• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frame for backlit sign

Ripcord

I installed a backlight sign a couple of months ago into an existing frame, replacing the old sign. The customer just asked me if metal gutters were available to keep water from running down the face of the sign and discoloring it (their old one was discolored from many years of this and the new one is beginning to as well.)

Are the frames normally custom made or purchased as stock items? And if they're stock items, are rain gutters available to install on an existing frame?

Moze

By 'frames' do you mean the cabinet?

This is said out of concern:

Some of the posts on this forum make me wonder how people are building/modifying electrical signs when the terminology being used isn't even close to industry terminology.

I said this in another post I just made: I'm not trying to be a jerk, but are you licensed to work on electrical signs? Terminology is kind of one of the first things you learn in the sign business. So when I see people that don't know the terminology, it leaves me wondering how in the world they're qualified to build or modify electrical signage. Maybe you're in an area that doesn't require licensing or something?

Honest concerns and questions.

All of that being said and assuming you're qualified to do the work, do you have some pictures of the job so it's a little easier to understand what you're trying to do?

Ripcord

Hi, No I'm not licensed to work with electrical signs, but I didn't do anything in this case except make a new face to replace the existing one and installed it into the existing housing...Should I need a license to do this?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow, at least we have an honest one, here.

Here's the scoop. Let's say you're at the swimming pool and suddenly you get a headache.... for whatever reason. The sun, the bright lights making you squint or just a bad day. You go to the concession stand and ask if they can give you an aspirin or some other headache pill. No, they can't. They can't ask you questions or give you any advice on your condition. However, they can sell you some aspirin if it's on the shelf to be 'SOLD'. They cannot take something out of one of their purses or on the back counter. That's illegal. That's prescribing, which they don't have a license to do. However, if it's on the shelf for sale, they can sell it to you, but you hafta do all the work. Let's say, they don't have anything to sell you and you walk down the street to the pharmacy. Guess what, that counter girl cannot give you anything either. You can only buy what's on the shelf and ask them.... How Much ??

These electric codes are much the same. You can suggest to someone what to do, but you cannot administer any fixes or make-overs. It's technically, illegal.

Do people do it, much like yourself ?? Yep, you bet, they do and that's why the codes and laws are getting more and more strict..... because of people like you sticking their nose in where it shouldn't be and getting innocent people in trouble or worse..... hurt.

It might not apply to you on this one, but the odds are not in your favor. Why do you suppose so many big shops have so many laws and codes they hafta follow, but you little guys think you are exempt from the same conditions ??

You want to alter a cabinet and regardless what you call it or don't call it, you want to do something which contains electrical wires, ballasts, lamps and other things..... but have no clue as to the safety or where anything is, but you want to put a rain gutter on a sign and create holes, possible shorts or better yet, drill a hole through something. :banghead:

Had you at least asked about the ballasts being mounted on the top raceway or where would you turn this off if there's no disconnect or would I cut it at the main...... perhaps, you would've sounded concerned, but no, you're not at all concerned for the important parts of this venture.... are ya ??​

Moze

Hi, No I'm not licensed to work with electrical signs, but I didn't do anything in this case except make a new face to replace the existing one and installed it into the existing housing...Should I need a license to do this?

Every municipality is different, but chances are you need both a license and some pretty stout insurance. You need to go find that out from your municipality - not from a forum.

Ripcord

You want to alter a cabinet and regardless what you call it or don't call it, you want to do something which contains electrical wires, ballasts, lamps and other things..... but have no clue as to the safety or where anything is, but you want to put a rain gutter on a sign and create holes, possible shorts or better yet, drill a hole through something. :banghead:
No I don't. The owner of the sign wants to do it and he asked me if I knew where he might get such a thing. I told him I'd ask on the forum.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, nothing wrong with asking for someone else, but it did sound as if you were going to administer the rain guards, much the same way you said you did the faces...... as I, was referring to the work you had already performed. The gutter guards were just an added thought.

If he wants to stop rain from coming down the face, he should probably consider a second clear face which would stand out another inch or two. He'd have to retrofit the one he has to accommodate a second face.

As for putting some kinda rain gutter or whatever on it, what will prevent the rest of the rain from hitting the face ?? A gutter will only prevent a little bit of rain from running down the face. If he has rust spots, then the cabinet was made of the wrong materials. Totally different problem. Without more information.... or better yet, some pictures to see what's really happening, I'm afraid you're SOL.

nikdoobs

To answer your questions

Frames (cabinets, retainers, however you want to call them) are normally custom made and I've never heard of rain gutters for signs.
It would probably be pretty easy to fabricate a gutter if you have the right tools.
As far as an electricians license, I wouldn't worry about it. Use common sense and I'm sure you will be fine and no one will say anything.

Billct2

It's probably a shop made bent .040 aluminum cabinet. An aluminum angle/dripedge mounted on the top would fix it.
But they need to know what's in the box before they mount it. Gotta make sure they don't hit a wire or ballast.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
This is the reason I install a lot of signs crooked.
So the rain does not flow onto the face

Totally off topic but that is why I install mailbox posts leaning slightly towards the road, if the door is open and it rains it will not get the mail as wet.