• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Formata

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've never heard of the font.... Formata. We have a customer that is using it quite widespread throughout their banners. It's rather good looking, but we don't have it. We looked into purchasing it and it costs over $350. That's way more than I can add into this job without it being noticed and the customer already has it, so they won't consider purchasing it. It was created in Quark and we told them to save it as outlines and they seemed stumped.

Is there another way to express this to a 'Quark' user ??
-OR-
Is there another name for this font ??
thanks.........
Gino

slappy

That's a hard one Gino.

Just tell them

The present invention provides an apparatus and method for converting font outlines to rasterized bit maps. The method accesses stored outline data representing the object in a first coordinate space and transforms the outline data to corresponding data representing the object in a second coordinate space, maintaining regional relationship information in both coordinate spaces, through a non-linear transformation expressed as a plurality of linear transformation matrices, to generate a bit map suitable for displaying the object. The present invention includes an apparatus to analyze Bezier curves and subdivide them as necessary until each portion is sufficiently flat to be approximated as a straight line, and then to calculate where line segments cross pixel midlines in order to fill the outline and generate the bit map. From another perspective, the method takes an outline of an object in a first coordinate space, scales the outline to a second coordinate space, identifies the coordinates of one or more select points in the second coordinate space and compares those coordinates with desired coordinates in the second coordinate space, calculates the difference in device space for the desired versus the actual coordinate in the second coordinate space, derives a plurality of piecewise linear transformation matrices to approximate a non-linear transformation, applies an appropriate linear transformation matrix to map essentially any point on the outline in the first coordinate space to corresponding coordinates in the second coordinate space, and fills and stores the outline of the object in a form suitable for display on a raster device.

lol... i found that when i googled "converting a font to outlines" ....it sounds good

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
See if they can export as a pdf. Then you may be able to convert the pdf into a usable/cuttable file). I posted a tutorial here a while back explaining how to take that pdf into Illustrator and not worry about font issues.

paul luszcz

Better yet, most, if not all, font licenses allow you to supply the font to a print provider in order to output your job. The print provider (you) is only allowed to use the font to print (cut) that job only and is not allowed to maintain a copy for future use.

Have them supply the font along with any and all artwork, etc. necessary to output the job.

WVB

Thanks for that link Eric, I missed that one..! It should really be added as a tutorial on here...

gvgraphics

Better yet, most, if not all, font licenses allow you to supply the font to a print provider in order to output your job. The print provider (you) is only allowed to use the font to print (cut) that job only and is not allowed to maintain a copy for future use.

Have them supply the font along with any and all artwork, etc. necessary to output the job.

I agree, as long as you only use it for this customer it is legal. Just ask them to provide it to you for all future work.

CrabbyOldGuy

Quarkers

Gino,
Have them export the Quark files as an EPS file. If they have Illustrator or another design package, they should be able to import and then convert the text to outlines. Otherwise, I agree, they should send you the font for use on their projects. We have several customers who do this.

GK

Berthold End User License Agreement use that link for any gray areas you may have questions about when using fonts from Berthold you don't have licensing for. A lot of foundries have prohibited fonts being packaged in Quark/InDesign/Acrobat formats and will only allow you to convert to outlines so you cannot extract the fonts. Not sure if Berthold does it, but the new Adobe Opentype collection, Elsner+Flake, Bitstream, URW++, Veer, Sudtipos have implemented this already. Just something to keep in mind.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, this was my bad.........

As I said earlier…. I told them to save the file as outlines and put it into an .eps format and that’s what confused them. I should’ve said ‘CONVERT’ them to outlines and save to an .eps format.

These ‘Wannabe’ designers…. can’t they do a thing on their own ??​
We now have the file the way they want it to appear. We just can’t do any of the typing or editing. We must point it out to them and they will make all the corrections. Isn’t life just ‘Peachy’ ??

Thanks for all of your help. There is some good information here. I would suggest making a ‘Post It’ out of it.
Gino

Rodi

Formata, comes in 2 flavors, BE (Adobe) and BQ (Berthold) Go with the BQ, it is far better. Berthold Types is very expensive. Berthold Types are not nice to deal with, and you cannot by the EULA use your customers font. As a matter of pragmatism, what you can do is get the fonts from the client on CD and keep them on the removable drive and load them to your system, then flush them out once the job is completed and satisfactory.
Formata is one of the few great fonts of the last century, and a worthwhile investsment, btw.

Rodi

Phils fonts sells BE and BQ Formata for a pretty decent price, 9 fonts between 225 and 275.

GK

I think if people actually read the licensing on the fonts they are using they would find that most of the fonts clearly state they cannot be traded/used/packed in .pdfs/quark etc. They just put the licensing info in such a place where no one thinks twice to even look, most of the time not even intentionally, they just didn't know such a thing existed...which is why LHF has went to extreme measures as to make their new OpenType library in .exes which only reside on the systems memory and not physically on the computer, a huge inconvenience to my work flow...but if you want to use their fonts...you will deal with it. On top of all of this, they even have extended licensing for type setters who convert to outlines for people (which is only legal when purchasing the extended license, if available) Lots of hidden stuff in those EULAs....

ChiknNutz

Not to hijack the thread, but another one I'm particularly fond of is Poppl-Laudatio. Even though I didn't need for any specific job, I liked it so much I just bought...well ALL of them in OpenType. I didn't (and still don't really) understand the difference between the BE and BQ, I just picked the BE for no good reason that I can think of.

GK

Not to hijack the thread, but another one I'm particularly fond of is Poppl-Laudatio. Even though I didn't need for any specific job, I liked it so much I just bought...well ALL of them in OpenType. I didn't (and still don't really) understand the difference between the BE and BQ, I just picked the BE for no good reason that I can think of.

Just a quick heads up for the future, the BQ versions will be directly from Berthold which might offer different weights, full character sets, and euro characters that the BE (Adobe) versions will not have in them. This is not always the case, but is usually the main difference for the variations of the fonts. Just somethin to keep in mind for the future.:thumb: