• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dry vs Wet Install & a thanks to iSign

iSign

We just tried this and although the vinyl went down easily using rapid tack, the adhesion seems to be extremely weak on coroplast. We'll keep an eye on it for a day, but after an hour, it's still very easy to lift.

you may have used more then you need, and you also may leave behind more then you need if not applying firm squeegee pressure, but it absolutely works. Done it for 2 decades.

marcsitkin

you may have used more then you need, and you also may leave behind more then you need if not applying firm squeegee pressure, but it absolutely works. Done it for 2 decades.

We'll give it another try. I'd rather put it on wet, much faster for me.

GypsyGraphics

We just tried this and although the vinyl went down easily using rapid tack, the adhesion seems to be extremely weak on coroplast. We'll keep an eye on it for a day, but after an hour, it's still very easy to lift.

Marc, I was thinking the same thing about the adhesion. But the next morning when the cleint picked up the job, they were perfect and probably were fine within a few hours.

marcsitkin

Marc, I was thinking the same thing about the adhesion. But the next morning when the cleint picked up the job, they were perfect and probably were fine within a few hours.

I suspect that may be the case with these as well. Even with the ac on, it's still humid here in S Florida, so that may be part of the problem. We don't deliver until Friday, and have plenty of time to redo if we must. Thanks for your feedback, I'll report the results in a day or so.

gnatt66

the only time i install wet every time is race car numbers with cut vinyl. i try to do it all dry nowadays esp with my cradle too. there's a vid on dale's site i did installing a digital print w/o lam or mask with my B.S. cradle tool on standard 4 mil coro....

however its a pretty much fool proof fix if there were issues with a dry install, just takes longer.

kudos to isign for helping..thats wicked cool. i love this place.

BobM

I'm a Rapid Tac believer. Drop the macho "I only dry install". Go to the Rapid Tac web site and watch how easy it is, especially with a reverse cut layout. Follow their step by step and get perfect results every time.

GypsyGraphics

kudos to isign for helping..thats wicked cool. i love this place.
DITTO... iSign is wicked cool... and i SO LOVE this place!!!

I don't get frustrated easily and rarely lose my cool, but that day, i really was ready to blow a gaskets. And as embarrassed as i was to admit i had no clue how to do a wet install, I know if iSign wasn't available, I could have posted here and had advice from many of you within minutes. This place and you guys.... are just cool like that!

But for iSign to take time out, in the middle of a busy work day, to shoot a video for a fellow S101er, was just ABOVE AND BEYOND! So i just had to publicly say THANK YOU, even though it meant tell you all what a dufus i am.

Subliminal Notation: By the time you're done reading this thread, you'll have forgotten the gg's a dufus part and just remember that iSign is one helluva guy.

Last edited:

marcsitkin

Wet Vs Dry mount to coroplast

Did a test yesterday, and the bottom line is that after an overnight drying period, the adhesion of the wet and the dry were pretty much the same on the coroplast. If you go the wet route, let the mounts rest for a while to avoid the adhesive vinyl letting go of the coroplast. It took 4 or 5 hours for a decent bond to develop.

I personally would use the wet mount approach, much faster. My mounting guy, who has better skills than me, will continue to use a dry mount approach.

We were testing on a small 24x16 yard sale sign job. We've ordered a big squeegee yard sale tool to speed up projects like this in the future. Anything much bigger, we'll run through our roll mount press (like a 4x8').

Island graphics- thanks for the video, helpful in so many ways.
GypsyGraphics- thanks for raising the issue. Perfect timing!

Marlene

9:11 am 3 hours into the day and this was just a nice post to see, somebody helping someone just because they could.

Doug has always been a big help to those who need it and is a grat guy

marcsitkin

Wanted to follow up with thanks to Roger from Rapidtac who had been following this thread and gave me a call to talk about the use of his product.

We discussed my prepping of the coroplast and he suggested that rather than the alcohol and Scott shop paper towels I try just the RapidTac and cheap kitchen towels to prep the surface. I did as he suggested, and had much faster adhesion. The vinyl went down quickly, with no bubbles, and within a short time had developed a strong bond.

Many thanks to all, and especially Roger for taking the time to call personally.