• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphics, Grapes & Fruitcake...

GypsyGraphics

A guy emails me last week, says he needs a Christmas ad ASAP. I tell him if the images he wants in the ad are print quality (high resolution, 300 dpi @ 100%, NOT 72 dpi web graphics) and he can get them to me by Friday, I can have the ad ready for proofing Monday.

I haven't done any work for this guy, and don't want to commit to meeting his super short deadline, unless I know his logo and images are decent.

Imagine my surprise when he sends me graphics from his website. To which I reply...

The images you sent appear to have come off your website and are not suitable for print. If you don't have high resolution images, I suggest you go directly to the designer who created your logo and the photographer who did your product shoot and tell them you need "high resolution images, ASAP, for a print ad.

He writes back...
Can you explain exactly what I need, and please speak English.

Friday I sent him this...
Your graphic designer and photographer will understand, if tell them you need your graphics for a print ad (300dpi @ full size).
But for your own reference, as a winemaker, i thought this little visual might help.

attachment.php

Graphics Grapes & Fruitcake.jpg

i'm still waiting to hear back from him. :popcorn:

Last edited:

smdgrfx

that is too funny....I basically do this all the time. I try to make them relate on a level they understand.

2NinerNiner2

"We" got our "lingo" ... the person who potentially wants to give you money has got "their lingo" .... if this person who wants to potentially give you their money, understood "your lingo", chances are, they would have already bought a chinese cutter and have been doing it themselves already :) ... then signed up here, and everyone would be ragging on them :)

The point is, it is so easy to be caught up in what "you do" that one does not understand that your potential client, that is, the person who wants to give you their money, is not versed in what it is you do .... that is why the come to you in the first place.

OK all you sign persons that own airplanes .... let me know just exactly what it is that you want done on your next anual, and you had better darn well get the lingo and the wording exactly correct or I will blast you out on the "Aircraft Engineers 101" forum :)

GypsyGraphics

GG
Can I use It?
Thanks Bruce:clapping:

sure Bruce, you're welcome to use it (just leave my little g's in the corners)

"We" got our "lingo" ... the person who potentially wants to give you money has got "their lingo" .... if this person who wants to potentially give you their money, understood "your lingo", chances are, they would have already bought a chinese cutter and have been doing it themselves already :) ... then signed up here, and everyone would be ragging on them :)

The point is, it is so easy to be caught up in what "you do" that one does not understand that your potential client, that is, the person who wants to give you their money, is not versed in what it is you do .... that is why the come to you in the first place.

well, with just days to get the proper graphics and do his ad layout...
it doesn't leave much time for hand-holding and certainly not enough time to learn a new language.

i'm assuming his "please speak English" comment was in jest, as was my comic strip. if he doesn't take it in the humors manner it was intended... aaand he's the kinda of guy who, wants what he wants, when he wants it... but can't hold up his end... i don't mind squashing any hopes for future business with him, like a grape.

Craig Sjoquist

It is not the lingo it is customer wanted you to do 100% of the work with what a sign painter did with customers drawing and words on a napkin before, probably less.

I really like your cartoon was a good laugh and right on.

Welcome to to the new world

GypsyGraphics

THIS JUST IN....

Gigi,
I take my business very serious, and wasn't sure what to make of your drawing. My first thought was, you could have done my ad in the time you took to draw that.

I've since shown the drawing to my wife and a business partner, both of whom picked up on the humor that I initially missed. My wife had to point out the grape stained legs and explain "don't call me Shirley."

I am still disappointed that the ad deadline will be missed, but understand, if you'd had the right photos, I'd have received my ad instead of stick figures. I'll be sure to have the proper files to you after the holidays and look forward to working with you in the new year.

Is it just me, or does this guy still sound a little ticked-off? I'm so tempted to write back "i look forward to working with your wife and/or business partner in the new year." Of course i wouldn't write that but the two of them sure sound more reasonable than he does... and waaaaay more enjoyable to work with.

Does it sound to you like he thinks i wasted time doodling and that he doesn't get why the deadline was missed?

I like to wait to respond to emails, that leave me scratching my head.

Bigdawg

Just Me
He's ticked, but only because his wife got it and he didn't. Wish him Happy Holidays and tell him you look forward to working with him too. It sounds like he understood in the end.

WildWestDesigns

I would say ticked off due to the "first thought was, you could have done my ad in the time you took to draw that." If that really was his first thought, I doubt that he would have come off of that entirely after finding out the humor in it from his wife and business partner. But then again he could have. I just doubt it.

GypsyGraphics

he sounds like the high-falutin' type. i wanted to think he was meaning to be funny when he said "speak english."

oh well, his money spends just as well as every other client. i just have to remind myself... i'm not in this for the fun of it.

although i kinda am... cuz when it's no longer fun, i'll probably need to do something else.

GypsyGraphics

Awesome.

Doesn't sound like he 100% understands that he is the reason that it didn't get done in time...but I wouldn't burn that bridge because of it.

Tell em happy holidays etc. and we'll talk next year.

sounds to me like he'd have blown me off, if it weren't for his wife and partner. i think i like them :tongue:

i can understand not getting the "don't call me Shirley"
but seriously, how does a wine maker NOT notice purple legs :help

LMAO....you're getting coal in your stocking.

no i'm not, i've been good!
okay maybe not "good" ... i'll probably get a lump of fruitcake in my stocking.

skyhigh

Gigi,
I take my business very serious, and wasn't sure what to make of your drawing. My first thought was, you could have done my ad in the time you took to draw that.

I've since shown the drawing to my wife and a business partner, both of whom picked up on the humor that I initially missed. My wife had to point out the grape stained legs and explain "don't call me Shirley."

I am still disappointed that the ad deadline will be missed, but understand, if you'd had the right photos, I'd have received my ad instead of stick figures. I'll be sure to have the proper files to you after the holidays and look forward to working with you in the new year.

After your cartoon, and this guy is writing you back (admitting he "missed" your humor)? Sounds like he will be a good customer to deal with.

I'm betting your cartoon (especially the "fruit cake website") didn't sit well with him at first. I'm guessing his wife found you very funny.

GypsyGraphics

so ummm... is sending this client a fruitcake for Christmas totally out of the question?

i better not. i think i can behave myself... at least till i get a deposit on the next job.

Last edited:

Border

I LOVE your sense of humor!

Now for your reply, maybe you should just send him this. Really test his tolerance!

I've sent this before and it usually works well for giving them the blow-off, if that's what you're hoping for.

Attachments

• Bunny-Pancakes-NEW.jpg
    Bunny-Pancakes-NEW.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 89