• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fire truck roll-up door striping design/install

TSC1985

Hello, does anyone here have any experience designing or installing striping for a fire engine roll-up door. We have done plenty of these in the past where we would lay the layer(s) reflective down then hand-cut the the top and bottom of each crack to get the vinyl 1/32" off the edges to prevent lifting. After some nips on not-so-great paint we have abandoned that method. Tried to plotter cut the stipes but its almost impossible for each slat on the sets of doors to align perfectly over 20/25' of engine side.

Any tips/tricks/templates for cutting and alignment would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• rollup door cut.pdf
    321.1 KB · Views: 170

TSC1985

The edge of the slats for the reflective to sit on is very small and on some units there is a foam back liner. Ours in the past using this have curled up after a few uses. I have always seen the vinyl trimmed 1/16" short top/bottom of each slat.

rjssigns

To help with alignment roll each door up down and latch about 10 times. The slats will settle and find a "home". Learned that from my installer that does a lot of beer trucks and trailers. He learned it the hard way.;)

Billct2

We hand cut back. It's a PITA and time consuming. But usually the roll ups are anodized not painted.