• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

drilling tile for stand offs

danno

I need advise. We have a client that would like stand offs for indoor signage in a restaurant. I have a 50% track record when drilling through tile, yes, i crack it. I would like recommendations on what y'all are currently using that would better my chances. No, I do not know what type of tile this is. Maybe y'all can give me advise on how to identify the tile for better results.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
If it's Ceramic, like on a kitchen floor, or most commercial restaurants use in their bathrooms, for easy cleaning, (That's in theory only if they actually clean them), use a diamond bite made for ceramic tile, drill slowly and keep a little water on it. Spray some out of a spray bottle. If it's plastic or PVC, go slow so it doesn't melt the hole as you drill.
If it is actually drywall or stucco, I have used toggle bolts, or the original bolt with the toggle bolt wing on the back, so the head on the bolt works properly if it gets a cap over it, if it's that type of stand off.
Many times, I go to the job site, look it over, then go get what I need.

Billct2

yep, if it's ceramic use the bits designed for ceramic, start small and move up and use a lubricant.

netsol

you can use a carbide percussion bit, rent a good quality hammer drill.
buy several bits, they can be sharpened when you feel a significant increase in the amount
of pressure needed to drill. i have drilled thousands of holes with my black & decker commercial hammer drill and i doubt i cracked or chipped 3 tiles in the last 40 years

netsol

do not buy your bits at harbor freight. good chep tools, terrible drill bits and blades

even home depot bits have gone to hell. they must getva cheper bit made to make the price point

danno

Thank y'all for the insight and experience. I will post results and some finished pics if we receive the job.

Tessellate

We commonly drill tile/porcelain when we need to install aluminum pin mount letters. High end restaurants don’t want a backer and when VHB won’t suffice we need to pin it. Level 5 porcelain can be a pain sometimes.

We on use Diamond whole saw bits. Starting them can be a pain but if you start on an angle the bit won’t walk - some kits come with a guide but it’s tough to see the mark using it. Using these bits you will not crack or chop tile. Also do NOT use a hammer feature with these bit. Match the drill RPM to the rated bit RPM.

A kit like this takes care of many fastener sizes.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bosch-HDG11-Diamond-Hole-Piece/dp/B003TO5F3Q

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Milwaukee diamond core bits from Home Depot work decent. You'll need water or a damp sponge to cool the bit and a wire to clean the debris out of it. Sometimes it's easier to start with the diamond bit, get through the glazing and finish with a glass and tile bit.