• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson GS600 vs. other printers

juantxo

Hi guys.

I actually have a valuejet 1314 (ecosolvent) and Canon IPF8300 (pigment), I go into a new plotter. The more important fact is to get the best realibility and printing quality possibles . I have a graphtec CE-5000 so I don't need cut (but it's a plus if the plotter is ok). No need the faster printer. I print vynyl, canvas, photo paper, banner, textil for t-shirts and roll-up material (PVC)

My (actual) selection is, in order of convenience:

-Epson GS6000 - the best price. The best printing quality?. Maybe not the most reliability, problems with ink duraction?

-Mimaki JV33-160 - the problem is solvent inks, I need an odorless plotter.

-Mimaki CJV30-160 - very much people speak me about their poor durability, problems with mother board, etc... don't know if this is true.

-HP L25500 - 60" - I think the print quality it's not the best, but there is different opinions about this. Cheap inks, but is the more expensive plotter of my list.

-Rolands VS-640 - There is a good deal, but I never liked roland (I think it's the poor print quality and the more overrated plotter). I don't want white and metallic inks.

I discard the Mutoh Valuejet 1624, because I think is a good printer, but a have one of this, and want something new.

thanks, and excuse for my poor english!

HulkSmash

Hi guys.

I actually have a valuejet 1314 (ecosolvent) and Canon IPF8300 (pigment), I go into a new plotter. The more important fact is to get the best realibility and printing quality possibles . I have a graphtec CE-5000 so I don't need cut (but it's a plus if the plotter is ok). No need the faster printer. I print vynyl, canvas, photo paper, banner, textil for t-shirts and roll-up material (PVC)

My (actual) selection is, in order of convenience:

-Epson GS6000 - the best price. The best printing quality?. Maybe not the most reliability, problems with ink duraction? Inks don't last. Not the best outdoor printer IMO.

-Mimaki JV33-160 - the problem is solvent inks, I need an odorless plotter. Great workhorse, Reliable, semi fast... stinks really bad.. but a great machine. quality is good as well.

-HP L25500 - 60" - I think the print quality it's not the best, but there is different opinions about this. Cheap inks, but is the more expensive plotter of my list. Quality is excellent. No trying time. No smell. Conforms better. Cheapest printer right now.

-Rolands VS-640 - There is a good deal, but I never liked roland (I think it's the poor print quality and the more overrated plotter). I don't want white and metallic inks. Not a Roland fan. Very overpriced IMO. But a good machine, with good prints.

I discard the Mutoh Valuejet 1624, because I think is a good printer, but a have one of this, and want something new. For some reason i can't bring myself to buy something that has the word value in it, i know, i know ignorant.

thanks, and excuse for my poor english!

good luck on your decision.

artbot

well if you want something "new" i'd use your graphtec cutter to make a gs6000 sticker and slap it on the front of your printer because it is really a mutoh.

bad joke...

i've seen the output from a l25500. i done know what you felt was poor about it. i thought it looked amazing. it is a "different" look from piezo output but not different than your ipf being thermal as well. also one thing to consider, there's been used gs6000 come on the market and they are not a popular used item (nontransferable warranty, etc). right now the jv33 and l25500 seems to be the ones with the the happiest owners.

Beyond 1

I have all Mutoh (including the gs6000). The gs6000 prints the best hands down.... But and this a big butt,, if your planning to print vehicle wraps or long term banners or signage... Don't bother! I use it for tradeshow and promo prints... Yes they have a brighter and more colorful gamut. The price the bright colors fade fast. I heard a bright yellow banner faded within 8 months. Now I know there's a lot of talk and I never had a problem yet. But why take the chance. Any long term outdoor stuff I print on my vakuejet. No problems in over 5 years.

In conclusion...gs6000 good for High end prints..., bad for long term!

Need for vehicle wraps get the Mutoh,mimaki or the hp....

Good luck!!

juantxo

thanks for all your replys!

About the HP L25500 (the winner at this moment for you) I have this issues:

-Prints only 60", not the 64" standard (this is a bad decision!)
-Here in Spain is the most expensive printer of the list, about $10.000 more than Epson (Epson has a good deal). I am willing to expend this money if really it deserve the inversion.
-What about the media?. Could I use common media for all the brands, not only HP?

-Speaking of quality, I only thought that its lower resolution (1.200 x 1.200) and big droplet size (12 pl) could be a problem. Also, I went to a show, and I saw subdued colors.

bye and thanks from Spain

signswi

Print quality on the L25500 is great for a CcMmYK machine and yes, you can use a wide variety of media. Basically anything 3M, Oracal, Optisolve, Intellimagic, Ultraflex, tons more. Some stuff we could do with our JV3 we can't on the L25500 but nothing crazy (can't run low temp heat transfer material...obviously, as it would melt...).

However, at least stateside, the HP medias are very competitively priced.

Dave Rowland

-Epson GS6000 - the best price. The best printing quality?. Maybe not the most reliability, problems with ink duraction? its quite a performer, it has two DX6-7 heads and maintenance is very low. Inks lifespan outside is lower, maybe Epson being "honest" about the life of the inks compared to other makes. Colour Gamut and quality exceptional for a good pace.

-Mimaki JV33-160 - the problem is solvent inks, I need an odorless plotter. One of the best sold printers out there, next to the Latex it is very impressive, my second choice of printer. Possibly one of the best unatendded printers out there.

-Mimaki CJV30-160 - very much people speak me about their poor durability, problems with mother board, etc... don't know if this is true.It is a JV33 without a cutter and media grips. Some say u need a few more grips for banner, but not everone. I prefer to have my cutter seperate.

-HP L25500 - 60" - I think the print quality it's not the best, but there is different opinions about this. Cheap inks, but is the more expensive plotter of my list.I have tested this against the a top of the range AGFA Anapurna m2050 which is profiled to Fogra standard, the colour match is fantastic and nearest you get. It is more silky the output but hardly any mainteance needed and output is ready to use (for lamination). Factor in replacing heads into your costings and it makes sense. We just ordered one!

-Rolands VS-640 - There is a good deal, but I never liked roland (I think it's the poor print quality and the more overrated plotter). I don't want white and metallic inks. Had a demo at Roland UK, tried to put the printer thru it's pases, the MD5 material pooled badly on the correct profile for Standard Vinyl, it took ages to print (6 col model), but the 4 col model is worth a look as we did a 4col vs 6col and I could only just see the difference. Machine seems to use a strange interweave system, this slows it down. The machine has One of the Epson GS6000 heads and just is a poor performer. Hi quality mode produces stunning results if u got a day to spare printing...

I discard the Mutoh Valuejet 1624, because I think is a good printer, but a have one of this, and want something new.
Mutoh are in bed with Epson, need I say more.

Dave Rowland

I think the new Seiko is interesting, i have yet to see it but the printers i listed have been tested, seen all of them and have already put them thru some of the paces.

For our enviroment, the Latex and the JV33 were top, the GS was a close 3rd and the VS was dropped due to speed in 6col.

juantxo

thanks people!

Really, I see that HP latex wins in american market! Here, in Spains, there are not so many printers installed.

At this moment, winner for me is Mimaki, but don't know if the JV33 or the CJV30!! But I think that each of Mimaki, HP and Epson (maybe this order?) would be a good election.

I continue reading all the forum and wait for your answers. Thanks!

jayhawksigns

We have a eight year old JV3, and it was a great printer. Do wish that the HP had the width of its solvent brothers, but we rarely need the extra width.

Jim Doggett

This is pretty astonishing, if you don't mind my saying. Unless you're buying a printer to do other tasks, i.e. T-shirts, I do not understand. Having a proven winner, in production environment, is exactly what I'd want to expand on if wanting a reliable addition to my production capability. "Yeah; it's a good one, but I want to try something new" seems a bit of folly. Novelty is great, but why take risks and bring a new learning curve into the process?

Mutoh are in bed with Epson, need I say more.

Nope. But allow me :^) Wave printing is the bomb. Mutoh rocketed past everyone with it. Quality is amazing, even higher production speeds. But it's patented, by Mutoh. So while Epson heads rock, and every winner in the market has them (Mutoh, Roland and Mimaki), when Epson wanted their own printer, they went to Mutoh. I think that speaks volumes. But I suspect that Epson wanted Wave Printing, which could only be had with a Mutoh joint development deal. I merely speculate, but it seems obvious to me.

FWIW

juantxo

I'm happy with my Mutoh, I loved his quality, but it only has two years, and since one years, it started to make banding. Now I'm going to check it, I want to continue printing on my mutoh, but if I will pay more than $22.000 for a new printer , I want some new features for my business, in terms of quality or productions:

-All the machines will give me extra width (now i print 1,37)

but:

-Mimaki print solvent: stronger inks.
-Mimaki CJV30 has cut: a little plus for some productions (yes, not all).
-Epson has more gamut, and cheaper inks.
-HP: is a new tecnology, print more materials ready to use.
-Roland.... i don't like roland, but it has the cutting option and white & metallic inks (well, i don't like this, but is an option).

I think all this plotters give me an extra in relation with my mutoh, but Valuejet 1624 doesn't.

At this time, I'm seriosly doubting for Mimaki and Epson. Waiting for your help!

Happyprinter

Epson 6000 GS, We've been very happy with ours and most importantly, so have our customers. As far as ink fade, I've heard a lot on this forum about problems but we have never had a problem with it.

Letterbox Mike

For what it's worth I'd give up my Epson for another JV33 in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd give my left leg just to get rid of the GS6000. Print quality is very good, color gamut is good but not significantly better than that of a well-profiled 4-color machine and certainly isn't worth double the ink cost. The Epson has an almost useless takeup reel, can't run long runs (full-rolls) unattended, if at all, absolutely positively cannot handle extra-heavy or extra-thick materials or materials that are overly sensitive to heat, and the green ink is known to cause head failures (had that head replaced under warranty within 6 months of purchase). Not to mention the ink durability is supposedly lacking.

Also, don't let anyone tell you the Epson isn't stinky. It is, maybe not as much as the JV33, but it's definitely got an odor.

I have no experience with the HP latex unit so I won't comment on it. We did demo a Roland VS-640 and were very underimpressed.

Our JV33 outperforms the Epson significantly. It's over twice as fast, print quality is excellent (you need a magnifying glass to really tell the difference from it's print to the Epson's, if I don't know which printer a job was run on, I cannot tell by looking at the print), ink cost is lower, it is rock-solid reliable, it runs and runs and runs, best takeup reel I've ever seen, and can be run overnight and unattended without worry. For the money it is really really good. It's old technology now, but it works and it's proven, and that is worth a lot.

juantxo

thanks insignia, I have read other post and I know you had bad luck with your epson, sorry!

But sure, all you say is true. At least the issue with the take up: I have a valuejet (same takeup) and know who you say.

I don't think JV33 is old technology, all this machines (except the HP latex) have a similar aged technology... ok, roland has the new inks but it doesn't work, and mutoh has the wave technology (cool). BUT I have a mutoh, and my machine makes banding. The wave prints with no banding when the printer and the printhead are in excellent conditions: the same as the other plotters... or did a new mimaki print with banding?

So what you recommend me: CJV30 or JV33? I want to put solvent inks, and it's no a problem to pay $2.500 (aprox) for the cutting option. I won't use it as my main cutter, cause I have a grapthec. But I don't want to pay more for a machine with less reliability, what do you think?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'd not bother with the CJV, go with the JV33. Less to worry about breaking and going wrong. The JV33 is a very, very, very well proven machine. I know many swear by the HP latex but those are still somewhat new and do have a few limitations and extra requirements like cannot print heat sensitive material like heat transfer, requires dual 240v power. Pretty much ALL of the other printers will have "some" odors. Yes - the Mimaki uses the strongest solvent and therefore has the strongest odors. With that strong odor comes the best ink durability though and it is easy enought to create an exhaust system to remove some of the oder from the air. Also while not very important the JV33 does have the option for both white and silver ink too.

Happyprinter

Insignia, just curious. What is the difference in ink cost GS6000 vs. JV-33? Also what material have you had problems with as far as extra heavy?

WDP

We have a VS-640 and can say its just as fast if not faster than our XC-540 III... It's just not as hardcore built looking like our Brother GT 782 and XC-540 which look like tanks... But so far so good. JMO