• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

From Layering to Printed? Gloss Vinyl Printer Questions

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
You can achieve the matte black and gloss black, raised print, with Mimaki UCJV300 but if you laminate the prints, I think you would lose the two tone effect.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
"
What happens when you apply a standard industry car wrapping media, printed on the Canon Colorado 1650 to a car… and you laminate the side panels, but leave the hood portion unlaminated, and then subject it to 6 months and 5 days of punishing Chicago weather? We put it to the test and the results are in!

After the test period, we brought the car in for some measurement testing to compare the color shift between the panels and hood. We measured this in Delta-E (dE), and what we found was astonishing. The Delta-E in the black was .56 and in the orange was only 1.04. Industry standard for highest acceptable color shift is typically 2.0, but our score shows minimal noticeable shift in color and well within the tolerances and industry standards of measurement.

The car remained outdoors in the harsh northwest Indiana and Chicagoland weather. It was driven to over 350 job/construction sites and traveled over 12,000 miles. The car was subjected to snow, slush, and harsh temperatures, and passed through 24 car washes over the 189-day test period. Despiste all of this, the wrap had little to no discernible difference to the human eye.
"

You say this, as if this is your own shop doing the testing here. Cold weather, snow and 12,000 miles is nothing, especially as far north as you are. Things don't start shifting or falling apart til you go through hot summer sun for months on end. A little over 6 months, I would certainly hope there wouldn't be any changes in anything over one winter. Do you think the results would be the same in florida, arizona or some other southern states ??

That testimonial is junk. :thumb:

BigNate

going way back to my offset printing days, we would do this on sheet fed vinyl and poly decals... you can print either matte or gloss spot varnish where ever you want - just another ink and plate. We have had work that was flood varnished with a matte finish and then spot varnished with gloss - the matte has a surface texture that makes the matte effect, as such it is easier for things to stick to matte than to gloss. This was in the '90s, I am not sure who would do it today.... though there are some pretty good digital spot varnish machines for large sheet fed that seem to use a UV resin varnish - I've been to a few demos from our local independent Canon dealers (but I do not believe they were Canon machines.)

gabagoo

You can print black on black using the Gerber Edge, which I have done over the years. Of course size is the biggest issue, but you don't need to laminate

victor bogdanov

You say this, as if this is your own shop doing the testing here. Cold weather, snow and 12,000 miles is nothing, especially as far north as you are. Things don't start shifting or falling apart til you go through hot summer sun for months on end. A little over 6 months, I would certainly hope there wouldn't be any changes in anything over one winter. Do you think the results would be the same in florida, arizona or some other southern states ??

That testimonial is junk. :thumb:
I have prints on Oracal 651 with Roland Eco Sol Max 2 inks that look brand new on my car 3+ years in unlaminated in TX so I find it believable that prints can last a few years without lam.

i put a unlaminated print with roland TR2 inks on my dumpster that gets so hot you can't touch it and it looks brand new 1.5 years in.... Printed on some cheap calendared vinyl.

This reminds me to print something on the Colorado and stick it on the dumpster

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have prints on Oracal 651 with Roland Eco Sol Max 2 inks that look brand new on my car 3+ years in unlaminated in TX so I find it believable that prints can last a few years without lam.

i put a unlaminated print with roland TR2 inks on my dumpster that gets so hot you can't touch it and it looks brand new 1.5 years in.... Printed on some cheap calendared vinyl.

This reminds me to print something on the Colorado and stick it on the dumpster

Okay, I take it comprehension isn't your strong suit, huh ?? I said, THAT movie you posted did not represent you or your shop as you tried to make it appear. Also, a 6 month test in the north is nothing to be making claims about.

What's the big deal or claim about not using laminated prints, anyway ??

victor bogdanov

Okay, I take it comprehension isn't your strong suit, huh ?? I said, THAT movie you posted did not represent you or your shop as you tried to make it appear. Also, a 6 month test in the north is nothing to be making claims about.

What's the big deal or claim about not using laminated prints, anyway ??
I copied and pasted the video description between quotes " " . how is that trying to make it appear like it was my shop?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's no need going back & forth with the likes of you. Ya just backpedal and make sh!t up as ya go, so you're a worthless opponent.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Black on black is best achieved by silk screen. Always has been. You can coax it out of this and that high end printer but then you have to deal with lamination which tends to negate the effect. It's a stunt, not a technique for production. Unfortunately silk screen for one offs is somewhat less than cost effective. Unless you're doing it yourself and you have the time. Which leaves layering vinyl as you have been doing, a royal pain in the a$$.