• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question gluing sintra to a wooden frame

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We have one customer (coffee roaster) that has a larger "board" made out of .030, clips are adheared to that and the actual menus are printed on .020 and hang by the clips. We also do hand held menus for a high end restaurant on .030. they hold up great. We round the corners so no one gets injured.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just think about it. All of these prints are either flatbed printed or roll to roll, but they still get laminated. Therefore, sintra is no better than any other substrate. Why not use the better suited all around substrate ??

I've been doing in-store signs for decades. Been using gator for as long as I can remember.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you are not wedded to using wood for the frame why not make the frame out of the Sintra or a similar PVC material? Home Depot has 3/4 PVC exterior house trim that is easy to work. It has smooth, ready-to-paint finished faces. You can screw it together or weld it with HH-66 and use the 66 to attach the panels to the frame. Once set they will not come apart. More costly than wood but should last forever inside - no termites - easier to paint - won't swell up if the AC breaks down and the humidity goes up.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
If you are not wedded to using wood for the frame why not make the frame out of the Sintra or a similar PVC material? Home Depot has 3/4 PVC exterior house trim that is easy to work. It has smooth, ready-to-paint finished faces. You can screw it together or weld it with HH-66 and use the 66 to attach the panels to the frame. Once set they will not come apart. More costly than wood but should last forever inside - no termites - easier to paint - won't swell up if the AC breaks down and the humidity goes up.
I'll stop at home depot and grab a few pieces

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'll stop at home depot and grab a few pieces
plinko.jpg

This is all Home Depot PVC except for the clear acrylic and the wooden dowels.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
I hate to derail the thread, but whenever I see this, it makes me sad. The coffee in question was at 180 degrees (thats nearly boiling for those that don't know freedom units), causing 3rd degree burns over her legs, and basically melted her labia shut and nearly killed her. McDonald's knew this was a very real possibility but did nothing to prevent it. The lady originally only sued for $20k to cover her medical cost, McDonalds offered her $800, she took them to court and a judge awarded her the 3mil. McDonalds paid, but only if she kept quiet about the case, and then they went on to basically smear the case to the point of absurdity. Just sayin.

Adam, THE TRUTH is that in the end macdonalds AND THE REST OF THE WORLD still serves coffee at exactly the same temperature. The "remedy" was the warning, printed on the cups. Hot coffee by definition is served hot and 180 degrees is 32 degrees below boiling. Not very near boiling at all. Actually midpoint between boiling and tepid

Obviously a difference of worldview. I have made a living with hot and sharp things all my life and have no more need to be protected from a cup of coffee than i do from burning my mouth on a slice of pizza.

Sorry, man, we will just never agree on this.