• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you ask, “How did you find us?”

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
When I bought my building it had been a bait and gun shop and the guy retired. My largest customer base for several weeks when I opened said...

"I'd like some fish bait" "What happened to the bait shop?" "Do you sell guns?" "Do you sell fishing licenses?" "Where can I get bait?" "Where do I get a fishing license?" "Are you sure you don't have bait?" "Will you be selling bait soon" "When will you be selling guns again?"

None of these people ever came back. They either stomped out the door or sped off so fast they left dust in the air.

I would of told them the bait is around back in the dirt...go dig up the worms and bring them to the counter for checkout when you're done.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When I bought my building it had been a bait and gun shop and the guy retired. My largest customer base for several weeks when I opened said...

"I'd like some fish bait" "What happened to the bait shop?" "Do you sell guns?" "Do you sell fishing licenses?" "Where can I get bait?" "Where do I get a fishing license?" "Are you sure you don't have bait?" "Will you be selling bait soon" "When will you be selling guns again?"

None of these people ever came back. They either stomped out the door or sped off so fast they left dust in the air.

If you'd look up in that old cabinet, that's where Luther kept it. Yeah, the moose mating call thingies.................. I'd like 3 of them. I wanna bag a lotta moose this year.

Signs ?? Who the heck wants signs ?? We don't need no stinkin' signs................​

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Tex gets his referrals cuz his number is scratched in the bathroom wall at the local truck stop. Not the best method but it pays the bills

Reveal1

A worthwhile topic Robert. I always ask. No spreadsheets for me cause I'm not that big that I need more paperwork to confirm what I'm usually hearing first hand.

If I felt I had too much business, I would raise prices or focus on more profitable lines of business. Targeting the lead generation of more profitable lines makes sense.

Understanding where the business comes from also helps you tailor advertising or even referrals to the type of business you want the most. If I'm getting junk referrals, I'll figure a way to let the referring customer know I don't do that stuff anymore etc and if I had a couple of referral sources that generate particularly profitable business, I would want to know and do more to encourage..

Google/MS ads my only advertising. Can tailor specifically to a particular clientele or product line. Definitely want to know how that's working; Google analytics helps, but no substitute for talking to customers.

Johnny Best

Another thing to remember, do not ask a potential customer where they are from. Because that would be ending your sentence with a preposition.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I appreciate all who have taken the time to reply.
Several have mentioned that their new client found them on Google.
A hint of things to come. I am researching and writing a free
do-it-yourself checklist for your Google My Business listing.
We shall see how it goes. If you are interested in joining me in this project, please contact me.

Last edited:

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
As I see it, every sign shop has its own DNA. Each has a distinctive personality.
By asking, "How did you find us?" you give yourself a chance to learn what attracted this wonderful new client to your shop. Then you can take what you learn and build on it.
If you are interested in this tactic, please contact me. You will enjoy a free sample of a productive conversation.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Just saw this in the bathroom of my local tavern

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 125