• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Full coverage frosting, large window

Optic

Hey guys,

I'm at a loss. We just completed a massive office install of 24", 18" and 6" stripes and we have one piece left to go - the boardroom windows.

We have two windows that require full coverage - 49.5" by 91" in size.

If course there's a nice 2" deep frame around that window. We're using the Avery frosting for this.
For the life of me (after two botched attempts) I can't get these on the window. Applying wet by trying to pull the premask off is causing us to stretch the material where we're holding onto it. I am sure I have a facepalm moment when one of you answers this, but being so busy right now I just can't think my way through this. Help and ideas are appreciated!

Cheers!

Last edited:

the graphics co

why use premask if it is a solid piece? It would be easier and alleviate your problem if you didn't have to remove anything when you get it on the window. Maybe i am missing something?

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 83
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 78

Optic

While I appreciate the advice to install wet, I've tried installing wet and am looking for a deeper level of advice. Regarding those nice panels in the office, there is no frame around those windows and they're not full coverage. I could install what I see in those photos no problem. We've already installed three full rolls worth of frosting in this office. It's the big windows with the full coverage that are stumping me.

Drip Dry

While I appreciate the advice to install wet, I've tried installing wet and am looking for a deeper level of advice. Regarding those nice panels in the office, there is no frame around those windows and they're not full coverage. I could install what I see in those photos no problem. We've already installed three full rolls worth of frosting in this office. It's the big windows with the full coverage that are stumping me.

That's the deepest you need. Install wet without mask. Use a large rubber window squeegee from the local hardware store to squeegee out the bubbles. Works great. Don't over think it.

S'N'S

I have done deep recessed windows (last ones were 5" deep) and just measured to make sure the windows were square and precut the vinyl to size. Use plenty of app fluid so you can slide it around and felt squeegee down starting from the top. Found that an extra set of hands were handy as the wet vinyl wanted to slide down the window all the time...... NO mask...

cdiesel

It sounds to me like you're able to apply it okay, but are having problems removing the premask?

Do like they're saying above, don't mask it!

Optic

I haven't tried to premask this, I've been attempting the install wet. getting the backing paper off and getting the 8' high panel to the window without creasing it or stretching it where we're holding onto it is the issue. Once this is wet and on the window I'm sure this won't be a problem.

lexsigns

Did similar- used rapid tac, no mask and need 2 people( or more) I had on large table, pulled backing off upsidedown sprayed THEN we picked up to apply.
Oh start in middle to squeegee(top center all down )then do each side equally. Frosted is very forgiving wet, dries perfect usually...

MGraphics

You must have Mark breathing down you neck on this one now!!!Dont know if I can offer advice to a the company that bid under us :) I have installed many large pannels and did the same as everyone suggested 2 people no premask and lots of juice... good luck... hey look on the bright side it is a nice day out and its friday!!!

peavey123

If you ever have etched vinyl that you need to mask because of contour cuts. Apply the vinyl, let it sit for a bit then soak the pre-mask. It seems to weaken the mask's adhesive and comes off without peeling up the graphic. It might come off in strips but in the end, if you have intricate graphics it makes the job easier IMHO.