• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

does anyone know of an alternative to The Big Squeegee Laminator found on fellers?

0igo

just came across The Big Squeegee Laminator tool on fellers and was wondering if anyone knew of an alternative tool. or if any of you have made one it would be nice to know. dont think that tool is worth $150, its just plastic.

Techman

It is worth every penny.
How much is your time worth?
You spend 4 hours making one or 10 minutes ordering one.

And the design is already perfected. After about 10 tries you might finally get it just right..
Its just plastic? The guy spent countless hours designing in and making it just right... Then another countless hours marketing it to finally being accepted.

0igo

It is worth every penny.
How much is your time worth?
You spend 4 hours making one or 10 minutes ordering one.

And the design is already perfected. After about 10 tries you might finally get it just right..
Its just plastic? The guy spent countless hours designing in and making it just right... Then another countless hours marketing it to finally being accepted.

thanks man but didnt answer my question.

player

Talk to Dale about the new models coming out.

I think just cutting the pipe would be hard to do properly.

There is nobody competing as far as I have seen.

0igo

Talk to Dale about the new models coming out.

I think just cutting the pipe would be hard to do properly.

There is nobody competing as far as I have seen.

whose dale? can you send him my way please. and okay if theres new models coming out ill hold off on buying one right now. thanks

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
whose dale? can you send him my way please. and okay if theres new models coming out ill hold off on buying one right now. thanks

Dale is the owner of Signs by Dale and is also the manufacturer of the Big Squeegee. He is a merchant member here and has been for a very long time. If you will look at the current poll on the home page, it is one that he started regarding future models he is planning on introducing. He also sells Big Squeegees directly if you prefer to go straight to the source.

0igo

cool thanks guys just sent him a message. will most likely be joining the family soon. lol

toucan_graphics

The developer of the Big Squeegee is a member here. (signsbydale)

From a pure economics standpoint (as I understand your motivation to be since you said you didn't think it was worth $150)...... how much money would it cost you to get a piece of PVC pipe, cut it to the proper convex, mount it to a large teflon board and add more PVC pipe for the handle? Then, would it work as intended? If you were able to create a working substitute for the Big Squeegee, how much time would you have invested into making said bootleg squeegee?

I'm pretty handy with tools but I think I would have at least 3-5 hours into making a working replica of The Big Squeegee plus the cost of materials.
At my shop rate of $30 per hour plus cost of materials I would probably have very close to $150 invested in a cheap imitation. Why not just drop the coins to get one without all the headache of trying to reinvent the wheel? Time is money and 5 hours spent on making a product which is readily available is time that could be used to complete jobs for paying customers. I would rather spend 5 hour MAKING money instead of 5 hours LOSING money.

This merely MY economic interpretation of the situation present in the OP.

FYI, The Big Squeegee is available as low as $79.95

Techman

thanks man but didnt answer my question.
yes i did,
First, you wanted a cheaper version,, there are no cheaper off brand versions that I know of..
You wanted to do it yourself thus cutting out dale.
I said it was not worth cutting out dale because the time and materials would be far more expensive.

0igo

yes i did,
First, you wanted a cheaper version,, there are no cheaper off brand versions that I know of..
You wanted to do it yourself thus cutting out dale.
I said it was not worth cutting out dale because the time and materials would be far more expensive.

thanks dale jr

Mysigns4u

Felt squeegee

Making a squeegee by felt use spray glue. Used cardboard package corners.

I laminated these prints and installed them with this and the tool is 36" long.
Saved my butT on a solo install
Also put on a flat board it also work with felt.

Attachments

• 20160216_130502.jpg
    20160216_130502.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 20160220_122052.jpg
    20160220_122052.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 151

player

You win.

0igo

thats crazy, i would not have thought of that at all. great work and thanks for this.

d fleming

Absolutely, Seal makes a dang fine alternative to the big squeegee. First time I used a BS was rebranding the canopies at a gas station in wrap vinyl. Thing paid for itself in ten minutes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to share a short video I made with the felt squeegee, If u have some felt laying around or pickup at hobby store this will take less then 5 min to make. u can use a straight board basically anything that's not to heavy to handle that has a straight smooth surface or edge.

https://www.facebook.com/TimBoyce1979/posts/544410462403359

You need some background music to go along with that, cause that was hard to watch................. :covereyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to share a short video I made with the felt squeegee, If u have some felt laying around or pickup at hobby store this will take less then 5 min to make. u can use a straight board basically anything that's not to heavy to handle that has a straight smooth surface or edge.

Yup. Saw this and thought of you. The mind can really do wonders sometimes, huh ??

attachment.php

Attachments

• tooth puller.jpg
    tooth puller.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 291

0igo

thanks man really helped. I wish I wouldn't have thrown away the cardboard that came with my mutoh when I bought it. it had a couple pieces just like yours