• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Glueing acrylic letters to wood

ahgrafx

Snarky schmarky.............................. Why call us out, when you're the one cutting corners ?? No one..... and I mean no one paints bare wood with a rattlecan. Anyway, not a professional. Take that as more snarkiness if ya like, but sometimes the truth just hurts. I had no idea you were a hobbyist. This is a forum for sign professionals or people learning to be sign makers. Ya wanna schmuck through it and do things bassackwards, be my guest. You're using cross grain wood which is also not a good idea for adhesion. You do it how you've been doing it and don't look for logical answers from people who are not hacks.
You're a peice of work man, I feel sorry for you keyboard warriors bullying people on the internet to make yourself feel better. I've been working in the sign industry for over 20yrs on the graphic design and file setup side with clients a lot bigger than what you've experienced I'm sure. The intention at the beginning was to just install the letters to the wood but I'm still learning to use my laser and I messed up so I painted it to cover it up. I've been on this site for years and never treated like this, I'm not cutting any corners whatsoever. You're the one that's not professional talking to me the way you are.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

ahgrafx

the VHB tape not only holds til the lexel/silicone cures, but it also creates a gap for a proper bead of the adhesive.
So am I putting just peices of tape and filling gaps in between the tape with the lexel?

ahgrafx

Local artist here in Spokane. I looked at your website, and noticed some similarities in your work, I thought maybe you guys have crossed paths. :)
Thanks for the name I checked him out, always cool to connect with other artists in the somewhat same area.

Billct2

I have a top notch graffiti artist working here and we have done more that a few projects with the despised rattle cans. A lot of times Montana or other high end brands. I also found a place in New Jersey that will color match anything and put it in a rattle can. Used those for an exterior acrylic letter project with a lot of weird pastel colors, it held up for many years just fine. And thats not to mention how many brackets and frames got spray with rusto. We have even done a full graff mural with spray cans. That all being said, this isn't even outside so it is really simple. I suggested the cheap double stick foam tape because it will stick to rougher surfaces and hold tight till the lexel cures. You put enough small tabs to hold the letter and a few dabs of the lexel in between. For an art project like that you could probably use a glue gun.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're a peice of work man, I feel sorry for you keyboard warriors bullying people on the internet to make yourself feel better. I've been working in the sign industry for over 20yrs on the graphic design and file setup side with clients a lot bigger than what you've experienced I'm sure. The intention at the beginning was to just install the letters to the wood but I'm still learning to use my laser and I messed up so I painted it to cover it up. I've been on this site for years and never treated like this, I'm not cutting any corners whatsoever. You're the one that's not professional talking to me the way you are.

Aw man........ now ya hurt my feelings you keyboard wizard. You just enjoy beating up on people, don't ya ?? With your amazing artistic abilities, I guess we should've known how great you are, but since we don't, ya told us instead. I'm just floored at your talent and knowledge. Please forgive my ignorance. :thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

ahgrafx

I'll never forget to properly tell someone how to use glue and tape together. Had a logo fall and guys were sent out with silicone and vhb. They bring it back and said nothing stuck. They coated the panel in silicone, the back of the logo in all vhb tape, and guess what, it didn't stick. And my heart sank at the $75 worth of vhb tape they just turned into more labor hours...
Lol I'm not that stupid that's silly

Some double-sided tape and dollops of glue here and there. Can you drill through them and use some pins to be sure they hold?

MikePro

added tip, cause i'm here.... if you're dealing with thin-stroke lettering, lay a strip of vhb on some non-stick/vinyl backing & peel the tape's liner off as well. slice it up into 1/8"-1/4" tabs and plunk em on as you see fit. for the adhesive, I then fill the corner of a sandwich bag & clip the corner, and apply delicately like cake icing. way more control than a caulk-gun.