• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

first time so be gentle with me

artbot

first off, you don't need a big printer to get started. most printer drivers have a tile feature. get a six pack of scotch tape a stack of 8.5 x 11 paper. number your prints because a banner can require about 100 sheets. though your experience is lacking, you can beat the pros on margin my not using expensive equipment.

10sacer

There are plenty of avenues on here for outsource options.

My best advice would be to slot 3 months and go as hard as you can selling to whomever you deem and send it all out to merchant members and mark it up whatever percent you need.

If at the end of those 3 months you haven't netted $15,000 - then go do something else because this isn't worth your time, headaches and sleep.

Do you know anything about selling, design, RIPs, computers, color management, ink, media, installation, business management, taxes, accounting, collections, CRM, marketing, branding, websites... if you have said "no" to more than 3 of these... then all I can say is "Good luck"

TwoNine

first off, you don't need a big printer to get started. most printer drivers have a tile feature. get a six pack of scotch tape a stack of 8.5 x 11 paper. number your prints because a banner can require about 100 sheets. though your experience is lacking, you can beat the pros on margin my not using expensive equipment.

That's what we do...Works well. :cool1:

MGraphics

ADTECHIA!!!!!!

Where's Adtechia?

He could help here.....

No doubt!!! that always makes for an intersting read...... I think wirenut has been scared away now.... Everyone is right... alot of money goes into making a sign shop operate!!!

xxaxx

If you do have the money and are still wanting to move forward with trying after reading all these (very intelligent) replies ... then my advice is to spend the cash on a really experienced sign shop employee that can help you through all the steep learning curves ... so many shops have gone under or downsized in this economy that you can probably find a skilled designer / production person easily and just focus on running the business.

TwoNine

but but but all we do is hit print and collect $$$!

Yeah. It's really easy. I just get all my art from a cool free source that doesn't have any copyright laws or anything...It's called....Uh...Google Images. It's great!

You just take those and throw em' into MS Word...Or Power Point, which is my favorite and I find works well and PRESTO! Slideshow and signage package...All right there.

Ctrl+P - Stack of 20# copy paper - Tape - Time......Magic.

I would say the best advice is two different things. Work at a local sign shop, get some experience under your belt to what you will have to deal with and look forward to. At minimum do a year, the more the better.

OR

Use your trade, market to the sign industry with the electrical aspect. I would love to have a licensed electrician to look at bids I could have, but don't have the knowledge for. You could get into the channel letters, box signs, there are many avenues.

But if you insist on opening your own shop, make sure to look at your competitors, make sure your not setting up shop down the block from someone who has been established for 20 years. Look into a lot of reading, and night classes for design and business management. There are a lot of different types of printers, computers, plotters, tools, laminators ect. Might be in your best interest to go to an upcoming expo to see what is out on the market so you have a jumping point for research.

- just my 2 cents

wirenut

thanks for the advice......going to atlantic city next weekend for the ISS show......not really looking to go into JUST sign business.......a lot of avenues with the new equipment. That's why I came on here to get educated on the equipment available.....I realize I have a lot to learn......by response of most of these guys, they feel threatened that I am going to come along and clean their clock and put them out of business......and I didn't insinuate that I could just click print and collect $$$.....didn't mean to any ways......thanks again!

TwoNine

Yeah. I'd just like to apologize, wirenut. Now that you've pointed that out - I think you may be on to something. I probably was just threatened that you were going to clean my clock. (Note to self: New business idea....Cleaning clocks.)

Anyway. Off to go to clockcleaning101.com and ask about the Clean-A-Clock xc5500...See if people out there are using those. See if maybe I need a larger clock cleaner.

Sorry again....Damn jealousy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey wire.... you might just let well enough alone and let everyone get their rocks off with you this late on a Friday afternoon. Join in the fun, but don't start pi$$ing on the fire.... we're just gettin' started. Your fuel is well deserved, but no one is listening to ya.

Wanna help yourself ?? Come back Monday. All these people have a memory like a sieve. You'll be an old-timer by Wednesday or so and then you can ridicule people. Besides, I wanna be nice to you in case you take business away from me..... you're pretty close.

Give me a call anytime you wanna stop by. Maybe we can work together. :thumb:

thanks for the advice......going to atlantic city next weekend for the ISS show......not really looking to go into JUST sign business.......a lot of avenues with the new equipment. That's why I came on here to get educated on the equipment available.....I realize I have a lot to learn......by response of most of these guys, they feel threatened that I am going to come along and clean their clock and put them out of business......and I didn't insinuate that I could just click print and collect $$$.....didn't mean to any ways......thanks again!

Ah forget it...Good Luck to you. Hope it all works out great.

Billct2

One of the hardest thing for a lot of shops to find is a reliable electrician who understands the sign trade. You would make a lot more money and quicker if you specialized using the knowledge you already have and in the meantime get yourself a design program and start out by outsourcing your printing needs. Or you could buy one of the many used printers that are coming on the market from people who leaped before they looked.

CheapVehicleWrap

......by response of most of these guys, they feel threatened that I am going to come along and clean their clock and put them out of business......and I didn't insinuate that I could just click print and collect $$$.....

Actually what they fear is...fear itself, ME!

The ever reproducing lowballing hack (ME) causes enough damage to the industry. One with a fist full of cash is all the worse (known as MOSHING).

If you'd like to learn what not to become (for everyone's good, including your own) look ME up.

signage

Wirenut welcome to the forums. You will need a better computer, design software, rip software, A cutter, laminator and various other items. Now after you get this printer if you do not use it daily you will be wasting ink by the printer running cleanings which is going to cost you. Now depending on how picky you or your customers are you are going to need to understand color-management, and this also requires software and additional equipment or money to hire someone to do it for you. If you do not know about designing (raster vs vector) you would be better off starting with design software and finding someone on here to outsource your printing to.

Hope this helps you out!