• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Environmentally Friendly Print Media, with Adhesive... Please Recommend!

cinr

Hello! We have a customer that would like to promote an 'environmental campaign' that they are working on - however would not like to use vinyl for their stickers and signage... any recommendations for eco-friendly materials?

Ideally they would like everything (or most) to be recyclable as well - if possible...

Does anyone have experience with a print media like this?
We have an eco-solvent printer.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

cinr

paper, cardboard, wood.

I still don't understand why coroplastic isn't recyclable

Thank you!
Do you know of any brands that have adhesive paper/cardboard/wood that we could print directly on? We ideally need something we can turn into die-cut stickers, etc...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Orajet 3174 is a PVC free vinyl with water based adhesive. Not the most durable stuff in the world but it doesn't sound like you need it to last for too long.

signheremd

Orajet 3981 RapidAir Premium Digital Eco Print Film and then there is Oraguard 289F PVC-Free Laminate to put on it. Not cheap, but 10year outdoor life and suitable for wraps.

You can read a bit of it on Grimco's site, though they are out of stock right now: https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Product/O3981GRA-54

I'm sure other companies carry this and Orafol probably has more info on their site.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:banghead: There is no ink which is considered completely eco-friendly. Even Algae Ink (available with a water-based and soy-based carrier) while comes close to it, still contains chemicals that are harmful to you. Just not in the same quantities as many of the others, but they still are there. Therefore, they are considered safe, but it should really say..... SAFER.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thank you!
Do you know of any brands that have adhesive paper/cardboard/wood that we could print directly on? We ideally need something we can turn into die-cut stickers, etc...

Use regular tree pulp made paper. Use elmer's school grade glue and smear it on the back and use water soluble marker pens. They are 100% safe. In fact, your whole project is practically edible.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
:banghead: There is no ink which is considered completely eco-friendly. Even Algae Ink (available with a water-based and soy-based carrier) while comes close to it, still contains chemicals that are harmful to you. Just not in the same quantities as many of the others, but they still are there. Therefore, they are considered safe, but it should really say..... SAFER.
Actually... there is edible ink, if a person can eat it, the earth can eat it too, right? oh, and there is edible paper too.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'd go old school with one, straight from the Indians. You can use charcoal and ocher or other natural ingredients like bird excrement, plant leaves and fruits. Mix with animal fat and hot water to make vibrant paint like pictured below. The message could be written on the forehead, back or chest of the messenger.
1663190578396.png

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Yes, I do realize that. but really, what's a cake but a small temporary sign? If a lady with a cricut can letter cars from her kitchen - why not piece together some printed edible paper to save the environment?

ok, I'll stop now. :p

CanuckSigns

There are some paper stocks with adhesive backs, I know roland makes some, and a few others as well, not sure if the adhesive makes the paper non-recycleable or not.

Nothing in this industry is environmentally friendly, even if you find some recyclable media, the release liner won't be recyclable. We do printing for a company who does events for large companies, we will print thousands of square feet of vinyl, which they apply to a bunch of different materials, and it's used for a 3 day event, then thrown into the landfill, I'm not a tree hugging hippie, but even I find that outrageous.

Is this client willing to pay a premium for this magical decal material? The adhesive paper I've seen is about 3 times the cost of a standard 3 mil vinyl. My experience tells me everyone days they want to be eco friendly, as long as it doesn't cost any extra.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'm pretty left on environmental issues but this whole green eco-friendly shlt is nothing but a marketing gimmick for the feel good people. My post #9 was actually serious, I think they used to call it snarky here?
Your stickers and their efforts aren't changing anything, why waste the time? Just make something up because the end result will be exactly the same.