• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fixed mounting on overhead curved iron

gnubler

Any suggestions on how to mount a sign to curved iron like this? As you can see the current sign has gotten beat to sh!t, the customer does not want another swinging sign. My mockup for the new sign is a routed oval shape so it can be raised higher, probably 1/2" thick MDO (signboard). What kind of hardware would you suggest?

20211114_124637.jpg

20211114_124632.jpg

gnubler

Here's another shot with it lightened a bit, makes it easier to see. I haven't been able to make it over there with a ladder yet to see how the threaded hooks are mounted into the railing, but wasn't planning on using the existing hardware at all.

20211114_124632.jpg

signbrad

There is nothing wrong with a hanging sign that swings. But you absolutely must not allow it to move sideways very much or it will beat itself up and even fall.
The problem is the chains—they are too long. The ideal is one link between eyebolts. This minimizes side motion. Or, another way is to use turnbuckles (that have closed eyes) between the two eye bolts. This allows leveling of the sign. The turnbuckle should be screwed in short or you will have the same problem as with chains. Also, S-hooks should always be completely closed, or use small clevis shackles. At the bracket you could even use swing set hardware bolted to the bracket, attaching the turn buckle directly to the swing set hardware, and then a clevis between the turn buckle and the sign's eye bolt. Use a clevis that can be locked with a cotter pin or a spring clip. A spring clip is like an industrial "bobby pin."

You can make the hanging sign rigid, but you must make sure your bracket is firmly anchored to the wall, otherwise wind movement can work loose the bracket where it attaches to the wall. Making the attachment rigid may also be a lot more complicated than it is worth.

I attach swinging signs all the time, but never with chains. Just a link, making sure the sure side movement is restricted.

Brad in Kansas City

gnubler

Thank you for an informative post, Brad. Some options to consider.

JB - would a bracket like this work? Running a threaded rod from the bracket up into the railing and bolting it in.

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 12.20.29 PM.png

Billct2

I agree with Brad, nothing wrong with swinging signs, but they need to have some weight and little to no chain. If they need some length I use a solid steel strap instead of chain. You could bolt a sign hanger thru the straight bottom piece, and thru the mdo and use steel strap to connect. If they want to spend more then a fabricated frame with fixed mounting to the steel would be great, but way more money.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 136

rjssigns

To keep movement down run a "stay" to the building. This will allow movement in a controlled manner. Run it from the bottom corner closest to the building. Cable works great since it's so thin.

gnubler

Thanks all for the ideas, I appreciate it! Looking into this today, I'll let you know what route I decide to take.