• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

first time vinyl wet application problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopper

for applying shadows etc you should apply dry with a clear application tape
you can see thru to line up the job, or use registation marks, also mylar films and metalic films do not like to get wet so if you are appling chrome or metalic you shouldnt use wet, but with a little practic you to can go dry and never look back//chopper

Techman

1 qt water, 2 drops of IVORY DISH SOAP. and DENATURED Alcohol added to suit conditions.....more in the winter, less in the summer etc etc etc........

Won't work on calandered vinyls... Waste of time, and life force..

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Apply dry!

Save all the hassles.....Apply it dry, use the center hinge method (Job Done)
......NEXT.....
I agree, Apply it dry. The end hinge method works great with the Big Squeegee. Job done faster with no bubbles. The Big Squeegee also pushes the air out from around lower layers of cut vinyl.

high impact

I agree! Learn how to apply dry and you'll never WANT to apply wet again. ONLY in extreme cold, AND then use Rapid Tac 2.

Good luck!

Roger Bailey

Chopper, you need to go to my free videos and watch the wet mylar on glass application at 35 degrees f.

Hate to break it to you here, would prefer you see it with your own eyes !

Roger:Cool 2:

chopper

Roger please do not take offence I am not disin' your product
but if I can apply it dry why would I need to do it wet?
//chopper

Roger Bailey

You made a statement that mylar can't be applied wet, I'm just tryin to bring the truth out, its only a 5 minute video to see to find out, can;t you spare 5 minutes ?

Roger:help:

gvgraphics

Roger, chopper never said it CAN'T be applied wet he said it doesn't like to get wet. And i have to agree with him. Yes your products do work good, but they are not a fix all or do everything like you say. I agree, if you can do it dry do it dry. Wet apps have their place and time but not all of the time. And yes I do use RT2 when it is cold out.

Roger Bailey

I simply don't get you or Chopper's reluctance to change your mind when someone offers proof, you would rather diss someone in a off subject way instead of takeing a couple minutes to learn something new?

The videos don't brain wash you , they just might teach you a different method that can help "at times".

You see anytime someone makes a statement like choppers or one saying it takes 20 minutes to pull the trans tape on wet applications, well, you are not speaking the facts, you have encountered a techenical problem with understanding the instructions, Then I am compeled to bring FACT to the conversation so the inexperienced don't overlook a beneficial process and product.

Now if your neighbor told 1/2 of all your potential customers that your vinyl signs will not last more then 6 months wouldn't you like to debate that statement ?

Knowing that your neighbor was wrong and that some of those potential customers may believe him you would probably show him proof to correct his misconception.

Roger

gvgraphics

Roger I have watched your videos and used your product. The simple FACTS are that not every vinyl likes to be applied wet. You can debate this all you want. After watching past posts by you it is always a debate. I am not willing to get into a debate over a liquid in a bottle. So lets just leave it at that.

iSign

Thanks to all. I've never expected this very impressive amount of responses. I'll follow all of your advice.

Thanks again.

Good luck salvuser, hopefully you have left & have not seen the all too familiar b!tchfest that became the reason for this very impressive amount of responses.

Vinyl application is really quite simple & I'm sure you will learn almost all you ever need to know in very short order... but then debates like this will rage on for years to come, because when the commercial slant begins to pollute the free exchange of ideas.. we all lose.

Those of us who value the free exchange of sharing signmaking tips & tricks based on actual signshop experience, should take advantage of the opportunity to contribute funds to support this great site.

When the voice of commercial self-interest tarnishes the attitude, or the accuracy of the information we seek.. the price of self supporting a less commercialized site may be much lower then the price of allowing sponsorship dollars buy us a "free" site, with no holds barred to that voice of commercial self-interest.

We are under a new policy to NOT detract from rightfully posted threads, initiated by our paying merchants to promote their products.

The rest of the time, when new sign folks come here for professional advice, (professional sign makers, not professional salesman) ...it's hard enough for them to try to "follow all of our advice" if a few folks offer a variety of suggestions... but if we have merchants starting endless debates each time... it really throws a wrench in something we've been doing a fine job of for half a decade before some of these merchants signed up to sell us their sign supplies.

Lets keep our priorities straight! Remember, this is signs101com ...
not 99¢signstuf.com

gvgraphics

Isign, I agree with you 100%. I just have to agree with chopper that some vinyls don't like wet app and we all know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.