• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Extreme Makeover - The Contest!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Class ... may I have your attention please.

A design, shown below, has been selected for an extreme makeover. Here are the rules:

• The sign design is to be 38" tall x 48" wide and is two sided.
  • The finished sign includes installation in the same position as the existing sign but is not limited to the method as shown.
  • The design is to include all information shown on the existing sign.
  • Materials, colors, images, processes are all left up to you.
  • No permits are required.
  • The new sign, including removal of the old sign and installation of the new, is to have a maximum budget of $995.00.
  • No entries are to posted by the designer. All entries are to be submitted to me by email attachment within 2 weeks (midnight of Saturday, May 5, 2007).
  • You may submit as many entries as you like.
  • Entries not conforming to the specifications of the design will be disqualified.
  • Entries will be posted for voting after the closing time and date and will not include the name of the designer until after the completion of voting.
  • Prizes, to be announced, will be awarded with first place getting first choice etc. in the same way as we have awarded prizes in previous contests.
  • Entries will be accepted from Registered Members, Contributing Members, Merchant Members and Admins.
  • Entries, in JPG format, should be submitted to me by email attachment at fred@signs101.com.
  • This is a private contest for the entertainment and skill development of our members. Actual manufacturing of the winning design is not contemplated.

jims.jpg

Any Merchant Members interested in donating prizes, please contact me by PM or email.

Ken

I dunno Fred...
The original really does it for me... there's a lot of negative space that keeps the design clean.
Ken

neato

What type of business is Jims emporium? and what type of product does he sell?

Warren

Exactly, that's why I had a hard time voting for some of these. It's hard to come up with a design for just a name without actually seeing the business and building.

We need more info!

:)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Let's hope Jillbeans will give us some insight. My impression would be either antiques or a general store.

Craig Sjoquist

Hope ya do this some more fred this a great way to get involement, and those creative minds to work on something without preasure reality but preasure self and other creative minds, great way to bring out the best ideas within limitations cool
thank you n enjoy life

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
A few questions...

Is this a directional only or a primary ID sign?

Do they have a logo? If not, is the logo included in the price or is this only a layout? (this would price me out of the equation)

If it is only a layout, is there a logo or any architectural element or color(s) that we can relate to to design the sign around?

First thing that came to my mind was, In my area the budget is a little low...especially with the R&R and permitting (if any).

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
A few questions...

Is this a directional only or a primary ID sign?

Do they have a logo? If not, is the logo included in the price or is this only a layout? (this would price me out of the equation)

If it is only a layout, is there a logo or any architectural element or color(s) that we can relate to to design the sign around?

First thing that came to my mind was, In my area the budget is a little low...especially with the R&R and permitting (if any).

The sign speaks for itself.

• It is located in rural Pennsylvania where things aren't exactly bustling economically. You should suspend your California values for this exercise and just stay in a reasonable range.
  • As stated in the specs, no permitting is required. Partly because it is a replacement at size for an existing sign; partly because Jim's wife's sister is married to the closest thing to a building and zoning inspector for the county; and partly because Jim runs a nice poker game on Friday nights.
  • Jim has never given a lot of thought to his business image, so there is no existing logo or any requirement to develop one. Jim thinks legible would be cool. So follow your own instincts. Clipart, design elements or ornaments are all on the table or you can create from scratch. Focus on attractiveness and functionality. Any access to or surrendering of rights to the design are not included. So when Jim opens his 1,000th emporium in Tokyo, the winner of our contest may be in very nice shape financially. :rolleyes:
  • For our purposes the sign shall be considered both primary ID and directional.
  • There are no color specs or environmental considerations that are known until we hear from Jillbeans ... but I would say that they will be non-existent.
In short, our contest's scope doesn't go as far as you might in the real world. So do the best you can for the money as you would imagine if you lived and worked in the local market.

:beer Or as my Mrs. is often heard to say: Lighten up Fred! It's just a sign.

Jillbeans

Hi Folks!
Wow!
I'm shocked.
Almost as shocked as when I drove past and saw this sign for the first time.
I'm thrilled that Jim's was chosen, especially since it has started to peel bigtime.

A little about Jim's:

Jim's is a small time auction house/estate buyer/antique/junque and needful things shop.
They sell everything from old furniture to tools and fittings from demolished older homes and every kind of bric-a-brac known to mankind.
Jim likes to barter, and the client pretty much names their price.
I have bought things form him the same day as my older sister and she has gotten a better price on the same item!
I have bought an old trumpet as well as a hundred-year old hand-grained door from him.

No logo. No colors really. Apparently Jim likes red. One other thing that I'm not sure that I should mention is that his last name is Hopper. That makes me think of a big old grasshopper. Fred is right, it is in a very rural area, right on the end of one county, between a bar and a greenhouse that is never open. The bar has a pylon sign and the greenhouse has no sign, and you can't see Jim's building (which is white) from the road.

Love....Jill

PS
And Fred, you must be psychic...Jim used to be the chief of police in that township!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Maybe ??

We wanted to get in quickly.

It didn't need much other than a coat of paint and some sprucing up here and there. To save 'Cheap Jim' some money, we used the same material and posts over and did this out on the site with some cans of Krylon and stickers made on our sticker cutter. We copied a picture off the internet, since no one was looking, but we still charged him a little for our efforts.

Really, nothing much more was needed for 'Cheap Jim's' sign other then the deposit [which we waived] and will be reimbursed after the sign is dry. We used shelf liner to save some vinyl costs. We just put them on some old liner and cut away and used some 'Groundhog' wizz and it stuck REAL good. This sign should last at least another year or two as long as it's protected from the sun, rain, snow, wind, fog, vandals, flinging debris, birds, other jealous sign people and low flying crop dusters.

No animals [other than Mutt & Jeff pictured below], atmosphere, waterways [where we threw our discarded spray cans], soil, children or passing motorists were harmed in the retro-fitting of Jim's Emporium sign.

No permits were needed since we did this all at night. You can tell there wasn't any light when we did this sucker.

Vote for number one...:thankyou:

:thumb: Another well made sign for the old :unclesam:

Attachments

• jims emporium.jpg
    jims emporium.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 430

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Gino ... go sit in the corner for not following my rules. :signs101:

To avoid any confusion, I will again point out that all entries are to be submitted by email attachment to fred@signs101.com. The entries will be posted in two weeks and voting will be in the blind with all sign designer's names withheld until after the voting is complete.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:Oops:

Okay.... can I come out and play now ??

See, I make signs, I don't read them........... besides, I'm old and feeble.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
bluttr ... I removed your design from your post. Designs are to be submitted as attachments to fred@signs101.com. You are welcome to repost it but it will not be considered a valid entry if you do. This is a blind contest. Entries will be posted without anyone but me knowing whose design is whose.

DO NOT POST YOUR ENTRIES TO THIS THREAD.