• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fellers ordering anxiety

Scotchbrite

No comment
I like to email my rep. I find it cuts down on the number of annoying phone calls from them asking if I have any projects I need to order for if I'm bugging them for other things.

netsol

it annoys the hell out of me
either things have a price of they don't
years ago, we were still building & selling computers.
we purchased from a large intel distributor
i would call in and vincent would ask me: "what price did i give you last time for that?"
i would either hang up & call someone else or deduct 15% from the price
he would respond and say "no that couldn't have been it" and i would say "if you know the price lets not dance around the issue"
then i would hang up
i certainly understand multitier pricing & i was probably not doing enough to qualify for one of the best, but, no reason to have to play games every time

DL Signs

Never go against the family
I just looked up an odd color on Oracal 651. $129 on Grimco, $166 on Fellers.....
Only $116 for 24in x 50yd of 651 at USCutter. I've been checking there more and more lately, availability is kind of hit & miss, but when they do have what you need in stock it's usually cheaper than most places.
Can't believe Fellers charges $50 more for a roll of 651... Oh wait, yes I can :rolleyes:

ikarasu

i am not sure i am following you.
are you saying grimco does "by the yard"?
In canada they do by the yard for most of their common colors, but not everything - No idea about the US... US Grimco and Canadian Grimco are vastly different

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Only $116 for 24in x 50yd of 651 at USCutter. I've been checking there more and more lately, availability is kind of hit & miss, but when they do have what you need in stock it's usually cheaper than most places.
Can't believe Fellers charges $50 more for a roll of 651... Oh wait, yes I can :rolleyes:

They only do if you just accept the price listed on the website....... if you ask you sales rep what your price it, that is a different story. Pro tip - for Fellers, Grimco, Glantz, etc if you want the best price, you MUST find out who your sales rep is and contact them (email or phone) to find out what your actual price is. Yes it is a hassle and takes a little more time. If its something you order regularly they will set the price in your account for the website.

They all know that many smaller or new shops have no idea you can get better pricing than the default that is shown on the websites. In all fairness, that is smart business. That being said if you are a brand new customer and tiny, then you might not get a much better price than a higher volume customer might. There are also certain products that have minimum pricing (period) mandated by the manufacturer like certain 3M and Avery materials. On those I can be on Grimco or Fellers and the price is the exact same, to the penny.

netsol

They only do if you just accept the price listed on the website....... if you ask you sales rep what your price it, that is a different story. Pro tip - for Fellers, Grimco, Glantz, etc if you want the best price, you MUST find out who your sales rep is and contact them (email or phone) to find out what your actual price is. Yes it is a hassle and takes a little more time. If its something you order regularly they will set the price in your account for the website.

They all know that many smaller or new shops have no idea you can get better pricing than the default that is shown on the websites. In all fairness, that is smart business. That being said if you are a brand new customer and tiny, then you might not get a much better price than a higher volume customer might. There are also certain products that have minimum pricing (period) mandated by the manufacturer like certain 3M and Avery materials. On those I can be on Grimco or Fellers and the price is the exact same, to the penny.
"smart business" you say?

that's one way of looking at it.

i suppose picking someone's pocket in a crowd would also be good businesss

there is a reason grimco gets 1 order for every 25 i place with harbor or diversified or tyrelltech

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Nope... I see $130.99. I was comparing "Grass Green". When you add shipping that's $146.98.

Saturn

Aging Member
Some manufacturers have a lower threshhold to getting a custom batch of their material made than you might expect. Worth a call or email to your favorite brand to see what that is, even if they still have to sell it through a distributor to you.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
it annoys the hell out of me
either things have a price of they don't
years ago, we were still building & selling computers.
we purchased from a large intel distributor
i would call in and vincent would ask me: "what price did i give you last time for that?"
i would either hang up & call someone else or deduct 15% from the price
he would respond and say "no that couldn't have been it" and i would say "if you know the price lets not dance around the issue"
then i would hang up
i certainly understand multitier pricing & i was probably not doing enough to qualify for one of the best, but, no reason to have to play games every time
I agree 100% that pricing games are annoying. Having different pricing tiers is fine but having to haggle with each individual item? I just want to call and order something, not price shop every consumable item we purchase. Sherwin Williams does that to me, great pricing on things the rep quotes us but go buy something random without asking the price and it's like sitting on a pineapple.

netsol

I agree 100% that pricing games are annoying. Having different pricing tiers is fine but having to haggle with each individual item? I just want to call and order something, not price shop every consumable item we purchase. Sherwin Williams does that to me, great pricing on things the rep quotes us but go buy something random without asking the price and it's like sitting on a pineapple.
we have the same issue with sherwin williams.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
I stopped buying from Fellers long ago. They were just a giant PITA. I get all my large format supplies and vinyl from MAC Papers in Miami.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Used to buy a whole lot more from fellers, when they sold paint, silk screen supplies, and all kindsa other sign related things. Now, it's just like all the magazines anymore....... just big digital shopping sh!t.

They do good by me, but we buy much more substrates these days for the flatbed, so we don't need certain things anymore..... or at least not near as often.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Nope... I see $130.99. I was comparing "Grass Green". When you add shipping that's $146.98.
Ahhh... Didn't look at the colors to see if they were the same. Boss always tells me not to worry about shipping with them, must have something worked out with em'.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I buy most of my vinyl from Fellers but lately when I order just a couple yards of random colors they send me an email stating it's not in stock. I have had very good luck with RVinyl for small random orders. It does take a bit longer to receive than from Fellers. Most of what I buy is cast vinyl.

petepaz

been using fellers for like 22yrs and there have been a few hiccups here and there but overall happy with their service. agreed you definitely want to get a hold of your local rep and work through them when you can. they can help with internal issues and also with discounted pricing. the one thing that did bug is...i would email to check status of an order and i get an email back to call and speak to a rep for that info so i called my local sales rep and asked him about this and he straightened it out. why do i need to waste time going through their automated system and then wait on hold for anywhere from 5-15 minutes for an order status. as far as the availability issues i have been experiencing that with all my vendors not just fellers. that's why i have multiple vendors, if one doesn't have what i need then i have back up options

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
We use Fellers all the time. There are two warehouses here in Houston that makes it easy for us. We also have Grimco and GSG. I used to always use GSG but Fellers became more competitive in pricing with my rep so I actually use all three: Grimco, Gsg and Fellers.
We do a lot of color change custom car wraps so we use fellers for them. Back in 2021, there became an availability issue with vinyl in general. Fellers was hit pretty hard. We have now come to the point where we tell customers to select 2-3 choices. We call and check availability and location of the choices our customers select.

We have lost several sales because certain vinyls are placed on production hold. For instance, 3m diamond series is on production hold. This isn't a Fellers issue.
I know it took forever for us to get finishline. We were able to get designline often enough to where we didn't run out.
Now, mold and hold is the issue.

We had the same problem ordering from GSG and Grimco. Many times if we couldn't get vinyl from Fellers, we couldn't get it from GSG or Grimco either.

I guess I just figured that it was a manufacture problem more than a wholesale problem.

gnubler

Agree with Geneva above. I'm hesitant to put all blame on Fellers as a company when I know some factors are due to the supply chain and are hitting everyone. It's just the Fellers order process that's killing me. With my current order I realized after the fact that they entered my old shipping address and it can't be deleted through my online account. Another phone call, another 15 minutes gone.

signheremd

We buy a fair amount of vinyl from Fellers and I like that their website does actually tell you if it is in stock. We also buy from Harbor, Grimco and RVinyl and I shop Glantz (their stock and rep aren't top notch, though will admit after getting help from the ladies that answer the phone leaves me thinking my rep is the problem). Grimco and others seem to drop ship 3M - I see this a lot with translucent vinyl. Yes I call my rep to see if it is available, and he gives me a lead time. But since Covid, the number of folks that drop ship versus holding stock to ship has become more apparent. Some colors/vinyls just became very hard to get. So I use JDS and MBS as sources now too. My Grimco rep adjusted prices for us some time ago, and their site shows if the item is in stock and likely delivery time frame, so works well. Harbor delivers here everyday. Their service and price are very good. As far as prices, I shop around and buy from the vendor with the lowest price that is also in stock. Fellers sometimes is that vendor. I have noticed their by the foot inventory has been diminished and I expect that will continue - I expect the new owner to streamline to focus on the most profitable aspects of the business that take the least hand time (pretty much what they all do when trying to be more profitable). But it is what it is. I have been waiting a year for Apple Green from Avery. Most translucent colors have lead times to get. I don't expect any of this to change any time soon.

As far as the Fellers logo - it is clear that it is a successful design - just reading this thread you can tell everyone knows it. Sorry to hear his wife got the gold mine and he got the shaft...