• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting in over my head

hinddee29

Hello my name is Shane. I'm a Union Commercial Painter of 8 years.
It's pretty fun job for the most part, but not my true calling I don't think.
I'm some what of an Artist in Pencil and Airbrush. More with the Airbrush now days. I'm wanting to get into the automotive side of it, but after going a little I'm having second thoughts. To many bad cems. to deal with. So I've been kicking the idea of computer graphics for autos.
So that is why I'm here. I figure I can combine all of the things I like to do into this and save some brain cells as well.
A little more about me. I have severed 6 years in the U.S. Army as a Tank
Crewmen mostly Driver and Gunner. Way to much fun. Found out when I was going to deploy for Iraq I had something wrong with my ankle so I couldn't go. As much as I was glad I was sad and mad. All those years wasted and I had to watch everyone leave while I stayed behind. I think that was the hardest part.
I have a wife I'm putting through school and 2 great kids. 1 boy and 1 girl.
Well I think that's it. That seems to be my life right now.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Welcome hinddee29! Great place to be.
I hope you will be able to make the transition to computer graphics. What programs do you work in? If you are looking to do comparable graphics to airbrushing you'll want to learn photoshop (if you haven't already) - which is no small undertaking - but I've seen people do some awesome work in it who really don't know the program too well. Talent will shine through.

MAB SIGNS

Appreciate your service for our country even if you weren't deployed.You'll find this is a great site for gaining knowledge and information of the sign/graphics business. Welcome to signs101.

Mark

Replicator

Hello: and ~
welcome.png

hinddee29

Thanks for the welcome. Far as programs. None. I've messed with Photoshop a bit, but that's it.
I'm looking for a plotter right now, but not really sure what I want right now. I'm thinking I would at least start out with a 30" plotter.
I'm looking at one on ebay and might post the link to get info on it
to see if it's a good starter.

Shane

Bigdawg

Just Me
If you are going to do cut vinyl graphics, you'll need to get familiar with Corel, Illustrator or Flexi (being the high-end). Photoshop doesn't generate the vector art needed for cutting.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The kind of work you end up doing will dictate what your equipment lineup should be. You would do well to delay the hardware and focus on learning the software. Photoshop will be your best tool for designing for print ... but not for cutting. That requires a vector drawing and editing application like CorelDRAW or Adobe Illustrator.

Learn to create the files and you will find there are hundreds of people around that will be happy to print and/or cut it for you. If your designs and file creations are good, then you will find a market for your work without investing big bucks initially for printers, cutters and materials. That savings is far greater than the small amount of profit you will give up by letting someone else handle the production end of it.

Tim N

Listen to Fred! Buy a copy of photoshop ans corel X3 and learn the programs before you consider purchasing any equipment. I wish I had been given the same advise.

Ken

Yep, I gotta say..Fred nailed it there.
BTW..welcome to S101.
As far as buying equipment on ebay..I would recommend buying from a local supplier..someone who you can fall back on for advice/technical problems.
The support factor will be of great assistance to you in such a new endeavour..of course there's always S101..but we don't all have the answers to each piece of hardware/software.
Check out the whole site though..there is much to be learned..take it in bite-size servings
Kind regards...Ken

mladams7259

If you must buy equipment, DONT GET THE CHEAP CHINESE STUFF! Get a brand name machine like Roland, Graphtec, IOLine, Summa, Gerber etc.. Dont start off with bad equipment!

OldPaint

you like airbrush?????? check out indocil arts web page...he does helmets.
also rod tickle, hes a aussie....the man is awesome with an airbrush. MIKE LAVELEE www.killerpaint.com
be glad you didnt go........also sice you were held back because of your ankle.........get you butt to the nearest VA HOSPITAL and make sure you are in the system. you will probably "service connected" which i am...and you can get most of your medical needs taken care of there and possably a partial disability payment.

Jillbeans

If you can draw, you don't need a plotter.
Lots of guys that I know who do airbrush cut their own masking from transfer tape!
It's much easier to learn than Corel.
Love....Jill

hinddee29

Thanks for all the help. I'm really glad I've posted here first.
OldPaint VA says nothing they can do about it. Go figure.
Yes LaVelle is a master at what he does for sure.
Jill thanks. I've done that, but it can take hours to do. Then
you have the chance to cut into the auto. Not good by any
standards. One of the real reasons for wanting a plotter to cut
out all my masking.

Shane

Cadmn

shane you will actually save time by hand cutting over messing with the computer to cut as your freedom is in the ability to design & change as you go steve at showpaint.com has nice AB board setup & denise over there is quite talented. the chems are nasty but they're masks & such to help in those areas. if you can create with airbrush & paint go for it startup costs are minimal with AB & one shot or HOK

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First of all... Thank you for serving our country. I salute you.
Second... welcome to:signs101: from PA.
Third, why in the world did you pick this line of business ?? LOL

Only kidding. Write down on paper all of the things you can see yourself doing in this industry from what you know of it so far. Then write down all the things you think you need in this industry. See what these cost, but not from e-bay, and put together a wish list and start getting the things you absolutely need to get started. Next, put together a business plan. If you have any money left after step one and two are combined… you’re basically in the sign business by most peoples’ expectations.

You’ll then need to find clients. Make some samples and go to friends, relatives and local business people and hand them a business card and work should start to come in if your work looks decent.

Last, but most important... stay with this site since it’s the best site ever... for sign information.

Again, thank you for your services… :unclesam:

Good Luck...
Gino

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from Oklahoma!

:Welcome: to :signs101:
Another good source for information is at printingdigital.net. A link is a banner ad at the bottom of this page. Good luck!