• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

F*&% pos **%$&* $&*&

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
That is what I just said. Been working for about 40 minutes on a job and forgot to hit save. Illustrator crash, lost everything

2011 and Illustrator STILL does not autosave

signswi

There are scripts out there to prompt you to save at a set interval. Smooth move ex-lax (that's right I'm bringing that back).

Colin

Dang! Ya, it's become standard procedure to Save a file right away, and then frequently.

I find it maddening when I realize that I just typed a sentence with the Caps Lock on and have to re-type, so 40 minutes must hurt.

Breathe deep.

signswi

At least when you do something over again that you just lost for whatever reason you're usually much quicker and more efficient at it and often end up with a better product.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
and hitting save every few minutes. Here is one I did last night, without issue

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-12-02 at 11.28.30 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-12-02 at 11.28.30 AM.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 84

thewood

I find it maddening when I realize that I just typed a sentence with the Caps Lock on and have to re-type, so 40 minutes must hurt.

Doesn't Corel have a feature where you can select text and change it all to Caps, Lowercase, Sentence Case, Title Case, etc. without having to retype?

I never use AutoSave. I prefer to be in control of when and what is saved. I'm just in the habit of pressing CTRL+S occasionally.

Colin

Doesn't Corel have a feature where you can select text and change it all to Caps, Lowercase, Sentence Case, Title Case, etc. without having to retype?

Yes, but I guess I was referring to other things like emails & such.

petesign

I can't believe CS5.5 doesn't have some sort of auto-save feature built in either. Happens to me once in a while too :(

Doesn't seem like it would be a hard option to add, put in preferences and if it slows your computer down too much, turn it off...

Colin

Forgive my ignorance, but why would anyone want an autosave feature? What if you're working on an existing file, but you are just trying some ideas and don't really want it saved? Wouldn't it go ahead and save the changes you've made even if you don't want to?

2NinerNiner2

Forgive my ignorance, but why would anyone want an autosave feature? What if you're working on an existing file, but you are just trying some ideas and don't really want it saved? Wouldn't it go ahead and save the changes you've made even if you don't want to?

I always work on a copy of the source file ... with autosave "On" (in CDR) :)

jfiscus

Rap Master
I think you're thinking of more of a "temp" file that you can open after a crash. Like when InDesign crashes, once you restart it it has a pretty recent temporary file that it opens back up for you to either save or trash.

Mike F

In Corel, you specify a folder for auto-saves, and it saves a new copy of the file every time, so you're not actually overwriting the existing file.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I think you're thinking of more of a "temp" file that you can open after a crash. Like when InDesign crashes, once you restart it it has a pretty recent temporary file that it opens back up for you to either save or trash.

That would be ideal. Apparently the engineers at Adobe don't collaborate as much as they should

ddarlak

Go Bills!
don't you find that once this happens the 40 minutes you spent the first time somehow melts into say 30 minute the second time?

always feels like the second time around goes quicker....