• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Got heat!!!!!

OldPaint

not a really important thing in the south but HEATING THE SHOP, sometimes is needed. i kept lookin for a good small furnace, and ran across this one on craigslist for $60. it was set up for natural gas, and i wasgona run it as such but, seems getting 60 feet of pipe from the house to the shop is a lot more then what i want to do in dec. i called the company that makes the heater and got a PROPANE CHANGEOVER KIT for $30. put in the new orifices on the burner rail and pilot, got proper fitting to go from 1/2" pipe to 3/8" flare so i could attach the propane tank/regulator to it. wired the 110v with a plug on it and set up a simple thermostat. then the moment of truth, with it pluged in, gas on, i got the pilot lit, set the thermo at 55(shop was bout 40) i heard a CLICK..........and a POOF!!! it fired all burners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! heated bout 3-4 minutes and the fan kicked on. i left it running and am in the house, the shop is still standing)))))))) went out a bit ago and its nice in there!!!!! its sitting on a couple sawhorse on a metal frame, its REZNOR 30K BTU. 2nd is side, once i put it in place i will run a 3" chimney outdoors. #3, the little white box is the thermostat.

Attachments

• pottery 022.jpg
    pottery 022.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 106
  • pottery 024.jpg
    pottery 024.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 96
  • pottery 025s.jpg
    pottery 025s.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 96

JR's

nice Oldpaint, I went with electric it doesn't work like N gas. On the cement floor my feet hurt thy get so cold.

cool.

JR

klemgraphics

nice Oldpaint, I went with electric it doesn't work like N gas. On the cement floor my feet hurt thy get so cold.

cool.

JR

Times like these I couldn't live without my radiant heated floors. Single digits outside and 68 in the shop.

American & Proud

Nice find OldPaint.

I bought my house 19 years ago because the garage was insulated and heated with a NG wall unit forced air.

I had to replace it 2 years ago and bought a Beacon Morris Brut 75, 75,000 BTU ceiling hung low profile unit. New so it wasn't the deal you found.

I can keep it 72 while its -20 outside. I don't like being cold tinkering out in the garage.

I added a window AC unit about 5 years ago, I don't like sweating while out in it in the summer either. lol

I wish I had a building the size or yours on my property, my garage is only 22x24.

Hopefully I can talk the wife into Moving, this lot is very small and the town here would not allow another building like yours built on it.

Just Me

you can find old trailer home furnaces fairly cheap, set ya up a propane tank outside and wahhh laaa ..easy heat. Very common in northern wisconsin for garage furnaces:thumb:

phototec

Got CO?

Two things Old Paint, first be very careful with that heater, you are suppose to feed outside air to the burners, so you don't deplete all the oxygen in your shop, and second, you need to vent the carbon monoxide to the outside, it can kill you!

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death.

http://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm

Custom Bob

WOW!!! Old Paint you better get a chimney pipe on that and vent it outside.
They say Old Paint never Dies! But in this case you better get a pipe on it ASAP.

OldPaint

phototec & custom bob, reread..........i said:
once i put it in place i will run a 3" chimney outdoors.
also iam going to make a plenum to cover the bottom and have outside air feed the flame once its in it permanent location. i got to hang it bout 8 ft off the floor, shop roof is 16 ft.

surf city

Nice deal OP heat is always good.....well unless your Doug and you don't need heat. It's 6 am and it's 27 degrees out right now here in Jersey and I wish I was someplace warm.

BobM

Thank God OP.................))))))))))))))))))))) got heat. I was worried he would freeze his little, well you know what I mean, while working in his green speedo during this............)))))))))))overheating due to global warming..............)))))))))))that George Bush created.

A warm and Merry Christmas to Ya OP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..........))))))))))))))).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey OP... you have to be careful with a pilot or if it has the pipes where the gas comes out with full flame. If you're spraying or any other chemicals that are airborne.... someone might view that as a type of bomb.

An old shop of ours had that type heaters and when our insurance provider came through... we had problems. Had to agree to cease doing certain things and sign waivers. We weren't even supposed to use rattle cans in the same room.

round man

Joe there are alot of those type heaters used here in shops,..first of all they are`designed to be hung from the ceiling. secondly they need exhaust and fresh air feeds as others and yourself have noted,..,.last of all they work well in sign shops as long as you don't start spraying excessive amounts of paint so as to acumulate considerable amounts of explosive gases that might ignite,..I've seen them used in old body shops but they had paint booths with a separate exhaust system for the fumes. any other painting should be fine as long as you don't use gas for thinner,..good luck and keep warm dude,...

btropical.com

Make wood box like a mattress put tempered glass on front then a black sheet of coroplast on back with plywood backing, cut 1 inch hole one end put solar fan in other end with ducting to run in shop . face south Basically free heat .