the Regional Manager
I always ask when larger sign companies are calling to sub out local installs. Usually from Google search. Occasionally the call the other (smaller) sign shop with better SEO and they refer them to us as they can't usually handle large scale installs.

For local clients, I don't ask as much as I should. Typically it's word of mouth.

Stacey K

I like making signs
When I bought my building it had been a bait and gun shop and the guy retired. My largest customer base for several weeks when I opened said...

"I'd like some fish bait" "What happened to the bait shop?" "Do you sell guns?" "Do you sell fishing licenses?" "Where can I get bait?" "Where do I get a fishing license?" "Are you sure you don't have bait?" "Will you be selling bait soon" "When will you be selling guns again?"

None of these people ever came back. They either stomped out the door or sped off so fast they left dust in the air.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
When I bought my building it had been a bait and gun shop and the guy retired. My largest customer base for several weeks when I opened said...

"I'd like some fish bait" "What happened to the bait shop?" "Do you sell guns?" "Do you sell fishing licenses?" "Where can I get bait?" "Where do I get a fishing license?" "Are you sure you don't have bait?" "Will you be selling bait soon" "When will you be selling guns again?"

None of these people ever came back. They either stomped out the door or sped off so fast they left dust in the air.
"are you sure you don't have bait?"