• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Full page ad for Computerized Cutters, Inc. in Signs of the Times

player

And pay a employee to run it.

Of course. But the product would be consistent. There would be a number of employees
who could and would run it, so I would not be at the mercy of 1 talented (and usually grumpy) tradesman.

When we made channel letters a number of years ago (in another sign life) it was no easy task, and to find people that could make them
properly was not easy.

The backs can be cut on a CNC perfectly, but the sides are the trick. It is all hand done, measured, bent, measured etc. The sides go out
of square and then the top is not an exact copy of the bottom.

As the letters are made wonky, the faces cannot be cut to the pattern, but must be cut
to the distorted top profile of the channel letter, which again makes everything harder, less consistent, less perfect...

That machine takes the hardest part out of the job, and brings making really nice, square, consistent letters to dedicated employees.

TimToad

Wrapping a car with vinyl from a printer instead of spending a week airbrushing, hand painting and clear coating?

I'll reiterate, I'm not opposed to the technology or automation of the process involved, its the tone and insulting thrust of the ad I have issues with. Plenty of other similar companies have ads that profess to and market their machine's accuracy, efficiency, merits and "made in america" theme without throwing negative stereotypes and generalizations around in such a blatant way.

Marlene

well at least it doesn't have a half clad woman laying across it like some of the printer ads. the ad is poorly done and I agree it is in bad taste

artbot

the real real real thing going on is this. if you follow research economists, they all come up with the same prediction. in 20 years, everything will be automated. hell, there's even software that will write an article automatically. there is no limit to what can be done by robotics and software. if you are 60, just enjoy your life doing what you are doing. but if you are a 30 year old craftsman of any kind. run for your life. your hands and experience will be needed as much as a horse was in the early 1900's. the argument back then was "use a motor. at least it doesn't poop and need to eat and take breaks". well the same argument is being made here for a craftsman. it may be offensive. but it is what it is. machines that used to cost $100,000, in the future, will cost $10,000 and the ROI will shift.

economists main worry is that there will be billions more people than jobs in 20 years.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not seeing it the way you do, but then, maybe there are some hiddens factors here.

However, aren't you the one who just said recently, you had to get rid of your employee because he was doing all the things this article claims ?? Granted, it might not be too much talking or too many smoke breaks, but you gave the guy extra money, paid vacations and he didn't get the jobs finished you requested of him.... correct ?? You were overly nice and it bit you in the @ss.

I'm not one for paying someone to milk his/her job, but this is starting to sound odd to me. Whether someone is young, older or not particularly fitted to the job..... what is wrong with replacing something that isn't working ??

You don't like the wording ?? It's offensive ?? If I had a nickel for everytime someone said something wrong, off-color or in appropriate, I could probably retire with no cares in the world. I can sorta see what you're saying about this particular article, but to the degree and the issue you are having with it, seems more like there is some underlying problem which hasn't surfaced, yet.

You're about the ONLY person here, seeing it in the context you are expressing. Perhaps, it's not as bad as you perceive and might want to reevaluate your spin on things. :wink:

Marlene

I'm not seeing it the way you do, but then, maybe there are some hiddens factors here.

However, aren't you the one who just said recently, you had to get rid of your employee because he was doing all the things this article claims ?? Granted, it might not be too much talking or too many smoke breaks, but you gave the guy extra money, paid vacations and he didn't get the jobs finished you requested of him.... correct ?? You were overly nice and it bit you in the @ss.

I'm not one for paying someone to milk his/her job, but this is starting to sound odd to me. Whether someone is young, older or not particularly fitted to the job..... what is wrong with replacing something that isn't working ??

You don't like the wording ?? It's offensive ?? If I had a nickel for everytime someone said something wrong, off-color or in appropriate, I could probably retire with no cares in the world. I can sorta see what you're saying about this particular article, but to the degree and the issue you are having with it, seems more like there is some underlying problem which hasn't surfaced, yet.

You're about the ONLY person here, seeing it in the context you are expressing. Perhaps, it's not as bad as you perceive and might want to reevaluate your spin on things. :wink:

gee thanks for ignoring me as he is not the only one who is seeing it in the context and I have no underlying issues that haven't surface yet. the ad sucks, plain and simple. comparing it to a slacker isn't fair as most employees are not. the double American flag with the made in 'Merica shows a lack of any real talent in setting up the ad. a real novice repeats a logo or image like that as they thin it balances out a layout.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
gee thanks for ignoring me as he is not the only one who is seeing it in the context and I have no underlying issues that haven't surface yet. the ad sucks, plain and simple. comparing it to a slacker isn't fair as most employees are not. the double American flag with the made in 'Merica shows a lack of any real talent in setting up the ad. a real novice repeats a logo or image like that as they thin it balances out a layout.

Take a chill pill. :wink: If ya look at the times, we [you and I]were posting at the same time, so NO, I didn't see you. I was not ignoring you, but if you think the same way as he does, so be it. It doesn't change my mind that while I also said I can see his point, I don't see to the degree he's complaining about, now if you are complaining.... yours either. I've seen much worse on this site, in magazines and lotsa other places. To me, had it had the half dressed woman or a tank top, that just sickens me. Now, he/you would have something worth complaining about. This, not so much. I can understand some wanting to maybe rewrite it or point something out, but the horrible distaste the OP is showing doesn't seem at all warranted, not in the least.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Looking at the ad again... especially with the American flag all over it...

It might have been a more positive message to give a skilled American
worker the ability to produce 5 times more than knocking American employees...
your still gonna need someone to run the thing, and finish the letters cuz
they ain't gonna finish themselves.

AND PLEASE... FIND A DESIGNER!!!!

TimToad

the real real real thing going on is this. if you follow research economists, they all come up with the same prediction. in 20 years, everything will be automated. hell, there's even software that will write an article automatically. there is no limit to what can be done by robotics and software. if you are 60, just enjoy your life doing what you are doing. but if you are a 30 year old craftsman of any kind. run for your life. your hands and experience will be needed as much as a horse was in the early 1900's. the argument back then was "use a motor. at least it doesn't poop and need to eat and take breaks". well the same argument is being made here for a craftsman. it may be offensive. but it is what it is. machines that used to cost $100,000, in the future, will cost $10,000 and the ROI will shift.

economists main worry is that there will be billions more people than jobs in 20 years.

There already are billions more people on earth than enough jobs to feed and house everyone. It isn't technological advances that are making people sick, killing the environment, being pitted against each other or machines, etc. its a level of greed that is unsustainable. Look at the high tech, highly automated, highly skilled humans, very content and happy countries like Denmark, Norway, Germany, etc. These folks have their priorities straight. Enjoy your work, be reasonably profitable at it but not at the expense of happiness, health and social stability.

TimToad

Actually, I'm not the only person here who finds the ads use of generalizations and negative stereotypes wrong. I don't know why you feel the need to exaggerate other poster's intent or attach your perception of a "hidden factor" in order to reinforce your points, but its tiresome and only muddies the water. It also makes me think less of a person who does it all the time.

My own situation isn't relevant and even having experienced it more than once in my business owning life, I still won't embrace stereotypes and generalizations about groups of people, in this case signmakers. I'm of the mind that, doing so is the stuff cowards and dull, shallow thinkers are made of.

I don't do channel letters and I'm not that offended or upset. I just wanted to know what others thought of the ad.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There already are billions more people on earth than enough jobs to feed and house everyone. It isn't technological advances that are making people sick, killing the environment, being pitted against each other or machines, etc. its a level of greed that is unsustainable. Look at the high tech, highly automated, highly skilled humans, very content and happy countries like Denmark, Norway, Germany, etc. These folks have their priorities straight. Enjoy your work, be reasonably profitable at it but not at the expense of happiness, health and social stability.

It was just on the news today.... the very countries you mentioned and others, base their speeding laws [driving around] upon your earnings. According to what you make is how your fine is calculated. Sometimes your age creeps into the equation, too. That doesn't sound very fair, huh ??

I just don't understand all the hoopla over this silly little ad. There are far worse ads out there, but this one bothers.... as I count and don't forget anyone..... 2 people.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I'm not the only person here who finds the ads use of generalizations and negative stereotypes wrong.
So, we now count 2

I don't know why you feel the need to exaggerate other poster's intent or attach your perception of a "hidden factor" in order to reinforce your points, but its tiresome and only muddies the water.
There is no water muddied in asking someone a question. What was exaggerated ??

I was It also makes me think less of a person who does it all the time.
Now, who's getting personal and stereotyping ??

My own situation isn't relevant and even having experienced it more than once in my business owning life,
If you commit the exact same judgement you condemn, why do you not apply ??

I still won't embrace stereotypes and generalizations about groups of people, in this case signmakers. I'm of the mind that, doing so is the stuff cowards and dull, shallow thinkers are made of.
No one embraces stereotyping or generalizations when degrading, but sometimes it's a MUST.

I don't do channel letters and I'm not that offended or upset. I just wanted to know what others thought of the ad.

I just don't see the level of your negativity towards this puny dumb ad. Sure, it could've been written better, but so what ?? No one is/was hurt in this ad, except the people it threatens. If you're a slacker, then be careful, or you'll be called out. Regardless of how you interpret this one ad..... there are so many just like it and whether they're positive or negative, it's going to happen.

I guess you got your opinions and not many share your same concern. We're all in the same industry and have many war stories, but I don't think this ad is gonna make or break anything.

The things I see is..... the author/company has a good product. It will replace and do a lot of things a normal person can't do. More than likely, it will save someone lotsa money over a short period of time. None of the statements are false, just not worded kindly, but if they were worded kindly, it wouldn't have the same impact. Again, as I say so many times, these articles, threads, storylines and posts are all based upon emotions. Without it, no one ever listens.

I know I brought up about you getting rid of an employee whom you said had the same qualities this article spoke about.... and found that odd, but how many times have you and others made mention of the crabby old farts, the old timers or anything remotely like that ?? Stereotyping is stereotyping, so if you don't like it, I would think you wouldn't use it from time to time. In all honesty, stereotyping is based upon things someone doesn't know, so they just put a few facts together. It bound to hurt someone, huh ??

artbot

the worst thing about hiring a human is that.... they are a human. bleh.

a cold tireless programmable machine is a much better shop mate.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
the worst thing about hiring a human is that.... they are a human. bleh.

a cold tireless programmable machine is a much better shop mate.

Every once in a while I catch myself patting my printer near the keypad - "Good boy, you booted up today".......
:omg:

wayne k
guam usa

henry67

I'm curious how others react to the ad by Computerized Cutters, Inc. for their channel letter bending machine and the fairly insulting description of the "human" worker they are comparing their machine to.

Aside from the derogatory stereotypes being used, their overt use of the Made in America message really kills me.

The gist of the ad is that we humans are lazy, overpaid, inconsistent, cost too much and expect to be paid for overtime, benefits, etc. Its also a negative that we have to eat from time to time, talk ( I guess only discussions about the next order are not frowned upon ), smoke ( even though less than 20% still smoke ), are disloyal and our quality is so bad we can't produce two of the same thing without flaws.

I can't begin to imagine their views on those working in the industry who might still belong to the sheet metal workers union.
Accu bend ACE+ good machnie?