• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question gluing sintra to a wooden frame

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is anything painted ??
Inside or outside ??
Thickness of sintra ??
What kinda wooden framework ??
Size/weight of each ??
What is frame being attached to ??
Are you doing it or end-user ??

I guess you're doing it, since you don't know what to do.

johnnysigns

Other's may have different input, but I think we'd lean towards silicone so there's so room for flexibility in the expansion/contraction of the sign face.

netsol

1" x 2" wooden frame around 18" x 60" 3mm sintra
primed and painted with behr dynasty flat black latex.
we can of course leave the surface the sintra will contact unpainted, or unprimed and just scuff with 220 grit if that would give better adhesion

we also have the same sort of thing, my guy calls a floater frame. this frame has an absurd amount of milling and only about a 5mm contact area around perimeter of the sintra touching the wood.
sintra weighs about 3.5 lb
the wood about the same

just wondering if there was a better adhesive than silicone

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your best bet is a two-part epoxy. Rough it up, smear it on, clamp and leave in place for about 24 hours. I'll do 48 hours myself.

John Miller

You have two materials with different expansion and contraction coefficients. You'll need to use an adhesive that will expand & contract, Lexel is a good one. I'd use a few #16 or 18 gauge brads with a finishing head also. Set the heads beneath the surface and fill, you will not have a problem.

netsol

My guy, made a sample & glued them together with wood glue
Not surprisingly, it fell apart and landed on his foot...
I tried to explain to him that you don't choose adhesive based on ONE OF THE MATERIALS you are joining

The whole thing weighs 6 pounds, but, it will undoubtedly land on someone like that horrid old woman who sued macdonalds for $6M (who knew coffee was supposed to be hot?) when she spilled her coffee.

I am just trying to avoid the situation where, Gino, not a real sign guy, & boudica laugh at me every time they have to apply a federally mandated warning sign to their sintra panels.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I tried to explain to him that you don't choose adhesive based on ONE OF THE MATERIALS you are joining

The whole thing weighs 6 pounds, but, it will undoubtedly land on someone like that horrid old woman who sued macdonalds for $6M (who knew coffee was supposed to be hot?) when she spilled her coffee.

I am just trying to avoid the situation where, Gino, not a real sign guy, & boudica laugh at me every time they have to apply a federally mandated warning sign to their sintra panels.
If that's your goal, then stop pretending to know what you're doing and ask for help before you approach a project. We're all here to help, but only someone who wants/needs help and willing to learn and expand their horizons. Not some schmuck who just wants a quick fix.

If ya need help, try to ask a request with some sensibility......not an open ended quiz show like you started out with. List your facts conditions and needed end-results.

So, here's the real question. You now said it's gonna be inside. How is this thing gonna be hung, mounted or whatever ??
Why are you using a wooden frame with sintra ?? That in it's self..... is pretty stupid.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"

What did I do?! I didn't even say anything.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Lexel for that. Drill some holes in the wood (and in the panel if you can; at least gouge it up as much as possible).

Even better, screws or a retainer system.

netsol

If that's your goal, then stop pretending to know what you're doing and ask for help before you approach a project. We're all here to help, but only someone who wants/needs help and willing to learn and expand their horizons. Not some schmuck who just wants a quick fix.

If ya need help, try to ask a request with some sensibility......not an open ended quiz show like you started out with. List your facts conditions and needed end-results.

So, here's the real question. You now said it's gonna be inside. How is this thing gonna be hung, mounted or whatever ??
Why are you using a wooden frame with sintra ?? That in it's self..... is pretty stupid.
Wooden frame because my first 5 choices for metal from frameworks are backordered.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
I hate to derail the thread, but whenever I see this, it makes me sad. The coffee in question was at 180 degrees (thats nearly boiling for those that don't know freedom units), causing 3rd degree burns over her legs, and basically melted her labia shut and nearly killed her. McDonald's knew this was a very real possibility but did nothing to prevent it. The lady originally only sued for $20k to cover her medical cost, McDonalds offered her $800, she took them to court and a judge awarded her the 3mil. McDonalds paid, but only if she kept quiet about the case, and then they went on to basically smear the case to the point of absurdity. Just sayin.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

gluing sintra to a wooden frame​

any suggestion?
rtv? silicone?

not sure what the correct adhesive would be

That was your original question. A simpleton question, not a simple question. You left so much sh!t out. That kinda question doesn't even deserve a well thought out answer, cause there ain't nothing there to think about. We hadda pull it out of you. Nothing against you. Most everyone does it, but why so vague and unhelpful ??

That question is like going into a restaurant and saying I want some food. Any suggestions ??
Waffles ?? Eggs??

Not sure what would be good ??