• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Friday chit chat about being nice...

Stacey K

I like making signs
As much as all of us complain about our customers and people trying to get something for nothing, there are others that make up for them.

Point in case. My friend Stacey (known as Stacey #2 in town via my son and now that's just her name LOL) just called me about a young man on our senior football team. We only have 7 boys. All us moms got fatheads of the boys for tonights big homecoming game and we also got jerseys with our boys numbers and names on them (all except one mom who never shows for games or responds to anything) for our senior mom photo (hopefully she shows up, she said she would?). We feel so bad for the boy!!!

Anyway, Stacey #2 called me and asked me to please make loser mom a jersey and she will pay for it and asked if I would donate the fathead. In all our complaining about crappy customers (or maybe just me lol), we need to be reminded to forget about them, and do something nice to make up for that negativity in our heads. Shame on me...and probably most of us.

Stacey #2 reminded me today, so I'm reminding you...do something nice for someone today! The mean people you encountered this week will fade away in an instant!

And GO RAIDERS!

SignosaurusRex

So let me get this right... Bad Mom, that does not participate in her son's athletic aspirations ...gets a "Participation" recognition? That in itself is a whole new low!
Stacey #2 may have a big heart (which is truly commended as a rule of thumb) , but I'm quite sure it be sorely misguided in this instance. "Bad Mom's" son should be positively recognized for his endurance "sans support".

jochwat

Graphics Department
You might want to be prepared, and make a fathead of the missing mom as well. Probably be the only way to include her in the mom photo.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
So let me get this right... Bad Mom, that does not participate in her son's athletic aspirations ...gets a "Participation" recognition? That in itself is a whole new low!
Stacey #2 may have a big heart (which is truly commended as a rule of thumb) , but I'm quite sure it be sorely misguided in this instance. "Bad Mom's" son should be positively recognized for his endurance "sans support".
Sounds to me like they are really trying to support the kid. And the jersey for the uninvolved mom is like killing her with kindness. Shaming her with kindness in this case. Whatever her reasons for not being involved, she may not appreciate it.

Just a thought. I'm not saying that was the goal.

Johnny Best

I played Little League when I was young and mothers would bring cookies and drinks for the team after the games. I remember one mother asked me one time if I had a mother because she never saw my father or mother at any of my games. I sad "of course I had a mother, how do you think I was born?" That ended that conversation. I am glad they were not there at the games. The abuse my friends got from their parents about their mistakes made me realize I was the lucky one.
I think Stacey #2 is trying to make the absentee mother feel ashamed and trying to make it look like you #1 and #2 are better than her. You and #2 are basically mean and need to mind your own business.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I played Little League when I was young and mothers would bring cookies and drinks for the team after the games. I remember one mother asked me one time if I had a mother because she never saw my father or mother at any of my games. I sad "of course I had a mother, how do you think I was born?" That ended that conversation. I am glad they were not there at the games. The abuse my friends got from their parents about their mistakes made me realize I was the lucky one.
I think Stacey #2 is trying to make the absentee mother feel ashamed and trying to make it look like you #1 and #2 are better than her. You and #2 are basically mean and need to mind your own business.
Mine didn't either, we would all ride our bikes to the games and practice. I was happy with being independent, they did not like my friends either and always had something to say about them and their parents. It's hard to hide bad habits when your parents have a leash on you too.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Played playground league baseball. Parents don't go to that sh!t in the city, not even back then. Too many fights and brawls between the teams. Back in the 60's there was a lotta racial tension and it only got worse when the parents would show up. Played football too, but that was inner school league stuff. My dad would show up for that and that was chaperoned pretty well by the schools and the local police, so there weren't too many fights.

Can't say what you're doing about the other mother is right or wrong, not near enough facts and know nothing about the other lady, so it's hard to judge.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Doing something nice for someone is rather a Pollyannaesque goal and the results invariably end up being contrived. Far better to just not do anything cruel or humiliating to anyone each day.

rjssigns

I find the different takes on the discussion are worth the read. I've been around a long time and there are no definitive solutions to these types of issues.
Unless it directly affects me and mine I don't get involved. Too many crazies out there and you just might anger the wrong person.

mim

0_o
My dad passed away when I was a kid and my mom had to miss most of my sporting events because of my younger siblings and never was involved with the other parents because of grief. I wished she was there at the time but I understand in retrospect. Give moms a break. And it's good to see some niceness anyway :)

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
...do something nice for someone today! The mean people you encountered this week will fade away in an instant!
You can never go wrong by doing something nice for someone, regardless of how it's perceived. You know your motives, and that's all that matters.

We've established a our own little ministry of "quietly" placing small (beautifully engraved) granite temporary markers on the graves of children and adults whose families are of meager means. Over the years, we've had a couple of families track us down to ask "why", and I always say "....because I care". And the fact that it's done anonymously further proves the we really aren't interested in selling them anything.

It kinda throws people when something like that happens....showing genuine kindness with no ulterior motives. But that's what we need more of these days.

And you never really know...."loser mom" probably has a story that's never been told...and perhaps your act of kindness will build a bridge to help her as well.

Kudos to Stacey and Stacey 2.

JB

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
My dad passed away when I was a kid and my mom had to miss most of my sporting events because of my younger siblings and never was involved with the other parents because of grief. I wished she was there at the time but I understand in retrospect. Give moms a break. And it's good to see some niceness anyway :)
Yes. This right here /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

JB

Stacey K

I like making signs
The mother showed up. She had a purple jersey on so Stacey #2 didn't bother giving her that one - problem averted.

The fathead just went in the student section along with the other ones and then the kids gave them to the players at the end of the night.

Small schools suck for things like this because there's such small numbers. There's only 7 seniors and he is left out - doesn't THAT seem mean? My son and another boy drive him back and forth for "pasta nights" or he wouldn't be able to go because his mom won't drive him. All summer he gets rides from the other kids for weight-lifting, practice, etc. If it weren't for the kids taking turns he wouldn't be in football.

Is it right or wrong? I'm not sure but the other kids on the team have gone above and beyond for years without being told to do so. THAT is what is GOOD about a small school! Maybe us moms take it too far.