• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gotta love clients....

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Had a local client come in this morning, placed an order for his printing company for 100 coros and some banners the other day. Got them done a little earlier than planned for him. He came in with a box of Dunkin Donuts and a full box of coffee with all the fixins! Gotta love that. My crew was quite happy to say the least. :D

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Had a local client come in this morning, placed an order for his printing company for 100 coros and some banners the other day. Got them done a little earlier than planned for him. He came in with a box of Dunkin Donuts and a full box of coffee with all the fixins! Gotta love that. My crew was quite happy to say the least. :D
WYLDGFI Consider this: Write a five star review on Google about the local company.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, write and brag about how they brought in donuts and coffee for everyone, so now all of their other vendors will either feel left out or expect the same treatment.

Really, can't a good deed just be that ?? A good deed ?? No fuss hasta be made about someone doing something nice. The time to make something out of it, is while it's being done. Praising someone for that looks mighty petty in my book. It should just be between you (and maybe your staff) and them.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Yeah, write and brag about how they brought in donuts and coffee for everyone, so now all of their other vendors will either feel left out or expect the same treatment.

Really, can't a good deed just be that ?? A good deed ?? No fuss hasta be made about someone doing something nice. The time to make something out of it, is while it's being done. Praising someone for that looks mighty petty in my book. It should just be between you (and maybe your staff) and them.
Gino The five star review is to boost the local business. No need to mention donuts. Just tell the world about how this local business is surviving in this difficult time. In other words, become the champion for this local business.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Gino The five star review is to boost the local business. No need to mention donuts. Just tell the world about how this local business is surviving in this difficult time. In other words, become the champion for this local business.
I like that idea...but after consideration....I have to be careful about doing something like that for a client of mine. A potential new client can click on our profile thru our review of him, and link to ours....oops. Unintended consequence of promoting ourselves (wholesale only) on our clients google reviews. We're the guys in the shadows making everyone else look good. Thats our job and we love it....the donuts and coffee are a great thanks and bonus for my staff. Makes them feel good for sure.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I like that idea...but after consideration....I have to be careful about doing something like that for a client of mine. A potential new client can click on our profile thru our review of him, and link to ours....oops. Unintended consequence of promoting ourselves (wholesale only) on our clients google reviews. We're the guys in the shadows making everyone else look good. Thats our job and we love it....the donuts and coffee are a great thanks and bonus for my staff. Makes them feel good for sure.
WYLDGFI Take another look. Login into your own personal Google account. Search for your local client. Write a five star review just about them. Nothing about promoting yourself, just giving them a much needed boost. Here is another idea. Have a couple of your staff members who know this client very well login into their own personal Google account and write a review. The core of what I am attempting to encourage is boosting your local client. And, avoid any hint of promoting yourself.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Robert...... can you explain how one writes a review for another company ?? I've been under the impression you get people to write about your business, when they've received good work from you..... not you providing work for a customer. How does that work in reverse ??

Yeah, ABC Company just got a buncha signs from us, so they must be doing well. Get your next whatever it is they sell from them next time you're looking for whatever it is you're looking for. They want your business..... whatever it is.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Robert, how many of your customers have you given a positive rating to... this week? Do you practice what you preach? Or do you not have any customers to review?

Last edited:

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Robert...... can you explain how one writes a review for another company ?? I've been under the impression you get people to write about your business, when they've received good work from you..... not you providing work for a customer. How does that work in reverse ??

Yeah, ABC Company just got a buncha signs from us, so they must be doing well. Get your next whatever it is they sell from them next time you're looking for whatever it is you're looking for. They want your business..... whatever it is.
Gino This conversation could go off in a thousand different directions. Let's focus on just one of your favorite local business clients, one who has gone through some rough struggles and is starting to thrive. Once you have picked that one client, begin to draft a review that has only one intent, give them a boost. You could write about one of their success stories. Just to express how you admire what they are doing in these challenging times. Before you publish your review, get input from a variety of other interested people, maybe even ask for feedback from your client. Yes, it will take some precious time. As I see it, it is time well spent.

Last edited:

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Robert, how many of your customers have you given a positive rating to... this week? Do you do practice what you preach? Or do you not have any customers to review?
Boudica Yes, I do give positive reviews to my clients. I simply encourage you to consider using this tactic as a way to boost your own local business clients. If you have a problem with that, so be it.

MikePro

huge fan of writing unsolicited 5star reviews for companies we do business with... but not right away. Unwritten rule that you've gotta wait at least two days or you appear clingy.

Jeremiah

Boudica Yes, I do give positive reviews to my clients. I simply encourage you to consider using this tactic as a way to boost your own local business clients. If you have a problem with that, so be it.
A "Tactic" that creates Phoney Reviews and people begging for you to give a review. I think any review should just happen without planning out how to gain as many as possible !. I just say Please and Thank You in person, it just feels better than planning your "Tactic" . I would never request someone to post a review or give one for a Donut ! .

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
A "Tactic" that creates Phoney Reviews and people begging for you to give a review. I think any review should just happen without planning out how to gain as many as possible !. I just say Please and Thank You in person, it just feels better than planning your "Tactic" . I would never request someone to post a review or give one for a Donut ! .
Jeremiah Thank you for your input, feedback. Let me emphasize the intent of writing a review about a local business. The intent is only to boost the local business. When you write the review, you could create an anonymous/pseudonym account. Again, the mindset is NOT to promote yourself or your business, but rather to boost the local business.
Now, Jeremiah, if you still are not sure about what I am getting at, please feel free to continue this conversation.

Jeremiah

Mentor ... ? I stated my opinion. You should respect the opinions of others ! You have NEVER shown me that you have any qualifications or successful experience , to lecture people as to what they should do and how to be successful ! Just listen and stop talking about things that you have read in books. Why not build your sharpening business and make that your Success story.

Stacey K

I like making signs
This is the extent of my reviews: On a Facebook post by a business, posting as myself only if there are other comments: "Had the Duck Bacon Grilled Cheese last night too, was FANTASTIC!". I also follow some of my good customers business pages as my personal self and make sure to "like" a lot of their posts. Here and there I might comment, "That landscaping looks awesome, what are the shrubs on the left?". Again, I'm never the first commenter but why not jump on the bandwagon a couple times a year? Some of my customers do the same for me, it's a nice way to support local business without actually posting a review.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Mentor ... ? I stated my opinion. You should respect the opinions of others ! You have NEVER shown me that you have any qualifications or successful experience , to lecture people as to what they should do and how to be successful ! Just listen and stop talking about things that you have read in books. Why not build your sharpening business and make that your Success story.
Jeremiah On your first item here, if you think that I do not respect your opinion, please accept my apology.

binki

Good deal. We did some patches for a startup motorcycle club and part of their logo was a guy holding a bottle of JD. When the patches were ready he paid for the patches and gave me a double-fifth of JD. Gotta love bikers.