• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you wear gloves while applying vinyl?

mim

0_o
My hands are always covered in minor cuts and scrapes from materials and, I guess, a lack of coordination with the xacto :oops: I don't really care but outside of work I get a lot of comments that I should wear gloves. I can't imagine working with vinyl with gloves on, I'm frustrated just thinking of it lol.

Just curious if anybody does, and if so, what type/brand?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
For sign work? No gloves.
I only wear gloves when unloading pvc and polymetal sheets from the delivery truck.

• Agree
Reactions: mim

rjssigns

For large areas of vinyl I use the white poly gloves from Horror Freight. If I lose them or wreck them it doesn't matter. A bag of them is less than 10 bucks.
In the lab at school we have some super slick application gloves from Italy. Better than the name brand gloves but they're stupid expensive. IIRC they cost around 30 bucks for one.:oops:

Stacey K

I like making signs
These are the kind of gloves GAC05 wears...
1633533452412.png

unclebun

Don't use X-Acto knives to apply vinyl. For most anything sign-related for that matter. Those #1 blades are murder on anything they bump into or fall on. Far too pointed. Use a retractable snap blade knife like an Olfa SVR-2.

And if you're cutting the backing paper for application, use an Olfa scissors, not a knife. No risk of cutting yourself and you don't get a line of that fuzzy paper fiber under your vinyl from knife cutting paper either.

mim

0_o
Don't use X-Acto knives to apply vinyl. For most anything sign-related for that matter. Those #1 blades are murder on anything they bump into or fall on. Far too pointed. Use a retractable snap blade knife like an Olfa SVR-2.

And if you're cutting the backing paper for application, use an Olfa scissors, not a knife. No risk of cutting yourself and you don't get a line of that fuzzy paper fiber under your vinyl from knife cutting paper either.

I use both but its ALWAYS with the xacto that I end up hurting myself o_O I use it for weeding and trimming contours. Olfa for just general cutting purposes. I never use either for backing paper, I learned that (expensive) lesson the hard way.

unclebun

Use a pick for weeding, not an X-Acto. And you can cut things out with the Olfa, you just have to learn how to hold it (not like a pencil)

• Agree

mim

0_o
Use a pick for weeding, not an X-Acto. And you can cut things out with the Olfa, you just have to learn how to hold it (not like a pencil)

I have a pick too but I always go for the xacto, it seems better to me, but I guess if I'm posting on a forum about injuring myself I should probably train myself to use the pick instead haha. Thanks!

jochwat

Graphics Department
I've had both a pick and an x-acto roll off the table and stick into my shoe. I don't know why the barrels of these things are cylindrical instead of, oh, I dunno, ANY OTHER SHAPE.

unclebun

I've had both a pick and an x-acto roll off the table and stick into my shoe. I don't know why the barrels of these things are cylindrical instead of, oh, I dunno, ANY OTHER SHAPE.
We don't use the X-Acto brand handles. Ours have the tightening scre mechanism at the back end and there's a hex nut shape there. Excel brand I think. They don't roll.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
that's why i have one of the black handled ones. it has flat sides on one end so no more rolling

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hard to believe that people outside your workplace comment on your hands. What kinda people do you hang around with ??

Do this and it won't be so evident.................

1633618548866.png

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I wield blades all day long - I never cut myself with the blades, but I'm chronic with paper cuts. That liner can make some pretty deep cuts. My arms get scratched up from substrates like SIntra and coro corners.

• Agree