• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Estimate Software

kev3232

Does anyone use it and if so, has anyone had any issues with the software or dealing with the Company?
k

TheSnowman

I bought it...had it for the test time and still had the chance to return it, but was too busy to just sit down and learn it, didn't really pay any attention. When my time ran out, and I wanted to learn it, I was reminded that I have to buy all kinds of add on's to actually use the software.

I hate it when I buy stuff, then after I buy it they are like..."Ooohhh...you wanted to be able to quote a sign with this software...well, that's gonna cost you more money then." When I buy estimate software, I want it to come w/ everything to do the job, not get me to buy all kinds of add on's. I don't care what it costs, just package it to do the job.

I have the software, I never use it, and I'll never use it because I was so ticked that I bought estimate software, but can't create an estimate that's worth anything to me. Yes, it's my fault I didn't research it, but it's like us selling a customer a sign, and them coming to pick it up and we say..."Oh, you wanted letters on that...I didn't know that, you just said you wanted a sign, so I got you the board."

It's the story of my life and it irritates me to no end. Sorry for the rant, that was just a purchase that rubbed me wrong all the way through.

CanuckSigns

I've been using it for almost a year now, it's worth it's weight in gold for pricing "everyday" jobs. as for custom jobs, we use it as a reference point to start from. also the estimates come out looking much more professional now :)

petepaz

we have it and i used it a lot when we first got it but now i do everything in my head or we have an excel spread sheet my boss made up and we just put in the specs per job

njsigns

I use Estimate and I like it. I do wish it came with all the plug-ins (I think some editions do now) - I also keep the current Signcraft Pricing Guide on my desk, and sometimes I cross reference them, it's usually pretty close.

My experience with customer service has been top notch!

Gene

HaroldDesign

I really like using Estimate. Flexible, nice looking & accurate quotes, easy to get familiar with. It beats the hell out of the excel sheet I spent forever building over time.

cartoad

We have Activity and Estimate. For most day to day routine jobs I use Activity, but for the odd balls, I use Estimate, Blue Book, Signguide to determine the price. Our experience with Estimate has been good, and for the money a good price.

Since you are looking at pricing soft ware check out GXSignCo • GraphixCALC Pricing a merchant member here, and all around good guy.

iSign

after I buy it they are like..."Ooohhh...you wanted to be able to quote a sign with this software...well, that's gonna cost you more money then."

...I was so ticked that I bought estimate software, but can't create an estimate that's worth anything to me.

...it's like us selling a customer a sign, and them coming to pick it up and we say..."Oh, you wanted letters on that

actually it's more like you want to offer flat rate signs that all include design fees, 2-sided full color printing, 3M180C with cast laminate, plus installation... period. The whole enchilada, every time, for everyone... & all at a cost!

The plug-ins represent additional tools that not everyone can benefit from, so they can sell a lower priced solution for basic shops, and offer upgrade options as those shops choose there own new production capabilities.

I'm sure that others share your wish for everything in one box, but I don't consider it to be nearly as inappropriate of a tactic. As you say, it should have been clear in advance.

By the way, I bought it over 5 years ago... never used it yet. I think I should, but I just never do
dunno.gif

jimbug72

Try out the free version with the one free plugin that you think you'd use the most. It's pretty simple to set up. That way you can see for yourself if you think it might be worth the purchase of the additional plugins or upgrades to more the robust versions.

GraphxCalc is out there as well. You can try it out for 15 days free I think. Check them both out and see which if either of them or what you're after.

No experience with Activity POS and if they have any type of trial version.

Farmboy

We do signs and shirts. LOVE Estimate for signs. Tried their screen printing plug ins. Didn't care for them to much. We use PriceIt for shirts. Also LOVE that. I would never be without pricing software again!

trakers

We got a copy of Estimate with our cutter years ago. Installed it and never used it.

Recently decided to give it another try. Because of the convoluted registration/serial number they have on the software had to call the company to get it installed. They were helpful, but still a pain in my a** and a waste of my time. When will these companies learn things like that only hurt and upset their legit customers?

Anyway tried setting it up and got frustrated. Some of the terms used are non-sensical.

Our pricing is very straightforward so easy to figure on paper, but wanted to use the software to offer not only a more polished quote but also use as a prop when the customers are standing right there.

B Snyder

Yes, it's my fault I didn't research it...

So, if I understand this correctly, the complaints you have are actually your fault and not Estimate Software's, right?

I've been using version 1 from its inception up until v1.99. I looked into stepping up to 2.0 when I received the special offer for current owners of 1.xx. For me, the upgrade was of no benefit. There is nothing I need to do that I can't already do in v1.99.

For someone looking for a pricing, estimating and invoicing program I would highly recommend Estimate 2.0. I've always had nothing but positive results when I called Estimate and I'd have to assume that 2.0 is every bit as good as version 1.

TheSnowman

Some of them are. I still would be unhappy w/ it even if I had taken time to learn about it, and decide that it wasn't for me and return it. I don't like the fact that I only get one plugin to do stuff with, when to properly use it for signs, I needed more of them.

If you are willing to sink all of the additional money into the software after the initial purchase to make it work for you, I suppose it'd work. For me, it's just a shortcut on m desktop that never gets used. I'm probably just too impatient to sit down and learn it and spend more money than I already did, but others here are in the same boat and bought it, and haven't used it either. I guess the best bet is to get the trial, really really use it and research everything, then decide.

iSign

I still would be unhappy...

...I only get one plugin...

...to properly use it for signs, I needed more...

...sink all of the additional money... to make it work...

...I suppose it'd work...

...I'm probably just too impatient to sit down and learn it and spend more money..

...others here are in the same boat and bought it, and haven't used it either...

Kraig... not trying to make trouble here, but I gave another point of view above, & you are still going on like you bought a box of cookies with no cookies in it... or a radio with no speakers... having to sink "extra" money to use it.

They do sell stereo components, as you know, & that's another good analogy...

I pasted 6 negative digs, and every one points at your dissatisfaction, but not one is a fault of the product.

My 7th quote is because I may have bought it and not used it... but I'm not in the same boat, because I take all the credit (or blame) for not using mine, and I still think it was a wise investment... just like that dusty treadmill in the corner.

One fact that could alter my perspective is that estimate is not some big faceless company like SAi, Mark is a guy with software, and he's a guy who supports Signs101, & he's a guy I met before. I think he is a 100% reputable individual, with a business that is honest & a product that delivers on it's claims. It may not be for everybody, but as a merchant sponsoring this site, he deserves a fair shake when his product is being discussed.

Since you are looking at pricing soft ware check out GXSignCo • GraphixCALC Pricing a merchant member here, and all around good guy.

For the sake of accuracy, GXSignCo does not show up as a merchant in his profile today, but he is certainly an all around good guy still :wink:

TheSnowman

Yea Doug, you are right. Maybe this is just a touchy subject for me for some reason...and it brings out the ugly in me. I'm sure it's a fine program, and even better if you can sit down w/ someone who has used it before, and learn from them.

I do still have the software, I just feel like it's incomplete, so I never used it. It WAS way easier to understand for me than another that I looked at, I don't remember what the other was though. I'll bow out of the discussion...this topic just brought out the whiney baby in me I guess...sorry about that. I'll put on my big boy pants now.

Kevin-shopVOX

Estimate is probably one of the best Sign pricing POSs out there. Intuitive, user-friendly, WIP reports, job progress reports, financial analysis on a per job basis & it exports your data to quickbooks so it prevents double entry. All this with no monthly maintenance fees and great support. Try using CASper by EazyNet Solutions and you'll beg for Estimate.

Regardless of which one it is though, a POS system makes you money by accounting for your costs. If you are just selling by the square foot you are missing the boat. Price your jobs by what it costs you to buy & make them, the markup on that plus the profit desired on each job. A system that does that for you by you basically adding dimensions & add-ons is worth its wait in gold. Plus you look professional & customers are more likely to trust what the computer spits out versus your chicken scratch. Oh did I mention that anyone in your shop can provide consistent quotes to customers as well.

By the way, someone mentioned running Activity & Estimate at the same time. Why in the world would you be doing that?

cartoad

By the way, someone mentioned running Activity & Estimate at the same time. Why in the world would you be doing that?
That would be me, and the reason why is neither one does all that I want out of POS software. At one point we were having so much trouble trying to get Activity to work correctly, and lack of support we had we were seriously evaluating other software for our needs and purchased Estimate to change over to. Activity gives me reports and I have learned to customize it to our needs, but it is limited on some of the jobs where it is just substrate and some small quanities of paint and vinyl. This allows me to look at several resources for making competitive bids.