• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Ear Damage from Printers

Roto

Hi Guys,

I work in very close p[roximity to a couple of printers an HP 365 and a Roland XR.

These can be going for hours a day and I've noticed that my ears will be ringing at the end of the day.

Does anybody have any advice, information or recommendations on what is safe for your hearing?

TIA
Roto

Val47

..sorry, not helpful. in a mood, trying to be funny....

to make an attempt at actually being helpful... depending on your space, you could put up some sound absorbing barriers. either panels hanging from the ceiling, or partitions. padded with sound absorbent material.
...that would be coming from my musician past experience. :)

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Haven't used either of those machines but they must be quite loud to leave a ringing in the ears after a day of work. Our printer is rather quiet... the vacuum fan for the media is probably the loudest part of the machine, but is barely louder than normal conversation.
I'm a firm believer in prevention of hearing loss though, and will use ear plugs wherever necessary. Unfortunately this doesn't usually work too well in a workshop with people need to communicate. I'll follow this thread to see how others are dealing with it.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I know decibel level is a critical factor, but so is the type of noise....in terms of frequency (Hz). High frequencies (such as a machine squeal or whine) tend to mess with my ears more so than lower frequencies (humming). Although both are annoying.

I tried to find a correlation between piezo electric frequency (print heads) and hearing impairment, but nothing conclusive. See if you can find a frequency meter app for your phone and do some investigating.

In my (sandblasting) shop, I heavily favor ear muffs for everything from using a compressed air blowgun to working around the ambient noise of a cyclone dust collector.

Also, you need to be aware of ototoxicants. They're essentially chemicals (solvents, fumes, etc...) that contribute to hearing loss as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-induced_hearing_loss

https://www.hackensackaudiology.com/ototoxicity-hearing-loss/

JB

Last edited:

kanini

You could try out a good pair of in-ear headphones (bluetooth or corded) that connects to your mobile, I have a couple Sony ones and they filter out a lot of noise and you can also listen to (low volume if you want) music of your choice or something else. I know these aren't hearing protection (rated) but it does filter out a lot so if your noise levels don't require protection then that's a cheap and comfortable solution.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
<70 dBA is considered safe for 24/7. For adults, a total of 40 hours of weekly exposure to volume levels no higher than 80 dB is recommended.
I highly recommend to take some actions, be it ear plugs or something else. Move them around if possible or anything really.

Are you sure it comes from the printers? Just driving a car that's loud inside or listening music loudly can make your hearing go ringing.

Ringing ears are the signs of dying hearing sensors, either get some earplugs or move further away. High sound levels for prolonged time not only makes you tired but will cause permanent hearing loss.

netsol

..sorry, not helpful. in a mood, trying to be funny....

to make an attempt at actually being helpful... depending on your space, you could put up some sound absorbing barriers. either panels hanging from the ceiling, or partitions. padded with sound absorbent material.
...that would be coming from my musician past experience. :)

(1) i think you were a lot more fun in the first post

(2). there are all sorts of ear. protection that let you avoid hearing damage.
(no, i never used them, even when i went shooting)

MJ-507

Master of my domain.
Hi Guys,

I work in very close p[roximity to a couple of printers an HP 365 and a Roland XR.

These can be going for hours a day and I've noticed that my ears will be ringing at the end of the day.

Does anybody have any advice, information or recommendations on what is safe for your hearing?

TIA
Roto
I have a pair of Mpow Noise-Cancelling headphones that are amazing. They work very well w/ just music playing but, when I turn on the ANC, it's like being in the cone of silence. This is my third pair and the ones I have used all worked wonders and were very cost-effective (maybe ±$30 on Amazon). If you aren't a fan of headphones then my only other suggestion is to wear standard foam earplugs. I hate those things tho so it's headphones for this guy.

rjssigns

I have a pair of Mpow Noise-Cancelling headphones that are amazing. They work very well w/ just music playing but, when I turn on the ANC, it's like being in the cone of silence. This is my third pair and the ones I have used all worked wonders and were very cost-effective (maybe ±$30 on Amazon). If you aren't a fan of headphones then my only other suggestion is to wear standard foam earplugs. I hate those things tho so it's headphones for this guy.

Can you still hear normal conversation? I need to hear/answer student questions when the lab is in full production mode.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
If you are concerned about your hearing, why don't you just wear earplugs? It doesn't matter what everyone else says or thinks, they are your ears to protect as you see fit. FWIW, I don't see how headphones of any sort, playing music right against your ear can be good for you either.

rjssigns

If you are concerned about your hearing, why don't you just wear earplugs? It doesn't matter what everyone else says or thinks, they are your ears to protect as you see fit. FWIW, I don't see how headphones of any sort, playing music right against your ear can be good for you either.

3M Bluetooth over ear protection limits the volume. Funny to read the complaints of people that bought them then can't blast their music while wearing hearing protection.o_O

I just need noise canceling. Noise in the lab when everything is running wears on a person.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not gonna give my opinion, until I hear what Robert has to say about listening. Maybe you've all gone overboard with your listening lessons. For me, I just shut the door to my office and the loudest thing I hear.......... is air.

AMGearhart

You may also want to visit an audiologist and have your hearing checked. It might be that there is something else going on, and the equipment is worsening it.